Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 26, 2015   #31
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I've said that I am not a GWR fan. But I can entertain the idea if growing one that is bi or multi color (visually) with some green on it when ripe. (speckled or striped)
Is there such a variety that I might investigate ?
Thanks

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2015   #32
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
I've said that I am not a GWR fan. But I can entertain the idea if growing one that is bi or multi color (visually) with some green on it when ripe. (speckled or striped)
Thanks

Gardeneer
Try Captain Lucky. You. Will. Not. Be. Sorry.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2015   #33
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Try Captain Lucky. You. Will. Not. Be. Sorry.
I was going to answer Gardeneer and this is what I would have, and will say.

A GWR is just that, some have a clear epidermis and some have a yellow epidermis that gives them an amber blush, and some might suggest Captain Lucky or Ananas Noir, for instance, sorry about that Marsha,, but they are not green when ripes IMO.

Does this one look like it has a green exterior?

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Ananas_Noire

I don't think so,

Does this one look like it has a green exterior?

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Captain_Lucky

Aside from Dean Slaters picture who shows a green one he says is ripe , the other pictures do not show a green exterior.

For the fun of it I went to Google Images and here's that link where you can see some greenies, some pink and red exteriors as well, always a possible problem with photography, where grown geographically, specific season grown,etc/

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...29.HoVzBa707go

And then there's Millard's own description of it in the 2015 SSE Yearbook/

90 days ( in NC, CJM), unusual pink/green/yellow tricolor, PL, great taste, 10-12 oz fruits, this tomato is an accidental cross with Lucky Cross and an unknown variety, it's meaty and productive and has a long shelf life

Everyone else who lists it uses the same words as Millard did since he was the first to list it along with Susan Anderson.

Here's the Google search;

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...n+lucky+tomato

Almost everyone who grows it likes it, and that's great, but of course just my opinion but I wouldn't call it a

GREEN

WHEN

RIPE

variety.

Carolyn
Old July 26, 2015   #34
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thanks

Gardeneer
Look again at what he is asking for, Carolyn. He is saying he wants a bi or multi color WITH SOME GREEN on it when ripe. That is why I said Captain Lucky. I NEVER thought that Captain Lucky is a GWR.
Old July 26, 2015   #35
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Look again at what he is asking for, Carolyn. He is saying he wants a bi or multi color WITH SOME GREEN on it when ripe. That is why I said Captain Lucky. I NEVER thought that Captain Lucky is a GWR.
I did just look at it again and the words I saw that were important to me were:

(I've said that I am not a GWR fan. But I can entertain the idea if growing one)

Which to me meant growing a basic GWR. And then he added the bi and multi color traits on top of a basic GWR which, again, to me does not a GWR make.

I'm just a lonely little voice being heard in the wilderness so anyone can ignore what I've just posted if they choose to do so.

Whatever.

Carolyn
Old July 26, 2015   #36
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

I grew Queen Aliquippa from Phil Seneca. Bought the seeds before I found out about him. It was a very tasty GWR true pear shaped tomato 3-4 oz. To me it had a spicy taste. It kept on the vine for a long time. The vines were controllable - about 60" and the yield was average. I will grow it again.
For yield my best was Lime Green Salad.

MikeInCypress
Old July 27, 2015   #37
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

I've tried a few GWRs, and liked most of them. Aunt Rubys German Green is reliably tasty for me, and I've been less impressed with Absinthe, Grub's Mystery Green, and Green Zebra. Last year, Moldoven Green was delightful. Malachite is out there this year, but I'm still waiting to try it. I've liked pretty much all the small ones I've grown: Green Doctors, Green Zebra, Cherokee Green Grape, and the Tigers, Green and Lucky.
Old July 27, 2015   #38
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Marsha, and carolyn.
As you can seed my Avatar depicts Ananas Noir, . That is one of my favorites . And Captain Lucky (I have heard) is very similar to AN. But AN does not have much of green epiderm but when cut it is another thing. I Love that multi color flesh
Here a picture of My AN in 2014. It had some green suggestion on it but not much. Maybe Captain Lucky has more green.
(Hahaha. there is also a GZ in the picture too.)
Thanks again. I will look at more pics on google.

Gardeneer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AN-record.jpg (53.0 KB, 146 views)

Last edited by Gardeneer; July 27, 2015 at 01:33 AM.
Old July 27, 2015   #39
CamuMahubah
Tomatovillian™

GWR would prolly be the ultimate frying tomato for me as I'd prolly get a few ripes one in the frying batch and that would really mix things up! For the better!
CamuMahubah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2015   #40
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamuMahubah View Post
GWR would prolly be the ultimate frying tomato for me as I'd prolly get a few ripes one in the frying batch and that would really mix things up! For the better!
That's what I do with my green salsa. I combine GWR with tomatillos for green salsa. Adds a great tang.

Gardeneer, Copper River is my go to tricolor. Adds a new dimension to a plate of colorful sliced tomatoes and is very tasty.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2015   #41
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I grew Malachite box this year and it was bland and somewhat mealy for me. I tried a dozen or more and it never got better. That is the only GWR I have tried so far. I will say others I gave them to have liked them, but not me.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2015   #42
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I found this in Google search. It is called GREEN COPIA.
Has anybody here grown it ?

Gardeneer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg green copia.JPG (35.8 KB, 139 views)
Old July 27, 2015   #43
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I found this in Google search. It is called GREEN COPIA.
Has anybody here grown it ?

Gardeneer
It's a good thing I went to Tania's page for it b'c I had it mixed up with Copia itself which was a Jeff Dawson one but this one was found by Andrey in Belarus as described in the following link;

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki...b=General_Info

I didn't do an IMAGES search nor did I do a search here at Tville to see if anyone here had grown it, but the few pictures I saw reminded me of pictures of both Captain Lucky and Ananas Noire.

Tania noted that the seed she got gave her some plants that were not Green Copia and made a comment about some possible genetic instability problems, and as I recall, pictures and comments from others also sometimes questioned stability of both Captain Lucky and Ananas Noire, so maybe it has something to do with the interiors of all three being tri colored. I don't know.

Carolyn
Old July 27, 2015   #44
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
I grew Malachite box this year and it was bland and somewhat mealy for me. I tried a dozen or more and it never got better. That is the only GWR I have tried so far. I will say others I gave them to have liked them, but not me.
It was bland and mealy for me too. I think I would like to try again but with a different seed source, mine came from the MMMM 2 times ago. I want to try seeds from someone's who loved it.
Old July 27, 2015   #45
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
It was bland and mealy for me too. I think I would like to try again but with a different seed source, mine came from the MMMM 2 times ago. I want to try seeds from someone's who loved it.
That was my experience as well, and I think my seeds came from you Marsha. Grubs Mystery green wasn't as mealy, but still kind of lacked in taste and flavor. Cherokee Green has been my standard for comparing GWR's and one I will continue to grow.
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote