Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old December 12, 2019   #16
imp
Tomatovillian™

The scarchuck's is listed at Glenn Drons site. So is GSR bt not available for 2019.

Betty, I would like to try a few of the GSR seeds if you want, but a question. Is the flesh a yellow or an orange color? Either way, my email is suzy**in**wf**at**gmail.com
Old December 12, 2019   #17
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I posted my email in the main forum. If people are uncomfortable doing the same, and would like to contact each other, you can first email me and I can email the corresponding email addresses. I'm not online every day, so you will need a bit of patience.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2019   #18
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Betty, I don't have consistently good results when starting melons and squash in situ, so I only attempt when seeds are plentiful and cheap. The majority of the time I start in the largest round Jiffy peat pots to gain a little heads up as my season is somewhat short.
My transplants were virtually obliterated by a freak hail storm in the middle of the night last May. I had just planted out tomatoes in the backyard the day prior to losing all of them. Some still in the pot grew back if there was at least one truss. Without a growing tip it stayed a stub. Cucumber and squash were particularly fragile.
I hope upcountrygirl returns to the post and sees this with the pm system shut off.

- Lisa

Is 6" round and 5" deep the largest Jiffy peat pot?

I use plastic pots about 12" round and 9" deep. They are filled with a mix (about 50/50) of soil and compost. I start seeds 3 weeks (up to no more than 4 weeks) before transplanting time. If the weather is good and growth is fast, they get transplanted at three weeks. If the growth is slow, then up to 4 weeks. Beyond 4 weeks the plants may start to get root bound, and can easily be damaged when transplanting.

Rather than dig a hole, I dig a furrow. I slide an almost sideways tilted pot off the plant. The pot is almost dragged across the furrow so the plant is as close to the soil as possible. It's all about zero to minimum root disturbance with squash and melons. I've never had a problem with transplants. 130-150 dtm squash (like Tahitian Melon Squash) have easily reached maturity in my garden.
Old December 12, 2019   #19
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
The scarchuck's is listed at Glenn Drons site. So is GSR bt not available for 2019.

Betty, I would like to try a few of the GSR seeds if you want, but a question. Is the flesh a yellow or an orange color? Either way, my email is suzy**in**wf**at**gmail.com

GSR should be deep orange. I've heard of some yellow fleshed ones, which may be crossed seed, or the wrong variety. Exterior color of squash can be quite variable, but I've never experienced interior color with much, if any, difference.
Old December 12, 2019   #20
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

Betty, would going through Tormato be o.k. with you on obtaining the seed?

Btw...Tormato is awesome!
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2019   #21
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Upcountrygirl,

Email me, lest you be a "villian".
I'll likely be offline until about Monday
Old December 12, 2019   #22
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Yay that we have a plan for increasing seed stock now. My area is very proactive on seed saving, and I took a hands on class on squash pollination but my skills are not developed. As I grow squash in a remote garden where I have full sun, I would not be able to mark the potential blossoms and run out and look at it every few hours. I look forward to reaping the" fruits " of your labor next year. Good luck with the grow out and thank you for sharing and taking on the project.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2019   #23
BettyC-5
Tomatovillian™

upcountrygirl, going through Tormato is okay with me, I have sent him my email but I don't know if he kept it. I wrote his email down, so who sends info first? Imp- I have not grown the Greek Sweet Red. Grew Red Kuri. I save the paper cups I get with a fast food meal and plant in them, not real wide, but are quite deep for squash. Have not had any problems either with transplanting.
BettyC-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2021   #24
BettyC-5
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by upcountrygirl View Post
Betty, would going through Tormato be o.k. with you on obtaining the seed?

Btw...Tormato is awesome!
I know it has been quite awhile, but did you get any of the Greek Sweet Red squash to grow? I planted a couple, but got only one squash that I didn't get a chance to bag, so could be crossed with something else. I have one seed left.
BettyC-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2021   #25
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Posting here as there is some new activity in this thread. My seed librarian is new, and taking requests for seeds to purchase this year. Due to the long delay in shipping, I would think only heat lovers such as squash would be timely to order, pack and send to the libraries. Any suggestions for a OP squash that would fit in most home gardens and, have "some" pest resistance. The current supply offerings are basically off the rack types.

Drawing a blank on other late summer options. I've ever had luck with fall brussels sprouts or broccoli.

Thanks,
Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote