Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 31, 2020   #1
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Default Regarding blue tomatoes

Hi, I am bit out of touch,could someone please tell me what they think is the best blue tomato. I have a young Great Grandson who gets so excited about pulling a carrot from the ground that I have bought a packet of mixed color ones to sow just for him to pickThe paln was he was going to sow them but right nw not possible.

.I though it may be fun for him to see the different tomato colors so I have sown several differnt cherries, but not a blue.

I think I still have time but don't know what to get,and perhaps a reliable place to get them.

I have some very old seeds of a few of Tom Wagners seeds and there maybe a couple of blues in there but they are old!! And I have some very very old seeds of OSU.

All help muchly appreciated

Thank you Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2020   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

Hi Jeannine! Blue tomatoes get gray mold here, so I only grew a couple and we didn't like them enough to keep trying more. BUT, I did find a couple of old threads that may help until someone else finds your thread:

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=36482

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=42874

That's exciting to have a little one to share your love of gardening! Times do change but life goes on. Hoping good things lie ahead for you and yours.

Kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2020   #3
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

Had luck with indigo blue beauty last year.
I have trouble with field mice and red tomatoes.
They leave these alone.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2020   #4
friedgreen51
Tomatovillian™

Default Blue Tomato Seed

Hi Jeannine,
Sent you a PM
Deborah
friedgreen51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2020   #5
oldman
Tomatovillian™

I have two I like. They have similar names but aren't the same fruit. Blue Berry is a standard round cherry with blue over red on the shoulders and brownish pink below. It's got good red tomato taste with a combination of subtle tang and subtle funk. Blueberries is a smaller cherry with lots of anthro blue although it does have some sweetness too. Mine are mostly dark blue growing in full sun with the occasional spot of pink on the blossom end. Both are very productive. Blue Berry I usually snack on or add to a jar of pickled cherry tomatoes for variety. Blueberries are good in baked goods, quiche, and with pesto in pasta. Roasting kicks them up a notch.

There are a few larger blues that are good too, but the cherries are smaller bites and easier to get people to try. I use Green Doctors to convince people to try GWR varieties.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2020   #6
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Having grown several blues, there are none that do anything but look good. Not a fan of the blues.
Old April 3, 2020   #7
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Thank you all, I hit it very lucky, I had sent seeds to someone just a week ago and that person has sent me blues back yesterday,, what goes around comes around truly.
I grew OSU and Blebarries in 2009 when they first appeared, they were not nice just a curiosity really but I understand some are good now, and my great grandson will be excited. I think I may have a budding gardener there.
Old April 3, 2020   #8
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I grew Dark Galaxy and it was delicious.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2020   #9
asaump
Tomatovillian™

Going to try Dancing with Smurfs this year. Started my Tom seeds last weekend.
Old April 11, 2020   #10
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Do a search for Midnight Snack.... Grew it last year and it was pretty good. Very productive also!

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2020   #11
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Dancing with Smurfs is a good one- mine were more red with dark blue shoulders. For a child the name may be a good trigger too. Which ones are you going to grow from those new seeds?
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2020   #12
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Sgt. Pepper's is a delicious red heart with blue shoulders that was available from Carolyn's last couple of seed offers.
Old April 13, 2020   #13
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

The one en rite to me is Helsing***********blue cherry.. I don't know what the stars are for !!

I do have Dancing with Smurfs, I think, I had forgotten they were blue..

They will do me fine for this year. Everything is taking so long in the mail. I have four lots of seeds route, one private(US) and 3 from companies (2 US) and 1 Canadain and they have been shipped for ever it seems. I I asked for my order to Jere Kettle to be cancelled after 6 weeks still pending. I can order for next year as they seem to be struggling right now.
Old April 15, 2020   #14
salix
Tomatovillian™

Hi Jeannine ! Those seeds are probably Helsing ★★★★★★★★ Blues. I grew them a few years ago and they did do well up here. The stems and foliage are also quite dark. The first time I saw the baby fruits from a bit of a distance I got quite alarmed - was sure I had a huge invasion of shiny black beetles... Just make sure they are very ripe before eating.
Old April 15, 2020   #15
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Salix, I am glad they look different. My little Great Grandson, loves to go poking around in my greenhouse, so I thought I would make it interesting. I did have a big pot ready for him to plant some things himself but sadly we are not seeing each other till the virus lets us all out, so I will have to sow for him. Stay safe