Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old January 22, 2018   #1
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Default Is Kelp the Magic Pill For Everything

The New Seed Starters Handbook by Nancy Bubel, (publication date 1988)

I love this book and recommend it everyone. In my annual re-read before starting seeds, I paid particular attention to the Kelp chapter.

According to Bubel's personal findings, certain seeds soaked in kelp under specific conditions ( sprayed when leaves were still young, on flowers before bloom), showed accelerated respiration, increased fungicidal properties, and increased flowering.

Studies had just begun on the use of kelp on different crops. I am looking for any updates, particularly of scholarly research findings on this (hopeful) topic. As always, personal experiences are welcome, but please share any results in controlled studies as well. I have come across tons of farm crop research, not so many on tomatoes.

I scored a bottle of Alaska brand kelp at end of season last year at Wally World, so I hope to use it to it's best advantage and contribute to this thread as well.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2018   #2
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

https://s3.wp.wsu.edu/uploads/sites/...d-extracts.pdf
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2018   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Many times I have linked to Neptune Harvest CO in MA.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....0.FtK841kEc5g

They use a cold extraction process for the products they sell, and that's very important b/c it preserves the amino acids,the growth factors, etc.

And yes, there are other of their products that I've used as well, if you do a search here at Tville I'm sure you'll come up with not just this company but others also mentioned.

If someone wants to do an extensive Google search for more info, please do so.

I almost forgot that there's another product that many like as well and that's

https://www.google.com/search?q=Squa...&bih=815&dpr=1
s

Also based in NE. I don't remember if they use a cold extraction process,I didn't check.

Carolyn
Old January 22, 2018   #4
simmran1
Tomatovillian™

The only Lilly Miller brands we have at our Wally’s are Fish Fertilizer and Morbloom, which is phosphoric acid 0-10-10. Check and see if your product has a putrid smell to it, as kelp does not. I buy and use diluted kelp (from Kelp4less) on every seedling, which includes flowers, and it works for me. The saying goes, if your plant needs help – give it kelp is a true statement (for me), but others may think it is a waste of time, money and oceanic plant life.
Old January 22, 2018   #5
bower
Tomatovillian™

Kelp is magic for everything to me - at least partly because it's available and free!

I have read a lot of stuff about it, and will find some of that and post it here at some point, when time allows.

As for personal experience, my first use for kelp many years ago was on the recommendation to soak (or at least, slosh) bare rooted trees or shrubs in a kelp solution before planting, to reduce transplant stress. I did have the occasion to plant some with and some without kelp. It made all the difference IMO, as those that did without were stressed, wilted etc.

I have never sprayed my tomato leaves or flowers with kelp because I don't like to spray them with anything, since the benefit of a greenhouse is to keep the leaves dry, which seems important here. I feed it to their roots instead.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2018   #6
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

We use kelp during all times of the growing process for tomatoes and peppers mostly. Friday Fertilize day is our norm, though half strength during the whole summer. We alternate with liquid kelp and seaweed/fish emulsion every other week.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote