Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Florida TAG™ event information and discussion forum. Florida Tasting And Growing group

Old August 28, 2012   #61
Garf
Tomatovillian™

Tropical Storm Isaac has slowed me down terribly. I have to see what has survived.
Old August 28, 2012   #62
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Oh Garf,
I hope everything is OK. Mine will be started on Sept 9th as we get back from. Vacation Sept 8th.
Even if your plants are not in good shape come anyway, I think there will be enough to go around.
Old August 28, 2012   #63
Garf
Tomatovillian™

Not a lot left. Before Isaac, I had a bad case of spider mites. When I checked afterward, something ate my 2 largest plants. I have a few Everglades seedlings from split fruit. The mother of thousands plants are untouched.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-001F.JPG (250.2 KB, 15 views)
Old August 29, 2012   #64
gardenhappy
Tomatovillian™

Default plants

Ginger,
Do you need me to plant more? I have some new seeds donated to the community garden
I just recieved:
Bali
Illini gold
orange banana
the Dutchman
german lunchbox

I'm seeding these this week also:
SWEET PEA
EVER GREEN
HOMESTEAD
OREGON SPRING
AMANA ORANGE
GARDEN PEACH
YELLOW BRANDYWINE
PINK BRANDYWINE
GOLD NUGGET
GRAPE RIESENSTRAUBE
TANGERINE
SILETZ
WINDOW BOX

WE ARE LOOKING FOR TINY AND GIANT TOMATO SEEDS FOR OUR CHILDREN'S AND ADULT GARDENS AND CONTAINERS.
Anyone got :
Spoon
stick
everglades
snow white
sweet million

or
stuffing tomato
GOLIATH VFFNTSt
BIG BEEF VFFNASt
BIG ZAC
BUSH EARLY GIRL
OLD FASHION GOLIATH
CLUSTER GOLIATH HYBRID
SUNNY GOLIATH VFN.
GRANDADDY HYBRID
BUSH GOLIATH(patio type)
We are looking for these seeds.

We have been getting even before Isaac, lot's of rain.Many roads and yards in our area are flooded.Our community gardens are unworkable right now.But soon. At our house we are higher ground and I was even able to have my son till Saturday and we sprayed the beds with raw milk and molasses.Preping to plant the end of this week yet if all goes well.

Transplanting the first planting of tomato's this week,about 200 plants.
this is what we have as of now:
coastel yellow egg
rainbow cherry
jelly bean
peacevine cherry
tiny tim
pineapple
jolie de la table
coustralee french heirloom
black seaman
orange strawberry-pole
bush beef steak
phenomenal
russian love
tim's black truffles
rosalita heirloom
atol-from poland
silver fir tree
costal pride orange
heirloom white potato tomato-only 2 germinated but will save seeds
Gill's all purpose
beefsteak
van weirt ohio
giant garden leader monster
heirloom glacier
amish paste
abe lincoln
orange king slicing
oregon spring
big red
These will be brought in 6'' to 1 gallon pots.Please let me know which you want.I will be pruning these as needed,if needed to encourage stronger plants with more friut unless asked not to.
Please let me know if anyone want any of these.
Old August 29, 2012   #65
Garf
Tomatovillian™

I have seed for stick/curl and am trying to grow Everglades.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stick01a.jpg (106.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg stick02.jpg (65.1 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Garf; August 29, 2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old September 8, 2012   #66
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default Time to start already?

I am on a flight home from vacation today, and I start my seeds tomorrow.
I can't wait and I am also groaning about all the work ahead this year. Because I will be growing so many new ones. I just got back from the pacific NW and that had farmers markets there with many of thevarieties I have been wanting to try ready to purchase,so I did!
Garden happy, sorry I haven't answered you sooner. I think you should just grow what you want and bring it, I think there will be more than enough plants to go around,but the more varieties the merrier!
I am going to be posting about our event at some of the clubs, and several of my friends and neighbors are looking forward to it too.
I'll keep you all posted as to the progress of the seedlings and the event.
NOWS THE TIME!!!
(Yipee!)
-Marsha
Old September 10, 2012   #67
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Managed to get 48 varieties sown, including new seeds not on my previous list such as red boar, pink boar, Charles herring (from Baizanator). Got too tired to do anymore last night, will continue sowing seed tonight. I am doing it like Craig Lehoullier showed in his dense planting video, never tried that method before, but it is easy and I can see where it will be very effective. See this thread:
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=437.
Old September 12, 2012   #68
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default Finished Planting Last Night

Whew! Got all 102 varieties planted, as well as both thai and cinammon basil, 2 kinds of lettuce ,green onions, yellow sweet bell peppers, okra, and catnip for all you cat lovers. We'll have plenty to go around!
Hows everyone else doing do far?
Old September 12, 2012   #69
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

ginger, hope your vacation was good, I wanted to find out what variety of okra you had, as my dad loves that (sorry not me) and I'm looking for some but have no idea what variety would be a good one to grow.

thanks

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
Old September 12, 2012   #70
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Winding our way back to Florida,be home in a week.Neighbor says rain,90 plus temps,humidity above 70-80.Will wait a week or two till humidity comes down I think.We have been sampling maters in our travels,nothing outstanding,but good.Lot of people seem to be starting up personel home gardens caus they are looking for taste and variety,not really economics.Been traveling the backroads on way down.Best maters in West Virginia.Wanted to collect and save seeds,most people are buying plantings Early Girl,Better Boy etc.Hard to find older generation that would "know"anything about heirlooms in thier area and when I did they said they remember this and that but most do not have a computer or means and interest to follow up.Left some contact info with some maybe something will pan out.
Old September 12, 2012   #71
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowyck View Post
ginger, hope your vacation was good, I wanted to find out what variety of okra you had, as my dad loves that (sorry not me) and I'm looking for some but have no idea what variety would be a good one to grow.

thanks
Hi Jan,
I haven't ever grown okra before, but I got it as a sample/bonus with a seed order, so I went ahead with it. Don't know if it will do well in our state yet, but i'll keep you posted.
-Marsha
Old September 12, 2012   #72
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Winding our way back to Florida,be home in a week.Neighbor says rain,90 plus temps,humidity above 70-80.Will wait a week or two till humidity comes down I think.We have been sampling maters in our travels,nothing outstanding,but good.Lot of people seem to be starting up personel home gardens caus they are looking for taste and variety,not really economics.Been traveling the backroads on way down.Best maters in West Virginia.Wanted to collect and save seeds,most people are buying plantings Early Girl,Better Boy etc.Hard to find older generation that would "know"anything about heirlooms in thier area and when I did they said they remember this and that but most do not have a computer or means and interest to follow up.Left some contact info with some maybe something will pan out.
Kurt, we'll be looking forward to your report. I went to Washington state and Oregon, and they had lots of farmer's markets, and I also met another tomatovillian in Washington. Got to sample Sungold F1, it's everthing they say it is and more, as well as sunsugar (just yummy) Spudakee( just as good if not better than Cherokee Purple). I am growing plants for the swap for all except sunsugar.
They were so good that I can't hardly even stand the wait till harvest.
-Marsha
Old September 16, 2012   #73
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default See the new thread for a very important message

New thread started about the plant exchange date.
-Marsha
Old October 4, 2012   #74
beefyboy
Tomatovillian™

Where is Plantation? There is a plantation in Venice, but it cannot be the same?
Old October 4, 2012   #75
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefyboy View Post
Where is Plantation? There is a plantation in Venice, but it cannot be the same?
Plantation is in Broward Co

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture