Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old August 4, 2006   #1
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default The mysterious "Peppadew" pepper

At the heirloom tomato dinner I attended last evening, one of the restaurant owners asked me about a pepper that he really loved when tasted in South Africa called Peppadew. I hunted around the internet and found a Kumato/Bruno Rosso-like trademark/hype story around the variety...but no seeds offered anywhere. Anyone here know anything about this mysterious variety?
Old August 4, 2006   #2
Reign
Tomatovillian™

"So Peppadews, also called sweet piquant peppers, are not some new special fruit."

Plenty of outstanding sweet piquant peppers around. I bet you could grow something that rivals it. Might have to reverse engineer the marinade.
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2006   #3
westocast73
Tomatovillian™

Don't know where you get seeds for it but I know the crazy story behind it that its a Tomato that crossed with a pepper in some South African garden.

That being said they are delicious and I have searched for seed before and come up empty. I know the story behind it because a Local Pizza chain here uses them on one of their pizzas and I asked. They are wonderful. If you find a seed source let me know. :wink:

http://flyingwedge.com/extrememenu.html

Delicious pizza.
westocast73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2006   #4
JabulaZa
Tomatovillian™

It was all hyped up in a marketing frenzy over this corner of the globe a couple of years back, all a branding campaign according to me. A cross of some kind found in a garden somewhere that this person(s) made into a stunning looking good tasting bottled product. Later came a sauce (not so great) and other products with the brand name.
The seeds where never released commercially and the plants are still grown on a contract basis only (with one of the conditions not to release any seeds or plants to any one ).

As for seeds I'll have to check at one of our local farmers markets, there is a lady that might have some seeds. Don't know if it will be the true peppadew. (As is a registered trade mark in SA associated with products made of the pepper.)

I've tasted most of the products at other people but haven't bought any it myself yet. A pepper with the name of cherry bomb have the looks and size to be the real mccoy but might be a bit on the hot side (Except if they turned of the heat while processing them to grab more peoples taste buds.)
I think a major part would be to try similar recipes with sweet piquant peppers.
Old November 7, 2007   #5
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabulaZa View Post
It was all hyped up in a marketing frenzy over this corner of the globe a couple of years back, all a branding campaign according to me. A cross of some kind found in a garden somewhere that this person(s) made into a stunning looking good tasting bottled product. Later came a sauce (not so great) and other products with the brand name.
The seeds where never released commercially and the plants are still grown on a contract basis only (with one of the conditions not to release any seeds or plants to any one ).

As for seeds I'll have to check at one of our local farmers markets, there is a lady that might have some seeds. Don't know if it will be the true peppadew. (As is a registered trade mark in SA associated with products made of the pepper.)

I've tasted most of the products at other people but haven't bought any it myself yet. A pepper with the name of cherry bomb have the looks and size to be the real mccoy but might be a bit on the hot side (Except if they turned of the heat while processing them to grab more peoples taste buds.)
I think a major part would be to try similar recipes with sweet piquant peppers.
I agree. I think it is hyped up. I also think the "Peppadew Corporation" (LOL) is going to have a hard time keeping a lid on it. I've already seen a few grocery stores selling these under names like "Sweet Piquant", "South African Sweet" etc. Does that mean that these are black-market Peppadews? I think it must in the canning process. I noticed that the clear liquid packed in with the Peppadews is also sweet, so there has definitely been sugar used in the processing.
Who knows? it could be totally worthless as a fresh pepper......... I love the taste, but I hate buying them.
bigbubbacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2007   #6
tomatoaddict

I have been hearing about this pepper for 6 months. I went crazy looking for seeds for someone I know. Please, if anyone finds a source, let me know.
Old November 7, 2007   #7
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

I a few at a local resturant stuffed with two types of cheeses. BOY, were they good. Not hot at all but very good spice. Very unique taste. Again, stuffed with cheese. Wish they were bigger. Quite small.

I'd love to grow this one.

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2007   #8
tomatoaddict

Is this a re-named heirloom or is it a hybrid? I'm getting confused.
Old November 10, 2007   #9
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

I got this off of www.peppadew.com

PEPPADEW™ International has registered plant breeders' rights internationally, so Sweet Piquanté Peppers can only be grown under license from PEPPADEW™ International. Currently all fruit is processed at our factory in Tzaneen, so if you are interested in growing Sweet Piquanté Peppers in the Limpopo and Mpumalanga Provinces in South Africa please contact: yadaa, yadaa, yadaa...

Also, info www.peppadewusa.com

We might be out of luck
Old November 11, 2007   #10
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I may have located a source of a limited amount of seed. I'll post here if it pans out.

Fusion
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2007   #11
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Same here. I've made a few requests in different locations. In fact, I saw another member from here post a message on another gardening forum, in Europe, looking for them.

The hunt is on.
Old November 12, 2007   #12
tomatoaddict

I bet that other member was me
Old November 12, 2007   #13
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

It was! You beat me to it!
Old November 12, 2007   #14
tomatoaddict

I make ya a promise Garden, If I get them, you get them too.
How's that?8)
Old November 12, 2007   #15
cmpman1974
Tomatovillian™

Where there is a will, there is a way. They are out there, just hard to find I believe. I want the brine recipe!!

Chris
cmpman1974 is offline   Reply With Quote