Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old September 23, 2006   #1
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default Guajillo Chile Pepper

A gardening friend has shared a few seed of the Guajillo Chile Pepper Seed with me which were brought from Mexico. I found the description below. Any good suggestions on germination and growing of this variety?I am an Heirloom Tomato gardener and don't know much about peppers.
Gary/Louisville

Guajillo - Capsicum annuum, (Chili travieso)—Spanish for “naughty chili” ~5,000 Scoville Heat Units
90 days. A hot, large-podded chile, with fruits 4" long, by 1" wide. A good yielder of chiles which turn from green, to an orange/red/brown color when mature. Guajillo means little gourd due to the sound of the seeds rattling in the dried chiles. It's very good for drying, salsas, sauces, and moles. From Mexico.
VGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2006   #2
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Gary,

I could copy & paste a ton of info here for you.

But they're All: (tomatoes, peppers & eggplants) started they exact same way!!

Hope you enjoy & have fun.
Old September 25, 2006   #3
psa
Tomatovillian™

Guajillo is one of my favorites for roasting and blending in chile colorado and the like, but it's a bit hot for some. Excellent flavor.

Peppers seem to benefit more from bottom heat than tomatoes do, and for me, anyway, are easier to acclimate and more forgiving of onconsistent growing conditions, both as a seedling and when mature. But I live in a dry, hot environment to which peppers are well adapted.
psa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2006   #4
travis
Tomatovillian™

Gary,

Someone over at I-Dig sent me a blue million of those Guajillo seeds. I can only use a few next spring.

Don't pepper seeds go bad in a year or two? I mean they're not as long lasting as tomato seeds, right?

Do you or anyone else here need some of these?
I mean he must've sent me a couple hundred at least!

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2006   #5
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default Guajillo Pepper Seed

Papa Vic, That same person sent me an ample supply as well! I am looking forward to growing some of those and a variety of other peppers as well come spring time. I have always had good germination with some older tomato seed. The issue on the viability of the pepper seed is something to consider. I will see what I can find out.
Gary
VGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2006   #6
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Papa Vic,

Check your mail.
Old June 18, 2007   #7
herblady
Tomatovillian™

I'm looking for help in pricing fresh guajillos. I have a customer wanting to buy all I have (at this time probably 10#s) that have turned red. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
herblady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2007   #8
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Home grown? Organic? Not in New Mexico? I would charge at least $7-8 per pound. Consider the price on one of those bitty half pints of raspberries - $4-5 even in season.
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote