Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old October 30, 2013   #1
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

Default Free Fertilizers Soil Conditioners, Compost Fixin's, etc?

I'm always on the lookout for free stuff to use in my garden. I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread to share what we use, how we use it, and where it might be obtained for free.
Since I live in an area where there are many bungalow colonies, much leaves, pine straw, and grass clippings are generated. Hence I have a symbiotic relationship with a colony of about 120 acres. Once they rake everything together, I haul it out in my 5' by 8' trailer. They even help me load up.

I use this to make leaf mould and compost. Also, as a absorbent layer in my chicken run so that all the good stuff the chickens deposit there doesn't get lost, (they (the hens) also turn it for me) and then I can add it all to my compost heap.

I don't have a Starbucks or donut shop nearby, but I do get some spent coffee grounds from a food joint in town. I use it to side-dress.

Since I have a wood stove, I use the ash in the garden. Wood ashes contain potassium, calcium, magnesium, and phosphorous. Wood ashes are base and will raise the soil's PH, making it more alkaline. For the purpose of changing the soil PH, wood ashes should be thought of as only 1/3 as effective as garden lime. 1lb. of ash = 1/3lb of lime, or 3lbs. of ash = 1lb of lime. Like lime, wood ash will burn your plants if it comes in contact with them, after all, wood ashes are what Lye is made from!

Some things that I get as by-products of my acquisition of wood stove fuel, are rotten bark and chainsaw chips, the latter of which spew forth at an alarming rate, to become ankle deep in mere seconds. Compost fodder, for sure. Also good for keeping the weeds under control on garden paths, and it ultimately winds up in the beds.

I would like to find a place to get fish waste, rather than having to actually do the fishing myself. It' so tough being retired LOL. The simple fact is; I don't seem to have the time any more.

Every once in a while I hear about things like spent mushroom compost, rock dust, and other materials cast off by certain industries, but most of the time I can't find local access.

So...how about you?

Last edited by Got Worms?; October 31, 2013 at 04:51 AM.
Got Worms? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2013   #2
COMPOSTER
Tomatovillian™

Charlie,

I also try to make liberal use of free materials. My property generates a lot leaves and grass but I do like pine straw for my blueberries and strawberries. I pick up pine straw under the pine trees at work. I pick up horse manure to compost from co-workers farm 20 min from my house. I pick up sheep manure to compost at a farm 15 min from my home. I pick up Basalt dust at a local quarry 40 min from my home. I am a dedicated composter and soil builder and purchase very little fertilizer. I use wood ashes from my fireplace on my lawn. I do however purchse lime.

Glenn
COMPOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote