Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old February 18, 2010   #91
brog
Tomatovillian™

I agree with the extra money for the hard work and a few dollars here and there, I`ll not miss but if everyone sent a few dollars it would add up to a very nice gift. LETS ALL DO IT. Bill
Old February 18, 2010   #92
bluelytes
Tomatovillian™

Default Here Today

I got mine today, Thursday, February 18, 2010, little over a month since it was mailed.

Best;
bluey
bluelytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2011   #93
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

I got my seeds 2 weeks ago with free seeds of tomato and squash. Took maybe 3 weeks to get them from when I sent the order. I got 3 different cowpeas varieties and their packets had over 150 seeds! I also found the corn last year had over 100 seeds they are very generous, I have bought packets from other vendors and they have just what the packets says LOL.

Also placed my sweet potato order at the same time for a northern, purple and heirloom samplers. My first time at growing sweet potato in Massachusetts.
Old March 5, 2011   #94
kevinrs
Tomatovillian™

I requested a catalog back on Jan 4, never got that. was figuring I missed the first mailing, but maybe it got lost in the mail or something. I sent my order in on Jan 31, they got it and processed the check by Feb 7, but then they had a blizzard, and one of my items was not in the 2011 catalog(peppers weren't updated online until Feb 8), so it took special processing and took until Feb 21 before it was sent.

Anyway, they located enough seed of the pepper to send me, and with planting Feb 26, tomatoes started sprouting a few days ago, a couple eggplant today, and I think the peppers that held up the order are coming up tomorrow.

The free seed I got was Redfield Beauty Tomato, and Striped Georgia Giant Watermelon. I looked at the description for the watermelon(I already have seed for 2 types) and it's a 30-50 lb type, not sure where to put that, may have to put it at a corner of the garden and route the vines out into the open.

I'm figuring for starting seed in February, I'm going to have to order from the 2011 list on the website next year, in early January or even December, to allow for weather delays.

I'm really puzzled by the website being after the paper catalog in updates though. I haven't seen the catalog, but if as described by some, no fancy pictures etc, should be simple to copy and paste from one to the other.
kevinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2011   #95
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I'm really puzzled by the website being after the paper catalog in updates though. I haven't seen the catalog, but if as described by some, no fancy pictures etc, should be simple to copy and paste from one to the other.

The big push is to get the catalog done first and Linda, Glenn's wife, does it all. And that has to be done and the copy sent to the place where it' s printed since as you've seen from the thread it takes several weeks in some cases to get to folks. The catalog was later than usual this year b'c Glenn also had a deadline to meet for a book he'd been asked to write by Storey Publications, about the birdies. And of course Linda had to do all of that as well from what Glenn gave her.

The website is a totally different issue, different software, and Linda does all of that next. And of course any updates can be put at the website.

I've known Glenn and Linda for over 20 years. Not only does Glenn have a full time teaching position teaching science but Linda has to do all the contact info for the bird section and all the driving back and forth to the PO for initial delivery of the bird related stuff which is a huge job as you can see from the number of heirloom poultry that he also deals with.

As Glenn has emphasized, both in the catalog and at the website, their main mission is seed preservation, they aren't a fast food type place.

In the summer Glenn does hire some of his students to help, but once they're back in school he's the one who has to process all the seed himself.

At this time of the year they do hire some local ladies to help out, but Sandhill is the epitome of the small family run company.

Depending on where someone lives it can take up to a week for a letter with the order to get to Calamus and a week back to the sender with the seeds. The intermediate time it takes is dependent on how many orders are in line ahead of someone.

Redfield Beauty is a really good variety. It's supposed to be a selection from the variety Beauty but is a dead ringer for Eva Purple Ball in almost all ways even down to the wee white stippling on the surface and I think you'll enjoy it very much.

With respect to freebie gift seeds that are sent I have the same problem when packing seeds for an SSE request, that is, what do I think this person might like, can they grow this where they are, do I go along with the fact that they requested only red and pink varieties that are large beefsteak ones, or do I send them a cherry I really like and one that's not red or pink. I hope to please with what I send as a gift, but never know how it turns out.
Old March 6, 2011   #96
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Freebie seeds are always a welcomed surprise. I am glad they sent me Broadleaf mache last year. It is probably good idea to order more than one needs and save it airtight jars for next season...specially the seeds that need an early start like onion, peppers etc.
Old March 6, 2011   #97
Tom C zone 4/5
Tomatovillian™

I finally stopped checking the web page, for its update. The catalog showed up and my order was turned around portal to portal in like 14 days, the old fashioned snail-mail way.
Old March 6, 2011   #98
kevinrs
Tomatovillian™

I wasn't really complaining about the time, I can understand it, just want people to be aware if they are ordering, order early. And Eva Purple Ball is one of the seeds I am trying anyway this year. I'll probably plant the watermelon too, even if I'm going to be giving away the melons.
Old March 17, 2011   #99
333.okh
Tomatovillian™

I love these guys and have nothing but good to say about them!
333.okh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2011   #100
kevinrs
Tomatovillian™

Well, my catalog finally arrived yesterday, 3 weeks after my delayed seed order, when I requested it back weeks before I ordered. Not sure what happened there, but it's a good thing I didn't wait for the print catalog.
Old March 28, 2011   #101
David Marek
Tomatovillian™

Just got my catalog. Which reminds me, time to have a look....
David Marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2012   #102
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

I got their 2012 catalog yesterday.
Old January 18, 2012   #103
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

i got mine too, i am very excited!
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2012   #104
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

I just got mine today. You can tell what they do is a labor of love. I just spent a half-hour reading about the poultry and I don't even need poultry! They have an amazing and diverse selection of birds and seeds/plants. I also admire their stand on not taking internet orders. Overall, very impressive!

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2012   #105
Tom C zone 4/5
Tomatovillian™

Sandhill catalog was in my POB this morning. An order went into my curbside mailbox this afternoon.