Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 19, 2011   #16
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrownDogHouse View Post
I'm growing this variety for the first time and I am really excited about it.
However, I'm a bit stumped.

My plant is huge, 8 feet at the time, which I have read on many sites the BRM has the ability to be GIGANTIC! It was planted around Memorial Day and planted very deep. It is the "Redwood" of my backyard tomato garden.

However, it doesn't have a Potato Leaf.

The leaves are big, lush-dark green(especially at the bottom of the plant) but basically, I think, look normal shaped.

I'm firing up my other computer which has the picture program and I am hoping to figure out how to download some pictures to this site. That computer takes time so bear with me and I also have to run out this morning for a while.

I read on gardenweb(which states Carolyn wrote most of the article) that Potato Leafs can vary. I hope that is the case. I'm hoping it is what you called a Roguse leaf. I'm learning.....

Carolyn, are you out there? I hope I can upload some photos. I'm excited about this plant. It's producing like crazy and looks as healthy as can be. The bottom leaves are so thick and sturdy I think I could use one for a hammock.

I just hope it's legit.

Thanks so much for any help!
YEs, I'm out there, or here, as a matter of fact.

First, every single person who lists it in the 2011 SSE YEarbook lists it as PL and that includes Tania as well, so there should be pictures at her site. And if you go to Garden Web and the FAQ's there's an article that I wrote many years ago before Tville opened and there are pictures there that illustrate the various leaf shapes that one can see. The pictures were provided by others to illustrate the FAQ/

I don't have any idea of the article you refer to at GW, but I'm sure I didn't say that potato leafs can vary, I'm not sure what that means. I have said that when one first looks at leaves on a small seedling they may look PL but as the plants mature they then become RL. So I have said that sometimes it's hard to ID a young seedling as being PL or Rl b'c of that.

And there was once a link to a German website that Bill Malin did that showed a few variations in PL leaf forms, but it was more of a botanical classification than a useful one to most folks, at least IMO.

And I'm sure I wasn't speaking to the situation where a specific variety has an RL original and a PL variant of that variety b/c I have rather strong feelings about that issue.

You mentioned rugose leaves above, but again, from the get go, and I mean going back to the late 80's no one that I can remember has ever said that this variety has rugose leaves, which are fairly easy to ID; note the reference to the FAQ at GW above.

Above you also said huge as in Gigantic at 8 ft which I can't resonate with since I grow almost all my varieties by sprawling, but all say the variety is indeterminate and 8 ft is well within limits for an indet.

Why don't you take some pictures of the elaves at the bottom of the plant, in themiddle and at the top for I think that might help/
Old July 19, 2011   #17
BigBrownDogHouse
Tomatovillian™

Hoping these pictures come through. First time trying to upload photos. I took my camera out of a nice cold house and the lens immediately frosted up outside. Had to keep wiping it off. Wow! It's hot!

I have other Potato Leafs in the garden so that is why I am puzzled on this one.

It's quite a plant!

Thanks again for all the help! You guys/gals are the best!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_2665.jpg (100.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 101_2666.jpg (128.8 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 101_2679.jpg (215.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 101_2684.jpg (164.1 KB, 45 views)
BigBrownDogHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2011   #18
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

The leaves do look a little different from my PL. The first three photos kind of look PL, but the 4th not so much. It will be interesting to see what Carolyn says.

I am fairly certain I have the correct BRM. My tomatoes match up nicely with the photos on Tania's website. I purchased my seeds at www.mariseeds.com.

And I almost forgot to mention that my plant is somewhere between 7 - 8 feet tall.
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2011   #19
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I'll go with the first three being PL, but not the fourth, as I see it.

Were the pictures taken at different areas on the same plant?
Old July 19, 2011   #20
BigBrownDogHouse
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I'll go with the first three being PL, but not the fourth, as I see it.

Were the pictures taken at different areas on the same plant?
Starting at the bottom and working up towards the newest growth.
Old July 21, 2011   #21
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Do the tomatoes on your plant look similar to the tomatoes shown here: http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...Ridge_Mountain ?
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2011   #22
BigBrownDogHouse
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark0820 View Post
Do the tomatoes on your plant look similar to the tomatoes shown here: http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...Ridge_Mountain ?
Hi!

Yea, I've actually looked at that page quite a few times. The little green tomatoes on mine look like the little green tomatoes on that page. However, with about 45 different types this year, I kind of have a lot that look like that.

I just got in from the yard again after taking another look at these leaves.
The leaves are looking very regular to me.
I have a Potato Leaf growing right next to it so it is easy to see that they are not the same.

I should have some time later this afternoon and will clip a leaf and bring it inside and take pictures. It will be more clear than the other ones I took.

I, of course, wanted a legit BRM but I really just want great tasting tomatoes. I'll give it another shot next year, I guess!

I'd swear all my baby BRM's had potato leaf's this spring. I gave them all away except this one.