Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 8, 2011   #1
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Default Fermentation - what went wrong?

I have saved two batches of seed from the Zima tomatoes I got at the store.

The first batch, it took a little while (inside the house, central heat) but I got a nice fungus mat. I dried them, and then germination tested them - 10 out of 10 germinated. So far so good (all of the seeds I sent out are from this batch).

The second batch that I tried, they sat for a long time. Never got a fungus mat or any sign of fungus at all. I gave up, rinsed them off, and dried them. Tried to germination test them - none germinated (it's been quite a while, I'm pretty sure they're not going to).

So... what may have gone wrong? What can I do differently?

If I don't see a fungus mat or anything, how long should I leave the seeds before rinsing and drying them?
tam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2011   #2
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Normally 5-7 days is max for fermenting seeds irregardless whether you get a fungus mat or not. Just because you don't get a fungus mat doesn't mean the seeds are not viable. Ami
Old February 8, 2011   #3
tam91
Tomatovillian™

OK, maybe I left them too long then.

This last batch does not appear to be viable, none germinated. But I have more tomatoes, so I'll just try again.

So 5-7 days, then rinse and dry, mat or not.
Old February 9, 2011   #4
b54red
Tomatovillian™

If the seeds soak too long they begin to germinate. I did this on a couple of batches too and most of the seed were useless.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2011   #5
King Carrot
Tomatovillian™

At room temperature around 68°, I ferment for 3-4 days max, It just doesn't feel right to me leaving them in the liquid any longer. I wait until there is a layer of fungus then rinse and dry on a paper plate and so far all the saved seeds have looked OK and have germinated near on 100% - I admit I've only been doing this 2 seasons so I'm still a newbie - just rather have some seeds at the end than have them go over.
King Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2011   #6
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

This is an issue that I addressed in the procedure I wrote and placed on Tatiana's database (see link below).

The goal is NOT to achieve some level of fungal mass floating on top of the mix. The goal is to remove the GEL from around the seeds.

Check your seed fermentation containers frequently and you'll quickly be able to recognize a seed that has parted with the gel sac. They move differently (more freely) in the liquid.

When I was in Northeast Georgia, 48 to 72 hours was all the time it took in summer. I can't remember going into the 4th day, even in the late spring/early summer. Here in Northeast Tennessee, it looks like three days in half pint jars is the best timing scenario. If the seeds are still hanging on to the gel sacs, a little bit of scouring cleanser agitation and they're ready for the paper plate.

Don't lose site of the goal which is to remove the gel sac. If you're new to saving seeds using the fermentation method, then check out this link which has pictures to illustrate.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...g_Fermentation

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2011   #7
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Ted - I did read through it once some time ago, but obviously I need to again. I was spoiled by a couple batches working out fine, and wasn't careful enough with that last one. Back to school for me.