Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 23, 2006   #1
elkwc36
Tomatovillian™

Default John Baer

Got a Jung catalog Thursday. Not sure why have never ordered from them. Although most are the same you see everywhere they are offering John Baer. An old offering of theirs from 1907-1962. They also say they are grateful to Seed Savers Exchange for resurrecting it. Not too often do I see commercial catalogs give credit to SSE or others. An interesting catalog. Of course I enjoy reading them all. Even if I don't intend to order. Did a search on John Baer and didn't find alot. Merry Christmas to all and have a great 2007 gardening year. Jay
elkwc36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2006   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I think it's nice that they say SSE resurrected it but that's not really the truth.

John Baer has been listed in the SSE Yearbooks as long as I can remember, and I have all the yearbooks going back to when SSE first started in 1975.

it's true that SSE itself listed it in the 2006 Yearbook but they only list a variety that is not being listed by any SSE member and while it had been listed faithfully in previous Yearbooks, but not by many, I can see why they thought that SSE resurrected it, as they did for ONE Yearbook. Heck, there are varieties that I've listed in past Yearbooks that were no longer being listed by any SSE members and SSE stepped in and, if you will, resurrected them as well, but it's not that any of those varieties are being resurrected from the dead, as was Lazarus.

If you know Bonny Best you know John Baer b'c the latter was a selection from the former made by guess who.....John Baer in 1915.

So what you've got with John Baer is essentially Bonny Best b'c those who have grown both can't tell the difference. And you have a med red globe shaped fruit, indet, RL and productive.
Old December 23, 2006   #3
elkwc36
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,
Thanks for the information. It helps so much. I hadn't read about it so now know what it is. Bonny Best I have. Also thought is was nice for once a seed company not saying new or just found or something similar. Like I said have never ordered from them before so not even sure why I received the catalog. The Giant Oxheart I have heard of. Thanks again for the always helpful information. Jay
elkwc36 is offline   Reply With Quote