Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old October 2, 2006   #16
username5
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar_Lace
Please read this, it has now been turned into a PDF; it used to be a web page - Liming Acid Soils
I read it and was familiar with the info. Where i live the native ph is around 6.8 so I don't worry about ground ph except for blueberries.

In container culture i don't concern myself with ph at all and have never understood any reason why anyone would. It doesn't seem to make much difference in container culture although I am open to correction on this point.
username5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2006   #17
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

When I was doing all my own seed sowing I'd use ONLY Jiffy Mix or Pro Mix or Fafard to start the seeds.

And then when I transplanted I'd use 1/2 named mix and 1/4 perlite and 1/4 vermiculite to cut the cost since I was raising about 1000 plants/year.

When I switched to just sowing my own seeds then taking them to Charlie's Greehouses to germinate and transplant I'd use , again, only Jiffy Mix or Pro Mix or Farfard to sow seeds and then whatever he was using for transplanting.

He used to mix his own mixes but has settled on Fafard for almost everything and I agree with him that the results are excellent.

And of course now, being in the walker for two years, I'm not raising any of my own plants.
Old October 3, 2006   #18
Plant Lady
Tomatovillian™

[quote="carolyn137"]When I was doing all my own seed sowing I'd use ONLY Jiffy Mix or Pro Mix or Fafard to start the seeds.quote]

Ok..so the pro mix is comparable to Jiffy mix??? I have always used Jiffy mix for all my seed starting, But I have a hard time getting it except late spring or after I really need it, So I bought a huge bag of the pro mix with hopes it would work fine for seed starting. Is there anything special I should know about using the promix in place of the Jiffy mix or does it work the sameway???
Plant Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2006   #19
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I really like the Fafard seed starting mix. Before I started buying that, I always used the Hoffman's seed starter. I would still use this if I couldn't get the Fafard. I have never liked Jiffy Mix. Maybe I don't have enough patience but it always seems to actually repel water, kind of like these bath towels I just bought. So frustrating!
Old October 3, 2006   #20
Plant Lady
Tomatovillian™

I live in a very rural area in the boonies, and my choice of places to obtain supplies is very limited and that is driving 30 miles. I have never seen Fafard before, so I know nothing about it. I have used Jiffy mix for years with good results, just hope I haven't made a mistake trying something different.
Old October 3, 2006   #21
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

If you've had good results with Jiffy Mix and you can get it easily, why not keep using it? It's just a little too "fluffy" for me, too much like sawdust. I know it initially takes seed starter some time to start absorbing water, but that stuff just takes too long for me. I don't mix mine all together with my hands like some people do. Maybe that's why. I put the mix in the pots and then put the pots in the tray and then pour the water into the bottom of the tray and wait for the water to soak in. I guess it just depends on what your seed starting method is.
Old October 3, 2006   #22
Plant Lady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleybean
If you've had good results with Jiffy Mix and you can get it easily, why not keep using it?
Well that is the problem, The local place I normally get jiffy mix only has it in late spring, after I already have seedlings growing, So I have to buy it then for the following year, and I failed to do that last spring. I am one of those that mixes it with my hands, so have not had the problem with getting it moist enough.
Old October 4, 2006   #23
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

For me Pro Mix is comparable to Jiffy Mix as well as Fafard.

And with the Jiffy Mix I mean the loose stuff, not those stupid discs, which I hate. And there are several formulations of Jiffy Mix as well, as to added micronutrients, or not.

But remember that ALL of these soiless mixes repel water and you have to add warm water and mix it with your hands slowly to get all of it wetted.
Old October 4, 2006   #24
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

I googled Jiffy Mix, hit I'm feeling lucky button, this was the results Jiffy Mix

I had to google Jiffy soil Mix

Jiffy soil Mix
Old October 4, 2006   #25
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Oh, I forgot to say that when I use soilless mix, I put one quart of soilless mix plus one cup of cold tap water into a glass microwaveable dish (that is 3 to 5 quarts in volume) with waxed paper over the top & zap it for 5 minutes on High in the microwave. This opens the fibers up & lets it absorb the water faster that you put into it.
Old October 5, 2006   #26
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

And I forgot to say I spray the tops of the mix with water and use a dome. That's how I can get away with not mixing it all up with my hands. I used to mix it all up but I've been using the "lazy" method for the last several years and it works for me, however, not with Jiffy Mix. I hope you're able to get your hands on something you can really use (yes, silly pun intended, sorry).
Old October 5, 2006   #27
giardiniere
Tomatovillian™

I use Jiffy Mix. IIRC it is about $3.50 - $4 for a 10 quart bag at Mr. Walton's general store. :wink:
I did notice a larger bag of Pro-Mix at HD recently for about $11. It may be cheaper, in the long run, to buy it there.
Old October 6, 2006   #28
Plant Lady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by giardiniere
I use Jiffy Mix. IIRC it is about $3.50 - $4 for a 10 quart bag at Mr. Walton's general store. :wink:
I did notice a larger bag of Pro-Mix at HD recently for about $11. It may be cheaper, in the long run, to buy it there.
HD is where I got the Pro Mix...It is 2 cubic feet compressed or 4-loose. I feel that it is cheaper in the long run. According to the google results, and we are not talking cornbread mix for the jiffy soiless mix it is around $7.59 for 10 quarts (plus S&H), at WM it is around $4-$5 for 9 quarts. I will try the microwave idea, besides it should help to make it more sterile also. Ok now I feel better, The Pro Mix should work fine for me, In fact if it works like I think, I'll be hooked on it using it every year in place of the Jiffy Mix.