Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 28, 2014   #1
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Default "Big Mystery"

I tried this when I first joined TV but I didn't have any luck so I want to try it again.

I call this tomato "big Mystery" because I don 't know what it is. The story goes: an old man brought a big tomato as a present to a lady he was sweet on who worked with a friend of mine in a garden center about 12 years ago. He had apparently grown this variety here in the Edmonton area for many years and was his pride. my friend thinks he might have called it "Chicago" He is nowhere to be found anymore.
The lady shared the tomato with the staff at lunch, my friend saved some seeds and gave them to me to ferment. I have grown it often since, saved seed (and it always comes perfectly true), and I would love to know what it is.
There is no record of an OP tomato known as "Chicago" any place I can find.
It is a very large RL early midseason plant. about 70 days . produces lots of Large mild sweet ribbed pink globe shaped tomatoes. around 16 oz each easily. always round, never flattened and always ribbed with very delicate thin skin. few seeds, very meaty.
I have seen a million tomato pictures but nothing seems to quite match up. I thought I would seek some ideas here. I realize it won't be definitive and it is possible that this is an unknown tomato but I would like some ideas of what you all think it could be.
Otherwise it will remain my "Big Mystery"
Thanks. KarenO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg green big mystery.jpg (60.6 KB, 722 views)
File Type: jpg ripe big mystery.jpg (94.0 KB, 729 views)
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014   #2
rags57078
Tomatovillian™

nice looking tomato
rags57078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014   #3
kath
Tomatovillian™

No clue what variety might be, but they are beautiful tomatoes!
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2014   #4
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Karen,
Good looking tomato. Looks an awful lot like a Brandywine Suddath's. The regular leaf description and the DTM don't match though. A relative perhaps?
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014   #5
peppero
Tomatovillian™

NICE!

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014   #6
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I hope Tania and Carolyn might have some ideas, they have gone through so many more varieties than most of us. I personally have never grown a large pink with such a regular round upright shape along with uniform fluting on all the tomatoes. My pinks of that size have been flattened oblates. Sounds like a great tomato, and sure is a pretty one, and my ears perked up when I read early midseason!

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014   #7
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Those look great! I hope you'll off these up for trade at some point! I love reading/hearing about tomato stories!
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Very often a person will just name a variety for him or herself, a family member, winning a contest with it at a local fair, named after the church and on and on. That church one is called Jean's Prize, and I've offered seeds for it in my seed offers here and was so named b'c Jean won so many prizes with it at the church harvest fair.

Maybe this man was originally from Chicago. No way to know, and in many cases more info can be unearthed, as it were, but in this case I don't see that happening.

Let me give you just one recent example.

A Tville member contacted me about a new variety she came across that was just called George's Seeds, or George's, she got more info about it and it turned out that George was the person who brought the seeds from Italy to the US.

So we talked about it quite a bit, via PM and the final name decided on was George's Giant Italian Red and it's being grown out by one of my seed producer folks who gardens in the midwest and if all goes well I'll be offering it in my next seed offer here. And thanks to Tam here at Tville for that one.

I can't tell you how many new ones I've ended up naming, hopefully with a family member, but if not, just having to go on its characteristics.

Neves Azorean Red is another example. I was given seeds for it by a local person who got them from a cousin near Boston, and doing some background sleuthing it turned out that the seeds were originally given to the man who owned Neptunes Harvest by Anthony Neves who had come from the Azores to the US and was trading fruits with the owner for some of the Neptune fish and seaweed products,

Instead of naming it myself I decided to let others know how difficult it can be to name a variety. So I started a thread at GW back in 2003 or so and gave all the background info I had and let them make suggestions. There were 22 folks who responded and the final name we decided on was Neves Azorean Red.

And I sent seeds to all 22 who participated in that thread.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...es_Azorean_Red

Carolyn
Old May 29, 2014   #9
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

The lady he brought the tomato to...her name is Zena. If I can't identify it maybe it should be called Zena's gift. Goes with the story anyway. Thanks Carolyn
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014   #10
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Nice tomato to go with a very nice story. Most guys give their lady flowers, or jewels, or such other... At TVille, we give the one we fancy the gift of a beautiful tomato.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboule View Post
Nice tomato to go with a very nice story. Most guys give their lady flowers, or jewels, or such other... At TVille, we give the one we fancy the gift of a beautiful tomato.
So true.

And Karen, trust me,you aren't going to be able to ID it with a known variety so maybe Zena's Gift would be perfect.

Carolyn
Old May 29, 2014   #12
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

The "early" part attracted me as well. I'd love to trade for some for 2015! I like Zena's Gift as a name, too.
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014   #13
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful tomato. I love the ribbing and the colors. I'd also love to trade for a few seeds, and the Zena's Gift is such an appropriate name. Thanks for sharing the Big Mystery.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014   #14
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

You've got me at early(mid), meaty and few seeds. I'd be interested in trading in 2015. (Whatever the final name).

Last edited by crmauch; May 29, 2014 at 05:35 PM. Reason: added text
crmauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2014   #15
2nd Foundation
Tomatovillian™

I can't resist a ribbed tomato! Aren't they the most beautiful? Intriguing that this one is round rather than flattened. I certainly would be interested to try it here in NC. I think your choice of name is lovely.
~Caroline
~Neil deGrasse Tyson
2nd Foundation is offline   Reply With Quote