Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 25, 2010   #1
kerry.heafner
Tomatovillian™

Default Jiffy Seed Starting Mix

Have been away from the board for a while. Just wondering if anyone out there in Tomatoville has had problems with the Jiffy brand seed starting mixes this year. Our seeds have been sluggish this year, and the seed starting mix has been hard to wet, prone to molding, and just generally leaving a lot to be desired. Planted two flats of Mortgage Lifters and Millionaires last week in Pro-Mix, and they were germinated in four days.
Anyone else encounter problems with the Jiffy seed starting mix?
Old April 25, 2010   #2
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

I found the same … very hard to wet (it always is, but this year was worse) and seedlings had very poor growth. When I started transplanting into ProMix, some of the cells were dry as dust. I didn’t have any mold though.
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2010   #3
coloken
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

You shure make me wonder. Earlier I started a bunch of tomatoes in miracle grow potting mix with great results. More recently I tried a few more in jiffy starting mix and am having all most no germination. I blamed the seed or the moon was wrong.
KennyP
coloken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2010   #4
peggyneckfarms
Tomatovillian™

I had the same problems. Had many no germinations and sluggish starts. Next year will be pro mix for sure. Southern States has 3.6 bail for $22.95
peggyneckfarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2010   #5
danwigz
Tomatovillian™

I used Jiffy mix for a few of my seeds and I didn't have any problems with germination, however I did have problems making sure the mix stayed wet; it seems to repel water instead of drinking it up like I'd expect.

Dan
danwigz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2010   #6
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I had great luck with the first two bags of Jiffy seed starter. I also started some in two other mixes and neither did as good as the Jiffy. One got moldy real quick,even before the seeds could pop up and the other dried out too quick.
I used the hot water in the bag to wet mine and after that had no trouble keeping it wet. The one thing I did notice is that even when it is wet it tends to look dry which is better than the Miracle Grow seed starting mix which looks wet when it isn't.
I'll be starting some seed with the Jiffy this week and will see if this recently purchased bag has problems.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2010   #7
coloken
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

The more I think about it, I am convinced it caused me problems. 12 days since 6 seeds in a tray..2 little sprouts. Another variety in 3 inch pot with 2 seeds, no anything. My usual is 4 to 5 days with a heat pad. I moved the 2 sprouts to a MG pot and replanted the other with my old stand by MG potting mix. It could be its water holdiing, or not holding that is makeing it touchey. Any way, the rest of the bag is dumped out on the garden.
KennyP
Old April 26, 2010   #8
Barryblushes
Tomatovillian™

Last year I used Jiffy Mix and had no problems germination wise.But there was all kinds of sticks,and twigs in it.Think I even found a '68 Chevy bumper near the bottom of one bag .This year my wife got me 2 Ferry Morse Mix bags, and very few sticks and twigs.On the Jiffy Mix, I added some Perlite last year,this year I didnt add it.I found no difference in germination.But Im sticking to the Ferry Morse brand for sure. Barry
Barryblushes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010   #9
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

I'm not a fan of Jiffy seed starting soil. Sometime last year I needed to start some seeds and only had Cactus, Palm, and Citrus soil so decided to give it a try rather than buying a new bag of Jiffy. Wasn't sure how seedlings would react but it turned out they reacted tremendously well, and much better than any seedlings I've ever had using Jiffy seed starting soil. By the time they were ready to transplant they looked as big, strong, and healthy as any seedling I've seen in a greenhouse for sale. And that was using only shoplights with bulbs that have needed replacing for a year because they had lost much of their effectiveness.

I will say though, I recently bought a new bag of MG Cactus, Palm and Citrus soil and it had more tiny sticks and other things than the first two bags I had used. The seedlings are still responding well, however.
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010   #10
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

I have used Miracle-gro as my seed starting mix for years without any problems. After all the discussion on a better way to start seeds without the added fertilizer, etc., I decided to go with a seed starter. I picked up Jiffy mix and all my tomatoes were sluggish in growth habit. None died, but everything was about two to three weeks behind. Lots of mold, too.

As soon as I did the first transplant I got the growth spurt I expected, but the stems were not as well developed as in the past. Will I go with a starter mix again? Probably not. Will I use Jiffy? No, never.

After all that, what I put in the ground on Monday will be OK and will produce. Not a catastrophe, just a learning situation.
Old May 6, 2010   #11
louster
Tomatovillian™

I, too have always used Miracle Grow seed starting mix. After reading the post on the success rate with the Cactus, Palm, and Citrus mix, I bought some this year to try. Almost none of my seeds came up, and the ones that did looked terrible. So I started over with what was available at the local hardware store, which was Jiffy. Had much better germination, but the seedlings were stunted and I had the mold problem also. Last week I finished transplanting into 4" pots with Miracle Grow potting soil, and they have really taken off and done well. So for me, at least, lesson learned...stick with what works for you!!
louster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2010   #12
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by louster View Post
I, too have always used Miracle Grow seed starting mix. After reading the post on the success rate with the Cactus, Palm, and Citrus mix, I bought some this year to try. Almost none of my seeds came up, and the ones that did looked terrible. So I started over with what was available at the local hardware store, which was Jiffy. Had much better germination, but the seedlings were stunted and I had the mold problem also. Last week I finished transplanting into 4" pots with Miracle Grow potting soil, and they have really taken off and done well. So for me, at least, lesson learned...stick with what works for you!!
louster,

Sorry to hear you had trouble with the Cactus, Palm & Citrus mix. It's worked very well for me, and I've started tomato, pepper, eggplant, sunflower, cucumber, melon, and squash so far. Only thing that hasn't germinated yet are the beans, but I just planted them a couple days ago and the seed is 4 & 5 years old.

Where I really notice the difference is when the seedlings are a few weeks old. I also like the fact the soil doesn't dry out super quick, yet doesn't get soggy unless I overwater.

But I agree, use what works for you. There's more than one way to skin a rabbit!
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2010   #13
louster
Tomatovillian™

Omaha.....not your fault!!! We learn by trying new things....what I learned here is to try new things on a smaller scale first! Maybe I should try some of the Cactus mix when I transplant to 4" pots next year. I did like the texture of that mix.

Hoping we all have a great tomato-growing year!!
Louann
louster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2010   #14
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I've had mold problems with all seed starting mixes I have tried except the Jiffy last year. So I think the problem is you never know what these guys will put in their mix. Maybe some years they have better quality materials than other years. The newest bag of Jiffy I bought smells moldy even before I used it so I am expecting problems with it. I try to use a couple of different mixes each year for my main seed planting. That way if one gives me problems I usually have one or two that don't.
Seems to me they could be a little more consistant with their quality control. I have found great differences in the quality from time to time within the same brand.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2010   #15
coloken
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

I will sure go with what b54red says. My best has all ways been MG potting mix. But this week i needed to start some more that I was short on. This bag of MG potting mix is nothing like what I am use to. Big chunks an such. I should have screened it but i did not. Now I worry that I may have a problem.
Kenny