Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old August 28, 2006   #1
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Skipping the Transplant

I know, I know. Best to transplant for root development (just had deja vu with this post). But has anyone gone from seedling tray straight to pot or patch with good success? The thought of the transplants is too much to contemplate. Might have to do a few at a time.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2006   #2
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

You can use this technique by our own Trudi Davidoff Tomato Cage Germination Tunnel

Trudi_D:
Quote:
Winter Sowers Use Their Imaginations! (and what's on hand) Styrafoam grape boxes make great Winter Sowing flats! They are easy to prepare, long lasting, and can hold a lot of soil and seeds. Using two tomato cages as a support and a cover of clear plastic vinyl, the grape boxes become a germination tunnel with easy viewing of the interior.
When you click on any of the pictures; they get bigger in a pop-up window.

I found out for myself that they do very well for planting out tiny seedlings in the ground & in the EB's.

Tomatoes go in the ground fast with Winter Sowing!

Making Mini-Hothouses
Old August 28, 2006   #3
sliphorn
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I went from a freshly sprouted seed directly to the patch with three different plants this year. All produced very well and I couldn't tell the difference from the ones that were 9" transplants. The varieties were Persimmon, Evergreen, and Soldacki.
sliphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2006   #4
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

They do it easily in my greenhouse Grub. If the climate with regard to the soil temp etc is ok, then they will take off. Growing big transplants is what growers in colder climates must do, but you guys up there will do ok. Punch on my man and show us yer stuff.
Editing this as an after thought.
If the seedlings are not strong looking , then transplanting them is not wise. Wait till they look good.
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2006   #5
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Goody Gumdrops

Thanks. I think I will plant quite a few of them straight to the patch, with clear rings around them, made from bottomless clear cups. Can't wait for tomatoes, eggplants and sweet peppers, with a touch of hot pepper, plus herbs, wine, EVOO, garlic, touch of top white-wine vinegar, baked and used as all kinds of things from pasta primevera to toppings on pizzas, stuffing for foccachia, base for baking a splayed chicken half, to sauce for fresh line-caught fish.

WOW! Just heard it will be drier that ever here this season, which is hard to believe. Omigawd! I'll have to revert to saving shower water.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote