Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 25, 2009   #16
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default Hege German Pink Tomato

Feldon, Thanks for sharing your experience with this good tomato. We have so many folks to thank for saving and sharing these wonderful varieties with others!
Gary

You have mail .....
Old January 26, 2009   #17
maryinoregon
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like Hege's German Pink is a keeper and I'm glad it's being passed on. Anyone have a sense of how it would grow in a short season area? Although I will never completely call the Pacific Northwest a short season climate. It really depends on where you live.

Patrina, what did you think of Anna Banana Russian? I know Ellensburg somewhat. It's a hot and dry place during the summer. Tomatoes grown in the Yakima Valley, not too far away are fabulous and the conditions are the same. Hot and dry. Did you think it was just good or a bit better than that?

Love reading the history of these new to us varieties. Thanks for sharing your results/pictures everyone.
maryinoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2009   #18
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Anyone have a sense of how it would grow in a short season area?
Mary -- You asked the question that I was just getting ready to ask. Brandywine is out of the question here, so I always hope for the next best thing!

Sherry
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2009   #19
maryinoregon
Tomatovillian™

Sherry, the last few summers in my part of the PNW have been on the coolish side. The former Oregon state climatologist says the Pacific Northwest is in an approximately 20 year cooler period. I have had fabulous growing summers for long season tomatoes, but as you say, I'm always on the lookout for a shorter season tomato. Couldn't hurt, and I will keep growing the longer season types to show that it can be done.
Old January 26, 2009   #20
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Suze,
Great platter. There's a dinner in that.

PP,
I grew Anna Banana Russian last year: productive, good golden yellow colour, taste was good.

I am interested in Hege German Pink and Shannon's. But as I'm not even mid-way through my harvest, there's no hurry at all.

Thanks for the reply. Sure sound like some interesting ones.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2009   #21
Patrina_Pepperina
Cross Hemisphere Dwarf Project™ Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryinpnw View Post
S
Patrina, what did you think of Anna Banana Russian?
Mary, I remember that it was beautiful bright yellow and nice and meaty. I didn't write down any notes since it wasn't a dwarf and I forget the taste!

Must try to grow it again...

Have a great season up there in the PNW!!

Patrina
Old January 29, 2009   #22
maryinoregon
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Patrina. Couldn't have been that interesting since you can't remember the taste. But would love to try it grown in the volcanic soil of Ellensburg. Great place to grow tomatoes.
Old January 30, 2009   #23
elkwc36
Tomatovillian™

Did well in a bad year here. And here was better than BW has ever been. A great tomato. On my must grow list now. Jay
elkwc36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2011   #24
organichris
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing Hege German Pink this year, and just sampled my first one the other day. Very tasty tomato and it has produced during this extremely hot summer, though not exceptionally well. This is my best pink by far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hege.jpg (81.4 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by organichris; July 18, 2011 at 12:42 PM. Reason: grammar
organichris is offline   Reply With Quote