Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old February 21, 2020   #1
creeker
Tomatovillian™

Default Pre transplant temp for brocolli

I seeded 40 plugs of Imperial broccoli 6 days ago in Jiffy mix and under light at about 76 degrees F. I now have 30 or more plants about an inch or so high with 2 or 4 leaves. Dont think any more will come up so as I need the space on that table am considering moving them to my grow room where I am growing tomatoes and peppers at about 65 degrees or as near as I can keep it to that. What do you all think about that temperature? Also, I have read that broccoli and tomatoes are not compatible together. Would that theory be applicable in the seedling stage?
creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2020   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

The brassica family is pretty cold hardy so I'm pretty sure the seedlings will be happy with 65 degrees, especially if your more tender nightshades are seemingly content. I believe the the supposed incompatibility thing only applies if the plants are growing nearby in the same bed, not in nearby pots.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2020   #3
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I agree with Kath. I grow all kinds of Cole crops and tomatoes all in the same greenhouse most of the time. They should be fine and will do better in the cooler temps.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2020   #4
creeker
Tomatovillian™

thanks Kath and Carol, I can relax about that now. Ron
creeker is offline   Reply With Quote