Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 21, 2011   #1
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Default Beginner - getting ready to start

And hoping for beginners luck too!

Well my peppers are started, germinated by baggie/paper towel method. Almost 100% germination, so Jalapeno M and Serrano are in the dirt, and cooking on the DirecTV box. That went fast - I just started them wednesday.

I want to make sure I do everything right with the tomatoes - the time is getting close. Here's what I'm planning:

I have wire shelving, got the full-spectrum T12 bulbs at a good price. So 2 fixtures (4 bulbs) per shelf.

The nursery sold me Sunshine Professional Growers mix or some such - they called it Metro-Mix 200, and said it's what they use to start all their seeds.

I have well water with a lot of iron, a water softener, and then a RO filter. So I was going to use the water from the RO for the seedlings. It isn't good enough for a Aerogarden, but seems to be just fine for houseplants. If anyone thinks this will be a big problem, please let me know.

So moisten the mix, put in the seeds, sprinkle more mix over the top and mist. Cover with plastic wrap/domes until most germinate.

I know to soak some of the older seeds. I might even try the paper towel method with a few, as insurance. Or is just sowing the better?

Basil, Chard, etc. I'll do the same.

I think I'll be doing this in my basement - it's a little cooler than the house, but not much really - probably upper 60s.

Any thoughts welcome
tam91 is offline   Reply With Quote