Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old January 4, 2009   #1
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

Default Target has roughnecks on sale

18 or 21 gallons are only $5.49 and the 50 gallon one is listed at 15.99. I'm hoping they have the 31 gallons on sale too. . . I've only been able to find them listed at $20 each- arg!

I've figured out that I'm strong enough to cut plastic with my kitchen shears (yay!), so I'm totally going to make some Earthtainers. . . the question left now is whether I try to save money and make my life more difficult by attempting to make 18 or 50 gallon ones.
Old January 4, 2009   #2
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Heather,

At those prices I would recommend you get the 21 gallon Roughnecks. The 50 gallon size would be to difficult to move around, store, etc.

For reference, Lowes carries the 31 gallon ones for $14.97 (in California). Your price may be lower on the East Coast. Still, the Target ones are a great deal, but remember, you would only get one plant per container when using the smaller size units. Several have tried 2 plants in an 18 gallon container - - only to regret squeezing them in.

Ray
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2009   #3
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

Default Rubbermaid

Wal Mart in Fairfax,VA was closing out their Christmas totes; 29 gal Red n Green Rubbermaid Storage Totes for $5.00
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2009   #4
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

My Wal-mart (West Bend Wi) had the red + greens for $6. I don't think they were the 29 gal tho. Not sure. They also had a paper on the shelves about a typo in the ads for 4 size boxes. The typo had been for $5

So Wally isn't the same price across the country.
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2009   #5
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

How much $ does it cost to fill a 31 gallon Eartainer with potting mix?

I almost wonder if it would be cheaper for me to call around and find the 31 gallon containers for $15 dollars each, as for two plants I would only need soil to partially fill a 31 gallon container as opposed to 42 gallons. . . also with two boxes for two plants I'd have to have pay for two wicking baskets etc.

Grrr. . . normally I wouldn't care about garden $- but we gave away all our yard stuff when we moved to Boston (mower, grill etc), so now that we've moved out of the city I have to start all over. It's lovely here though and I get to garden again so I can't complain.
Old January 4, 2009   #6
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Heather,

That is why I standardized on the 31 gallon solution. I wanted a 2 plant per 'Tainer approach. You need only one wicking basket, as only one filler tube. If you go with some form of Automated Watering System, you divide that cost in half / per plant.

My 31 gallon 'Tainers hold approx 3.3 cubic feet of potting mix, so I figure each plant is in a one and a half foot cube of mix to play in. Seems to work fine for me.

Certainly, the 29 gallon Christmas colored containers would also hold 2 plants - - my only (personal) problem is that I want neutral color in my yard, and I am concerned that the glaring red and green colors would drive me nuts, over time.

Ray
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote