Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 13, 2019   #38
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
While Carolyn and I both agree on Prue being unique, we may have different reasons why. I'll attempt to explain mine.

Prue, to me, is unique because my perception is that there is some flavor component that I cannot detect. When I taste it, there is an area (taste bud, I must assume ) near the back of my tongue that doesn't pick anything up. It seems like all other areas (that taste tomato compounds) respond except this one area. And, Prue is the one and only tomato, out of the 1,500-2,000 that I've tried that I perceive to have this trait. And, my perception may be wrong, because when I pick up a Prue, I'm already biased about what I expect.
We all know the 5 tastes the human tongue can detect: sweet, sour, salty, bitter & umami. Could Prue be the newly discovered 6th flavor?? History in the making here!
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flavor , profile , tasting , unique