Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old June 13, 2012   #121
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for the exra help. I just paid for the Excaliber before I checked here so it is done now. I got all the freebies that the US site was offering and free shipping within Canada so I think I have just what you have Kath. The lady here told me they don't sell the one with the timer because it is just a clockwork one and it easier to use the plug in one from the store, cheaper and easier to replace .

So it will be here in a few days.

Thank you re the vacuum cleaner, I too am leaning towards the Miele. I have had Dyson in the past when we were over in the UK for a few years.My husband is the vacuum guy in this house and he hated it, in fact he gave it to my son when he got married. Maybe they are better now. I want something really powerful. I liked the idea of the commercial Eureka that ther hotels use but it is no longer made. Oh well next weeks treasure hunt!!

Thank you all again, you are a great bunch.

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2012   #122
kath
Tomatovillian™

Happy to help, Jeannine- hope you love it!

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2012   #123
harveyc
Tomatovillian™

I read this thread and just started drying about 5-6 pounds of Sungold cherry tomatoes (cut in half). Also thought I'd post a link to some UC Davis information: http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8116.pdf
harveyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2012   #124
Tom Atillo
Tomatovillian™

My tips for dehydrating tomatoes are: wrap them in cheese cloth and spin dry them in the washing machine first (get's rid of major moisture fast). Next you dry newspaper or more paper towels in your dehydrator. You will need to check to see when they are almost dry often. when you can wrap one in plastic wrap without seeing steam, add these to whatever dish you want.
Side note: The dried toms can bye pulverized in a blender and used for many culinary projects. The resulting tomato powder can really boost the crappy bland taste of many summer tomatoes!
Tom Atillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2012   #125
Tom Atillo
Tomatovillian™

Opps I meant "winter tomatoes" just add the powder to salsas or wherever you requier the boost in flavor.
Tom Atillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2012   #126
Lowlander
Tomatovillian™

Default dehydrator temp?

at what temperature should I set my dehydrator to dry my vegetables??

peppers
carrots
tomatos
herbs

thanks
Lowlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2012   #127
Elizabeth
Tomatovillian™

Peppers: 120 degrees - 12-18 hrs for halves, 8-12 hrs for slices and pieces

Carrots: 1/8" slices or small chopped - 12-18 hrs at 120 degrees

Tomatoes: 1/8" slices or 1/4" cubes - 120 degrees 8-10 hrs, then turn slices and dry for another 6-8 hrs to brittle stage.

Herbs: Depends. Most of them dry at 110 degrees somewhere between 4 and 12 hours, depending on type. You may want to do them separate from different herbs and veg as they can flavor other stuff in the dehydrator.

Mine has flexible grid sheets that I place on the trays - it really helps with the smaller bits and anything that tends to stick like tomatoes or fruits.

My fave book is Making and Using Dried Foods by Phyllis Hobson. If I had bought that one first I never would have needed another. Sadly it was the 4th dehydrator book I bought. It's the only one that says how to dry beet greens (most books say to toss them as they have no value dried!) and has instructions on drying parsnips and rutabaga - those are tough ones to find in most dehydrator books, but needed for those of us in warm climes without root cellars.

If I'm going to water and care for a plant it had better give me food, flowers or shade.
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2012   #128
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I'm experimenting. I had a huge crop of runner beans (picked as green beans) and am drying the blanched beans. Has anyone dehydrated green beans? Why do they need to be blanched first (or do they?)?

I'm also drying Pink Vernissage tomatoes. They're large-cherry size, prolific, and producing far more than I can make into fresh salsa.

Next up will be zucchini and eggplant from the garden, apples, and maybe some carrots from the farmers' market. Do apples need to be dipped in lemon juice first?
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2012   #129
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

We've been drying lots of Okra. After drying, we run it thru the processor. The powder eventually goes into soups, etc. The other small pieces we have been adding to homemade cornbread and drop biscuits.

We always do some tomatoes, sweet peppers, and onions. This year we also did some peaches and apples for winter munching.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2012   #130
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Has anyone dried blackberries?
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2012   #131
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
Has anyone dried blackberries?
No, but I've dried raspberries and all I was left with were seeds. Seems to me the result with blackberries would just be bigger seeds.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2012   #132
Lorri D
Tomatovillian™

I did black berries. I really don't rehydrate fruit, I prefer it dried. I won't do black berries again. They were almost nutty in a strange way. All of the black berry taste was gone and seed flavor was all that was left.

On the other hand, I will do raspberries again. I thought they turned out nice. They had raspberry flavor when you eat them dried and they were sorta fun to eat. Like raspberry flavored syrofoam.

I have also done: peach fruit leather, apple fruit leather; cherries, bananas, lemons, limes, and oranges; basil, strawberries, tomatoes, squash, mushrooms and peppers.

I just got my excalibur about 3 weeks ago and it has been busy!
Lorri D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2012   #133
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Ditto here to the blackberries and seeds. If you have a lot, you could make fruit leather or jam/syrup/sauce to can.
Old September 1, 2012   #134
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

I just finished some paprika peppers and some jalapenos for some good powders. I should have planted more paprika peppers.

I currently have in some zucchini chips dehydrating, never tried them before.

Dean
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2012   #135
Lowlander
Tomatovillian™

tomatos
red bell peppers
thai chilis
jalepenos
thyme
rosemary
oregano