Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 4, 2016   #31
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Hmmm, that must settle it then. Buuuuut, wait, Andrey likes it, and the variety is still around, so there must be something about it to be liked...
At least the color is beautiful - no black/marroon tomato can be completely off!!
National Geographic has a genome testing project for IDing where your ancesters came from,not for medical purposes, but just your DNA origin.

They just lowered the price and I'm going to participate, my brother said he would pay half, but much more info is available for women due to their unique mitochondrial DNA.

So how much Denisovan, or Neanderthal or Eastern European, or western European or Asian DNA, etc., do we each have? Well,we all have Neanderthal DNA,that's well known.

First the pictures

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...24.R2212J4JL0g

And now the articles,look for NG links

https://www.google.com/search?q=Nati..._AUIBigA&dpr=1

Summary?

Andrey has different taste genes that allow him to absolutely love Purple Calabash..

Carolyn
Old May 4, 2016   #32
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

That makes sense - since I'm from Eastern European / Fenno-Ugric ancestry, I just might be able to like Purple Calabash as well
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2016   #33
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Well, this does not count since i have no idea what it is....and why i'm not fond of lost tag mystery tomatoes...

In my avatar photo in the lower right corner is a dull brown thing.
We still laugh about it as that was a party tasting, with other grilled goodies....

Tasted like a wet old mushroom. Earthy can be good but this was zero bland like dirt. I've not yet rated toms on any scale but that was a 1.5. out of 10. One for even growing. .5 for making all others a 10 in comparison.

I am a bit obsessive now to tag carefully so i no longer waste space on duds.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2016   #34
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

More proof that not all "black" tomatoes are great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
Well, this does not count since i have no idea what it is....and why i'm not fond of lost tag mystery tomatoes...

In my avatar photo in the lower right corner is a dull brown thing.
We still laugh about it as that was a party tasting, with other grilled goodies....

Tasted like a wet old mushroom. Earthy can be good but this was zero bland like dirt. I've not yet rated toms on any scale but that was a 1.5. out of 10. One for even growing. .5 for making all others a 10 in comparison.

I am a bit obsessive now to tag carefully so i no longer waste space on duds.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2016   #35
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Copia to me tasted like soured baby diaper smells or maybe a soured mildewed wash rag.
Very unique.
It would pair well with mud cat or skunk scent gland etouffee.

Worth
I think Snow White cherry tomato has a unique taste--the first time I bit into one I thought of skunk/skunk weed, or a really hard to describe taste. It won the "Sweetest Tomato" award numerous times...
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2016   #36
oakley
Tomatovillian™

...and why i traveled 4 days with your start tray Fred in our book crate, lol. Crossed the Canadian border, the StLawerenceSeaway on an overnight ferry, hit high wind snow storm, three hotel rooms...and they were the cull tray i could not leave behind.

Somehow twenty-two survived out of 15. (More babies, late bloomers came up). All have good homes here in Newfoundland. !0 just went of to StJohn's and the rest will be grown in my village in greenhouses.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2016   #37
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

I've already tried NDC. The other two linked varieties are interesting of course. Thank you, Carolyn

Don't know if I'm Neanderthal type or more complicated

I'm just Russian living in places where most of cities/town have been founded in VI-XII centuries. We are Slavic people.
Moscow (1147), Minsk (1067), Polotsk (862), Kiev (VI century).

So we have got very deep and old roots and history
And I can't imagine how we had been living happy without tasting tomatoes till 19-th century here

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I'm delighted to hear that Andrey.

May I send you seeds for

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...b=General_Info

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Sandpoint

And with this one please note Tania's taste comments.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Lutescent

Carolyn, who kept the suggestions to only three,but......

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; May 5, 2016 at 04:22 PM.
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2016   #38
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
I think Snow White cherry tomato has a unique taste--the first time I bit into one I thought of skunk/skunk weed, or a really hard to describe taste. It won the "Sweetest Tomato" award numerous times...
Oh no WHy did you remind me of this... Grown it two years ago, and really loved it .. It's warm now so I still might be able to sow a seed and get it growing...
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2016   #39
fantoma
Tomatovillian™

I still have to grow more tomatoes to conclude which ones have flavours all of their own.
fantoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2016   #40
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

My start tray? I don't know anything about this start tray, but it sounds like it took quite a romantic trip. Newfoundland, villages, etc. are exactly the type of place I think of when I think of great places to visit, clear the head and reflect.

But, you guys who grow tomatoes there are kind of like pioneers to me. I don't know how you do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
...and why i traveled 4 days with your start tray Fred in our book crate, lol. Crossed the Canadian border, the StLawerenceSeaway on an overnight ferry, hit high wind snow storm, three hotel rooms...and they were the cull tray i could not leave behind.

Somehow twenty-two survived out of 15. (More babies, late bloomers came up). All have good homes here in Newfoundland. !0 just went of to StJohn's and the rest will be grown in my village in greenhouses.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2016   #41
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Biyskaya Roza has really good unique taste. I grew it last year for the first time and am growing it again. I had more than 40 varieties in my garden last year and many excellent tasting. This one stand out. The taste was just different.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2016   #42
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Biyskaya Roza has really good unique taste. I grew it last year for the first time and am growing it again. I had more than 40 varieties in my garden last year and many excellent tasting. This one stand out. The taste was just different.
I think it is excellent variety too, am growing it again myself. Can't beat early varieties that taste good.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2016   #43
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
I loved that tomato, and I would not have known about it if it wasn't for you, Ella. I passed it on to many, and had many more requests after I ran out of seeds. Hopefully more will come available from others after the summer, since I had to disappoint so many.
I think it will make the final cut for next August's garden starts again.
Thank you Ella for the seeds.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2016   #44
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I loved that tomato, and I would not have known about it if it wasn't for you, Ella. I passed it on to many, and had many more requests after I ran out of seeds. Hopefully more will come available from others after the summer, since I had to disappoint so many.
I think it will make the final cut for next August's garden starts again.
Thank you Ella for the seeds.
I got seeds from Tatiana, unfortunately she does not offer them this year.
We will have to collect seeds.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2016   #45
artis
Tomatovillian™

Two tomatoes that have a unique and great taste in my opinion are Prue (as many others have mentioned) and Lillian's Yellow Heirloom.

On a side note, I like Purple Calabash quite well although I do not think that it has a unique taste, it just tastes much more acidic to me than other "black" tomatoes.

I once grew Carolyn's favorite tomato Sandpoint and found that it did not have any taste at all for me. There must be some major differences in taste perception among different people.
artis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flavor , profile , tasting , unique