Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 18, 2007   #1
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default More info on three new varieties I grew last year - Shannon's, etc

This will be of particular interest to Feldon, Grub, Retiree - and anyone else whom I've shared seeds of these new (to me) heirlooms.

The tomato that I called unnamed German heirloom last year (a really nice tomato, large reg. leaf pink): I just found the seed packet and envelope that the seeds came in. I got them last spring from Ron Simmons of Walnut Cove, NC. The packet says Hege, Davidson County, German Pink (Hege is underlined). My inclination is to name it Hege German Pink - I will write back to Mr. Simmons to see what else I can find out.

Shannon's is from Greg Fee of Waxhaw, NC. His grandparents, Polish immigrants, lived in Cannonsburg PA, and always grew a "Russian" tomato that they got from someone in the neighborhood (a Russian immigrant who got them from his homeland). Once Greg saw how many generically named "Russian" tomatoes there were, he renamed it for his daughter - hence "Shannon's". It is regular leaf, wispy, and produces delicious long but still somewhat blocky (between Opalka and a heart in shape) red tomatoes. I've not seen anything quite like it - Prue is a bit smaller and more narrow. Bisignano is more variable in shape.

Someone at the FArmer's Market also handed me a small packet of seeds labeled Pa Fine's German Johnson. I grew it last year - it is potato leaf, large oblate pink, with very few seeds (I've not shared it with anyone yet). I couldn't save very many seeds at all - flavor was very good.

Also, just for completeness, about Anna Banana Russian...I received it from Michael Walker, Ellensburg, WA. He calls it a sport or mutation from Anna Russian, as it comes true for him (and me as well) - bright yellow, 10-12 ounce blunt heart shaped fruit, good flavor, wispy foliage.
Old December 18, 2007   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Glad to hear it won't be simply "mystery German heirloom" but has some history. I'll wait to start naming it until you get confirmation. Of course because it's pink, it can't be on my "must grow Red list" now can it?

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2007   #3
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Craig.

Always great to get some history on what we are growing or intend to grow. Now, I take Patrina has the seeds? Sounds like a must-grow, in fact, the more I read this the more I need them.

Best wishes. Grubs.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2007   #4
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

craig...... any connection of Hege German Pink tomato with the Hege family of Davidson Co., NC?? I'll bet there is.
Some years back there was a Hege elected Sheriff of Davidson Co. & he was a very controversial person. Will be interesting to discover if Mr. Simmons knows the origins of this tomato and if it is somehow connected with this family.
LarryD
Old December 18, 2007   #5
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default German Pink Tomato

Craig, I'm pleased you are growing the Hege German Pink. It is a good tomato. Ron Simmons is a great guy and grows for the Farmer's Market up in his area. We talk tomatoes and watermelons from time to time.
I'm sending you an e-mail!
Thanks for sharing your growing information here.
Gary
Old December 18, 2007   #6
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Fantastic - the pieces of the puzzle are coming together on this one. I really enjoyed it last year (as did others who tasted it). Will look for your email!
Old December 18, 2007   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Craig, someone sent me seeds for that unknown German one and I'm so glad it now has a name.

So let me jot down Hege German Pink somewhere on a piece of paper which I will no doubt misplace, but I know I can ask you again or come back to the search feature here at Tville and find it.

I've heard good things about it and hope to be able to grow it next summer.
Old June 2, 2008   #8
Suze
Tomatovillian™

I've had a nice harvest of Hege German Pink this year. It's been one of my most productive pinks so far. Great flavor.

Click for Larger Size
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2008   #9
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

WOW, Suze! Gorgrous! 8)
Old June 5, 2008   #10
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Craig, is the final name to be Hege German Pink? Let me know if you've changed your mind on this one. I've entered it into PlantFiles, but can always change the name if you want.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/172752/
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2008   #11
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Haven't really thought much about it, Suze - Gary may be the best authority on what to call it, since he had it before I did, and knows more of the history than I do (it was very, very sketchy in the letter that I received with the seeds). I am happy with whatever it ends up being!
Old June 5, 2008   #12
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze View Post
Craig, is the final name to be Hege German Pink? Let me know if you've changed your mind on this one. I've entered it into PlantFiles, but can always change the name if you want.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/172752/
Suze,

Can I beg you to enter it into TOMATObase as well?

Thanks a ton!
Tania

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2009   #13
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default L.E. Hege Jr.. Obituary

With additional research I have been able to locate the following:
I thought those who are growing Mr. Hege's German Pink tomato would be interested in knowing that he died almost a year ago. Mr. Hege germinated hundreds and hundreds (thousands) of this tomato each year and sold the seedlings at the Farmer's Markets in several locations near his home in Welcome, NC. During the summer he grew and sold them at the Farmer's Markets. Visitors to market always selected his tomatoes for home use over any other growers or varieties there! They loved the taste and quality! I understand he acquired the German Pink from an elderly gentleman who grew for market many years ago. So, it is an honor to continue the legacy passed on to us from the men who made growing this tomato for their livelihood.
Gary

L.E. Hege Jr.
WELCOME — Lacy Eugene Hege Jr., 86, of Craver Road, died Monday, May 19, 2008, at Lexington Memorial Hospital.
Funeral service will be held at 11 a.m. Friday at Davidson Funeral Home, Hickory Tree Chapel with the Rev. Dennis Caudle and the Rev. Ray Surratt officiating. Burial will follow at Mt. Oliver United Methodist Church Cemetery.
The family will receive friends from 6 to 8 p.m. today at Davidson Funeral Home, Hickory Tree Chapel and other times at the home.
Davidson Funeral Home, Hickory Tree Chapel is serving the family.
Online condolences may be made at www.davidsonfuneralhome.net.
Old January 25, 2009   #14
Patrina_Pepperina
Cross Hemisphere Dwarf Project™ Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub View Post
Thanks Craig.
Now, I take Patrina has the seeds?
Grub, I have Anna Banana Russian (thought I sent you some, but if not let me know) and Shannon's (can send some with Orange Heirloom). Here's the Shannon's my son grew last season:

PP
Old January 25, 2009   #15
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

VGary,

Thank you very much for filling in the gaps on the Hege German Pink story. It truly is a fantastic tomato, comparable to Brandywine (which I don't say lightly), and productive as all get out.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote