Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 19, 2016   #16
Jwb4707
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilsgarden1958 View Post
Yea, well I was hit with a massive dose of Cercospora Leaf spot/Mold and had to pull all my original plants. I had to go shopping and found few choices. However, I learned why people who do like hybrids, like Better Boy. Very tasty and productive and will be in my garden again this year. Still trying to pick out another productive red slicer hybrid.
I recommend big beef, production and disease resistance is unbelievable.
Jwb4707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2016   #17
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

I must have snobby taste. I have grown Big Beef multiple years and just don't get it when I see how people rank it as having "very good" flavor. Does the high yield and disease resistance cloud people's judgement perhaps? Are we sometimes conditioned by what we are told to expect?
I think it is an average flavored tomato. Maybe call it so-so or ok.
I have yet to try a hybrid that I would call very good or excellent. Only heirlooms so far in my trials over the years. But I am open to the possibility.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2016   #18
Jwb4707
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHarvest View Post
I must have snobby taste. I have grown Big Beef multiple years and just don't get it when I see how people rank it as having "very good" flavor. Does the high yield and disease resistance cloud people's judgement perhaps? Are we sometimes conditioned by what we are told to expect?
I have yet to try a hybrid that I would call very good or excellent. Only heirlooms so far in my trials over the years. But I am open to the possibility.
Maybe it doesn't develop as much flavor in your region. For me it has great flavor compared to other hybrids, but can't compete with some heirlooms for sure. It's just hugely reliable.
Jwb4707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2016   #19
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHarvest View Post
I'm not opposite. Everything I like about tomatoes are delivered by hybrids, even flavor. Heirlooms are either too mild or too sweet or too fruity, as well as too stingy.
Old January 20, 2016   #20
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Now, what constitutes a "Good Flavor" ?
That is a subjective definition, unless one offers a description. I might describe a suite tasting tomato as "good tasting". Someone else might refer to tangy or acidic one, or a combination thereof. So there is no way to quantify a "Good tasting " tomato.
To me a good tasting tomato has to be juicy (not mealy) but not with zillions of seeds. I has to be tangy with a hint of sweetness.

ON JERSEY BOY: i have read a lot of good reviews in another site. But I have not grown it myself. If seeds were available off the racks , I would give it a try.

Gardenee
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2016   #21
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Not sure about your coast, but some independent garden centers here get plants from growers that do a burpee program. The standards as well as the heirloom marriage series, brandy boy, jersey boy, super sauce or big mamma. My parents sell them for 1.99 in a 1501 tray so the pot is about 3.5" square.
Maybe check around.
They also have a burpee seed rack and it is corporately pre-loaded with variety selection that never has the new cool stuff. My mom tries to explain how dumb that is and the rep is dumbfounded. Go figure. Basically we gathered that they want people to go to the website and therefore keep the new or exclusives online so you'll shop all their stuff.
So, I don't think you'd find it.
Ill Mail u one but you gotta mail me a tomato from it lol
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2016   #22
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

We planted Jersey Boy last year. It did well for us! It also had a great taste. I can recommend that you try it and see how it performs for you! I would plant it again this year if I had more room. Growing in a GH restricts the number of different varieties I can grow in a year But at least I can grow what fits in the GH!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_2272_1024.jpg (310.3 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_2758_1024.jpg (266.0 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_2354_1024.jpg (219.6 KB, 117 views)
Hudson_WY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2020   #23
PaulTandberg
Tomatovillian™

Jersey Boy has been my favorite tomato two years running. There are many tomatoes I love, but something about Jersey Boy puts it over the top for me. I like it so much that this year I ordered a half-dozen seed packets just in case Burpee drops it. (there are so many varieties, not all can or will continue to be carried).

Outdoor production hasn't been as prolific as Big Beef, but it is more reliable than the heirlooms I grow. The production inside my little 10' X 10" poly greenhouse has been fantastic, and, for me, earlier than Big Beef by 4-5 days. (maturity ratings are the same, however).

I don't believe it is right to assume Jersey Boy and Red Rose are the same just because they came from the same cross. You could cross the same parents ten times and end up with ten different results. Several may be very similar, but there will be range of characteristics expressed. One litter of cats can have several colors.

Last edited by PaulTandberg; April 21, 2020 at 05:56 PM.
PaulTandberg is offline   Reply With Quote