Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old January 26, 2011   #1
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Default Radiators for heating pad for seeds?

I use a electric blanket last year on the floor for my trays ,growing seeds, we have some radiators on the second floor here. The heat is only on 62. Can i use one if the heat does not to get to hot. I am starting early only 1 tray now for for Basil, Rosemary and Thia peppers and other peppers.
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2011   #2
matereater
Tomatovillian™

I don't see why not, heat is heat in my opinion, but the radiator may be a dryer heat so pay closer attention to your moisture levels in your trays.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2011   #3
bcday
Tomatovillian™

You can test your idea ahead of time without sowing seeds to see what the soil temperature will really be. Set up your tray with seed-starting mix. If you usually cover the tray to keep moisture and heat in, put the cover on too, but don't sow the seeds yet.

Then set the tray on the radiator to warm up. If it's a plastic tray, you might want to set it on a metal cookie sheet so it won't get soft and deformed if some parts of the radiator get too hot for the plastic.

After a few days when the soil has had a chance to warm up, use a cooking thermometer that has a metal probe to test the soil temperature below the surface. Test it at different times of the day for a few more days to make sure the soil temperature never gets above the upper limit for your seeds. If everything looks good after that, all you have to do is add the seeds.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2011   #4
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I use all kinds of stuff like that. The testing ideas are good tho.

In my greenhouse we use a wood fired water stove to heat a big (1500 gal) tank of water. Sometimes the water temp will get up to 120* - 140*. I've used the top of the tank to germinate my Basil for the last 2 years. Works great. Most of the Basil is up in about a week.

Last year my seeds were about 2+ years old and I had heard Basil seed doesn't last that long so I seeded a bit heavy. With the heat it was still up in a week.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2011   #5
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Thanks all, the radiator is 3 inch's under this so it is not to hot. as you can see i have 3 trays.
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2011   #6
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

radiators work fine.

my old calumet house had those cast iron or whatever they are made of radiators. i put a towel on top of them and put the seed trays on the towel covered with plastic wrap. worked great for peppers and tomatoes.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2011   #7
lurley
Tomatovillian™

Before I had an "official" seed heating mat I stole my husbands heating pad for his back and just set it to low.
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2011   #8
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurley View Post
Before I had an "official" seed heating mat I stole my husbands heating pad for his back and just set it to low.
Another vote here for the heating pad! I also have one heat mat. I like the idea of the electric blanket because of the size factor - will keep my eye out for one that's not in use somewhere.

No radiators here.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2011   #9
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default Reply

I always have good luck with heating pad. My husband turned 50 so now he uses it more than my seeds. They are lagging behind this year because his "back hurts" I think he is seeing it as a chance to not have seeds germinating in the breakfast room taking over the table
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2011   #10
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I used to do the electric blanket with a sheet of plastic between the blanket and the seed flat, to keep the blanket from getting wet. But about 10 years ago +-, the newer blankets have a built-in "timer" that doesn't let them stay ON for more than 10 or 12 hours. Some kind of safety feature, but make them unworkable for starting plants.

I have also used an old water bed that has the under the mattress heater. If the water is warm, you have a nice sized seed starter.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2011   #11
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
I used to do the electric blanket with a sheet of plastic between the blanket and the seed flat, to keep the blanket from getting wet. But about 10 years ago +-, the newer blankets have a built-in "timer" that doesn't let them stay ON for more than 10 or 12 hours. Some kind of safety feature, but make them unworkable for starting plants.
Carol
Thanks for the tip, Carol; I'll narrow my search to "really old electric blanket".
Old January 26, 2011   #12
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

Years ago when I had very limited space, I was only starting 6 tomatoes.
I couldn't justify $30 for a heat mat for only 6 plants, but on the way home, I spotted a crock pot for $1 at a garage sale. Filled it ½ way with soil, and heated it up. Once it was warmed up, I planted seeds, at set the control to "Keep Warm". Kept them just fine to potting up time.
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2011   #13
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinTinTin View Post
Years ago when I had very limited space, I was only starting 6 tomatoes.
I couldn't justify $30 for a heat mat for only 6 plants, but on the way home, I spotted a crock pot for $1 at a garage sale. Filled it ½ way with soil, and heated it up. Once it was warmed up, I planted seeds, at set the control to "Keep Warm". Kept them just fine to potting up time.
I love that! Very ingenious!
Old January 26, 2011   #14
ireilly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
Thanks for the tip, Carol; I'll narrow my search to "really old electric blanket".
I know you're half serious, but watch those old electric blankets, they have a tendency to overheat and ignite the coverings when the heating wires break down over time and with laundering, etc.

Not much fun carrying a smoldering mattress outside on a winters day IF you get to it in time. Been there, done that (was not even my house, either).

Safety first!

Best wishes,
Walter
ireilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2011   #15
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireilly View Post
I know you're half serious, but watch those old electric blankets, they have a tendency to overheat and ignite the coverings when the heating wires break down over time and with laundering, etc.

Not much fun carrying a smoldering mattress outside on a winters day IF you get to it in time. Been there, done that (was not even my house, either).

Safety first!

Best wishes,
Walter
Thanks for that important safety tip, Walter; much better to get another heat mat or heating pad.

Kath