Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 15, 2011   #16
tam91
Tomatovillian™

I barely sprinkled them with dry mix, then misted - same as all my others. Dunno - wierd year maybe?
tam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2011   #17
Qweniden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurian View Post
You might be planting them too deep,
I used the wet paper towel approach
Qweniden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2011   #18
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qweniden View Post
I used the wet paper towel approach
Well, that kills that theory! I haven't clue then. I know it might be too late for you, but as I said if you would like some more seeds send me message.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2011   #19
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Wondering about the black tomato theory - my black cherries still have quite poor germination. Cherokee Purple, I only got one plant out of 6 seeds. Spudakee, didn't germinate at all.

Odd, I have about 30 other varieties that all have done fine, under identical conditions. Dunno.

I guess I can try the paper towel method, see if I can get a few of them to work. I would like some extra black cherries, as I'd like to give them to some friends.
Old March 20, 2011   #20
shlacm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam91 View Post
Wondering about the black tomato theory - my black cherries still have quite poor germination. Cherokee Purple, I only got one plant out of 6 seeds. Spudakee, didn't germinate at all.

Odd, I have about 30 other varieties that all have done fine, under identical conditions. Dunno.

I guess I can try the paper towel method, see if I can get a few of them to work. I would like some extra black cherries, as I'd like to give them to some friends.
It seems so weird... why would the color of the tomato affect the seed germination!?!?! But thinking about it, my Cehorkee Chocolate, Spudakee and JD's barely germinated at all!!! Same with a "purple" Dwarf (while the "brown had EXCELLENT germ.) and some other grow-out seeds with Spudakee and BTD as parents... That being said, Cherokee Purple, Noire de Crimee and Kazachka germ. were fine and Indian Stripe (does that count?) and Black Cherry were great!

ALTHOUGH, I think my absolute worst germination (which was totally unexpected since the seeds weren't old or damaged) was Cherokee GREEN which I finally got 1 plant after WEEKS of waiting... I'd have to check to be sure how many I planted, but it would have been at least 10.
shlacm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2011   #21
tam91
Tomatovillian™

My Indian Stripe, Brads Black Heart, Black Krim and Nyagous all did ok - maybe not quite as high germination rate as the other colors, but pretty well. I have absolutely no idea why any of this would be, but it's interesting. I hope I get some more Black Cherries though, as I have several friends I want to give one too.
Old March 20, 2011   #22
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

Tam, there is another way to get additional Black Cherry plants -- and that's to pinch out a healthy sucker and insert it into damp potting soil. I've been able to root many suckers that way and be able to get additional plants, rather than just depend upon germination. But you have to keep the soil damp. It takes one to two weeks for the sucker to root; keep it out of strong sun.
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2011   #23
tam91
Tomatovillian™

That's a good idea. My seedlings are far too small now though, they're just starting. If I get desperate later on, maybe. I'm still hoping I can talk some more seeds into germinating though.
Old March 20, 2011   #24
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I didn't have one called Black Cherry but I did plant seeds to Chocolate Cherry and the germination was 100%.
I just looked over my list and the only black tomato that had really bad germination was Carbon and last year they germinated great. I started about 100 varieties and checked my germination records and there was no pattern of poor germination as to the color of the fruit except the GWRs seem to do poorer but it is probably the seed. The only GWR that I planted from my own saved seed had 100% germination.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2011   #25
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Probably just coincidence, I suppose. It's my first year growing from seed, so I no other year to compare to.
Old March 21, 2011   #26
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Folks, data that I've collected indicates that color and variety have no impact at all on seed germination (with ONE exception - Mexico Midget - but I am still sorting through why that is).

I start literally thousands of seeds each year, all sorts, colors, etc - and have no problems at all with any of them.

There are so many other variables - age and quality of the seed, how you start it, conditions during germination, what you use for seed starting medium, etc - that could have different effects.
Old March 21, 2011   #27
shlacm
Tomatovillian™

YAY!!! I knew it didn't SEEM logical... still, it's a relief to hear from a real pro!!!
shlacm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2011   #28
Chucker
Tomatovillian™

Interestingly, the only seeds I had trouble with this season were black cherry. I finally got my second one to sprout, but I've been trying since mid-February. The second one is just a backup. I'm sure it's just coincidence, But I was really thinking there was something to the theory that they are hard to germinate.
Chucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2011   #29
cloz
Tomatovillian™

I planted 4 Black Cherry Seeds and all 4 sprouted in 5 days.
cloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2011   #30
retiree
Tomatovillian™

Default Blk.Cherry

I just checked my notes for 2010. Planted Black Cherry on Apr. 30. and broke through the soil mix on May 5. About the same as the other varieties for me.
Neil (Canada)
retiree is offline   Reply With Quote