Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old October 25, 2014   #1
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Default Experiment Pepper

I've posted in a couple threads about an experiment pepper I grew this year. It started last December when I tossed a seed from a store bought sweet yummy pepper (those red, orange, yellow small peppers) into a potted plant in our kitchen. It sprouted so I grew it. I decided to try pinching the plant to see how that would work--that was a good choice and I think I'll try that with all my pepper this year (and starting them early). The first flush of peppers set and they ended up being medium sized bright orange blocky very thick walled bells--some of the best bells I've grown or eaten. That showed me the peppers I got at the store were hybrids. The first flush fruit--all ripened in July were completely seedless--not a single seed on 15-20 peppers. Then a second set of fruit set and those have ripened in very late September and October. Most of the second wave of fruits were also seedless, although from about 20 peppers I've harvested maybe 15 seeds--most of those were 2-4 seeds in a few peppers.

So my question, what do you think is going on? Male sterile gene and these 15 or so seeds represent foreign pepper pollen that was delivered via insects? (That even assumes I understand how the male sterile gene works). With the first wave of fruits I thought it was maybe just fruit setting in cool temps--but the second wave set in the middle of summer. Any ideas?
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2014   #2
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

It sounds like a male-sterile gene. The sterility isn't always 100%, so they may result from selfing if the plant has remained inside and away from pollinators.
Old October 27, 2014   #3
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

No the plant spent the entire summer on the deck so pollinators certainly would have made visits. I was growing other peppers in the backyard as well.

So is the most likely scenario that each seed represents some sort of cross?
Old October 27, 2014   #4
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
So is the most likely scenario that each seed represents some sort of cross?
The test would be to grow out those seeds and find out.
Old October 27, 2014   #5
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I'm going to grow 3 plants (at least that's the 2015 plan now). And assuming the seeds germinate. Thanks for the feedback.
Old August 12, 2015   #6
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Well the answer is they represent a cross. The experiment peppers in 2014 were orange bells (seed saved from a store bought snacking pepper). The peppers were delicious but nearly seedless. This year I am growing a few plants (4) and they are the same. Decent sized planted with a more yummy shape ripening to bright red. I assumed they were sweet and dove into the first ripe one and holy God were they hot. Granted I got a lot of ribs and seeds in my bite but my lips and mouth burned for 20 minutes. So they may look innocent but surely are not. Now I've never dove into a Serrano or jalapeño but they seemed at least as hot as a Serrano, but I'd guess more hot. Not sure how heat genetics work, can crosses of a sweet pepper and hot pepper yield a hotter pepper than the parent? My guess is no. I've deseeded some and used them on sandwiches, they were somewhat hot and had a nice juicy crunch.

So if anyone would like seeds of these surely unstable peppers I'd be happy to share some once they are dry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (278.1 KB, 137 views)

Last edited by jmsieglaff; August 13, 2015 at 09:21 AM.
Old August 12, 2015   #7
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

hah! The danger of pepper genetics is revealed!
Old August 16, 2015   #8
lexxluthor
Tomatovillian™

Nice little surprise.
lexxluthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2015   #9
Reelcharacter
Tomatovillian™

How was the plant size and how productive were they this year?

Reelcharacter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2015   #10
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I had two plants in a 5 gallon bucket and 2 in the ground. All 4 plants produced a lot of peppers. I didn't count but I'd guess probably 30-40 a plant. I gave a bunch to our neighbors. They are the size of a big snacking pepper. No idea what to expect out of these next year given the genetic history.