Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old February 23, 2018   #16
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Goodloe &Clkleiper, I hear you on the "Vomit" trees.
It was suggested by a neighbor and was a nightmare
The one out front was about 40' high 35' wide the one on the side was near 60' but narrower, the problem was the branches were like 40' long and huge.
Me and a buddy cut that one out but it was between the houses 20' wide and I have an ornamental koi pond out front so we had to perfectly align the fall in a 3" wide area, huge undertaking. I have a video I'll see if I can find it.
SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2018   #17
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Found it, this is the side tree, can't find the pics of the front tree.
Most of the tree was cut back at this point.

cant get this you tube thing working, why are there even YOUTUBE tags if they don't work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7Sl...ature=youtu.be

We had to get over 40' branches to fall between here.

Last edited by SQWIBB; February 23, 2018 at 09:38 AM.
Old February 23, 2018   #18
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I am not 100% positive, but I think they are on the invasive list and can no longer be sold here.... I can only hope for sure!
Old February 23, 2018   #19
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I really enjoyed reading the whole thread and following the progress of your various beds! You are a careful and talented planner to be able to get it all done so nicely, including the staining. Your yard looks great! And thanks so much for being careful with the box turtles! One of my fav creatures, wish I had them here.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2018   #20
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
I really enjoyed reading the whole thread and following the progress of your various beds! You are a careful and talented planner to be able to get it all done so nicely, including the staining. Your yard looks great! And thanks so much for being careful with the box turtles! One of my fav creatures, wish I had them here.
Some are permanent residents and some are nursed back to health and let go where found. We try to get them to hibernate a year in case they were pets let go into the wild. Sometimes they need some help.
Dont know the laws on releasing but I am sure there is some one out there that would have something to say about it.

Whenever I make a change in the yard I try to make changes that don't impact the turtles, I'll be planting some comfrey and Sorrel plants this year for more places they can forage, cool down and hide.
They're actually little grubbers, whenever I fire up one of the smokers they come over and are around my feet like cats.

Old February 23, 2018   #21
Ann123
Tomatovillian™

Oh my, they are so cute and beautiful.
Ann123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2018   #22
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

You can't imagine how jealous I am of having boxies roaming freely in your yard! Back when I was a teenager before they passed all the restrictions in the pet trade (drastically needed) I was able to get a beautiful adult and a couple of hatchlings. Had them for at least five years, but one summer they escaped from their summer outdoor quarters - I think my dog ripped open a corner of screen to get at their cat food dish - and off they went into the woods. I know there are supposed to be a few in SE Minnesota, but doubt they survived this far north. That is one gorgeous fellow with the orange legs! Are you going to keep the one with the mended shell? Thank you for rehabbing these lovely little creatures.

I live on a lake, so do have painted turtles and snappers come up to lay eggs on our driveway hill. One year our dog dug up a snapper nest, but I was able to rescue about 16 eggs of about 40 and hatch them to release in the fall. Stinky little guys!

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2018   #23
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

LOVE the hugel beds! Thanks for all the pics.

I have too much dead wood and too much clay - they combine great together. Once our ground dries a bit, I'll put in another 40 feet on hugel beds.

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2018   #24
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Great job
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2018   #25
whoose
Tomatovillian™

Default Treated Wood?

Please see http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ghlight=whoose for a discussion of the issues with treated wood.
whoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2018   #26
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
You can't imagine how jealous I am of having boxies roaming freely in your yard! Back when I was a teenager before they passed all the restrictions in the pet trade (drastically needed) I was able to get a beautiful adult and a couple of hatchlings. Had them for at least five years, but one summer they escaped from their summer outdoor quarters - I think my dog ripped open a corner of screen to get at their cat food dish - and off they went into the woods. I know there are supposed to be a few in SE Minnesota, but doubt they survived this far north. That is one gorgeous fellow with the orange legs! Are you going to keep the one with the mended shell? Thank you for rehabbing these lovely little creatures.

I live on a lake, so do have painted turtles and snappers come up to lay eggs on our driveway hill. One year our dog dug up a snapper nest, but I was able to rescue about 16 eggs of about 40 and hatch them to release in the fall. Stinky little guys!
Sadly the Red Sliders have taken over and I see less and less Painted turtles.
Old February 26, 2018   #27
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post
LOVE the hugel beds! Thanks for all the pics.

I have too much dead wood and too much clay - they combine great together. Once our ground dries a bit, I'll put in another 40 feet on hugel beds.

Jeff

That is awesome, make sure to put up some photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
Great job

Thank you
Old February 26, 2018   #28
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoose View Post
Please see http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ghlight=whoose for a discussion of the issues with treated wood.

I was wondering when someone would jump on the use of PT,
I urge you to do a bit more research before posting things like “Issues with Treated wood”. Maybe change it to “My opinion on the use of Pressure Treated woods”?

If you are referring to this statement on your page,
There has been a lot of discussion on using treated wood on this forum.
Pressure treatedwood is treated with an arsenic-like compound in most cases.

The some questions to consider:

• How much leeches into the ground?
  • How much leeches into your plants?
  • How much longer does treated wood last than regular lumber?
  • How long does it take for the chemical to break down in the environment?

I do see you posted this a bit later,

Pressure treated wood is treated with an arsenic-like compound in most cases, was true. Now most treated wood is a copper based treatment.

I have done research on this until my eyes bled and from reliable sources. And I am 100% confident in my choice of using PT wood in a raised garden bed.
I am not going to debate the use of PT wood in a raised bed garden because everyone is entitled to an opinion and I respect that.
I am not here to ruffle feathers and to be quite honest some folks are just tired of hearing it. Everyone is responsible to do their own homework and make a well informed decision like I have.

I did want to touch on one thing in that post, your use of the word, arsenic-like ??? There is no such thing it's either arsenic or its not! To me that is misinformation and using a word that don't even apply to today's PT woods, IMHO can be considered “fear mongering”, and really should be edited in that post, it's a great post and the links to other discussions about using PT was a good call.

I really enjoyed the read, but that one word just makes me cringe.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but since you posted this on my Build page I felt it had to be addressed.
Old February 26, 2018   #29
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

The turtles with the fixed shells are treated with anti-biotics and once they hibernate a season they will be checked out in the spring and released around where they were found. "Reds (one on step) is a permanent resident"
We were thinking about a way to tag them with a phone number and "Leave me Be" statement.
Old February 27, 2018   #30
whoose
Tomatovillian™

Default Just Trying

Of course arsenic or arsenic-like compounds is correct. With all the health problem family and friends are having one more factor that I can control type of wood) is just something I can do.
It is your choice.
whoose is offline   Reply With Quote