Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old February 20, 2008   #1
brog
Tomatovillian™

Default Gurney's telling whoppers?

Just received new catolog with special offer of whopper strawberry developrd in Europe. Has anyone had any experience growing it I`ve had good luck ordering from Gurneys in the past, BUT( New owners) this sounds like a whopper tale. Thanks for any feed back Bill
Old February 21, 2008   #2
Quackie
Tomatovillian™

Possibly it's our location here in the Ozarks--wet spring last year--but the variety was a disaster. Huge plants, huge strawberries. But lots of fungus so that the berries rotted readily; hardly one came in the kitchen without rot. And the taste was flat. I'm not blaming the variety, and Gurney happily refunded our money with their guarantee. Possibly somewhere else they would do better. (Had 2 other very productive and tasty varieties).
Quackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2008   #3
brog
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the feedback-- What kind of bed did you use--black poly--straw--raised bed etc. any info on how you grow your berries would helpfull---Bill
Old February 21, 2008   #4
Quackie
Tomatovillian™

A bed with a lot of organic material dug into it, mulched with pine needles to keep weeds out. We have grown a number of strawberry varieties over 30 plus years; this was the only one whose flavor we did not like. We pulled the plants and replaced them with other varieties.
Quackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2008   #5
Luvgardening2
Tomatovillian™

Hi, I also purchase from Gurney's and I have had good luck with them. I purchased Raspberries and Strawberries last year and a few did not make it and they refunded all of my money. I explained the situation but they insisted. So of course with Customer Service like that, I bought from them again. I did see the Whopper Strawberries but I did not buy them. I seem to feel that when they are too big, they are tasteless. I really like their Sparkle Supreme and Jewel. Not huge but really tasty.

Nancy

Last edited by Luvgardening2; February 22, 2008 at 01:33 AM. Reason: typo
Luvgardening2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2008   #6
brog
Tomatovillian™

Default sparkle

Thanks Nancy I have sparkle it does great for me, 40 plants-- 25pts for freezer plus lots of grazing. I`ve used Gurney for 8 plus years and always been happy with products and service, BUT I`ve never seen a circus add like this before. I always worry about change in ownership. I hope Carolyn knows the new onwers and will respond.
Thanks and GOD BLESS Bill
Old December 29, 2012   #7
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Reading the reviews of Gurneys, they do seem to make a lot of people angry. Often it is the "it ships when we say so" policy regarding trees. They wouldn't mail my key lime tree until April, because they said they only shipped when it was appropriate to plant - as if there is ever an appropriate time to plant citrus trees in Zone 6. I can see them not wanting it to freeze in shipment, though.

Last year I got a $25 off anything coupon. I ended up paying them $3 for my $28 order, so it was hard to beat. The key lime tree has grown like the weed that it is, and I also had good luck with the "Double Delight" sweet bullhorn pepper, which I think only they sell. I end up buying the "Gurneys exclusive" seeds, which is the only way I can justify paying $7 for a 15 seed packet.

Speaking of those "exclusives," I wonder if their "Orange Whopper"
http://gurneys.com/gurney%92s%3Csup%...omato/p/64790/

is the same tomato as Heirloom Orange F1:
http://www.geneticseed.com/comm_view...t.aspx?ID=3657
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2012   #8
Hotwired
Tomatovillian™

OK, I had to click on the Heirloom F1 link. Must be an "Heirloom F-1" is much like a thoroughbred mule, or a purebred mongrel. Genetic Seed & Chemical specializes in Roundup and weedkillers. It scares me when a company named Genetic Seed make a statement like that. Somebody at Genetic Seed needs to take a refresher course in Mendelian genetics.

Last week I couldn't spell geneticist - Now I is one.
Hotwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2012   #9
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

The "hybrid heirloom" thing is pretty funny. When most people don't know what the words mean, the seed companies can use them to mean whatever they like.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2012   #10
Hotwired
Tomatovillian™

Default F-1 Heirloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
The "hybrid heirloom" thing is pretty funny. When most people don't know what the words mean, the seed companies can use them to mean whatever they like.
My favorite is "Created Heirloom" which is supposedly a cross between two heirlooms. I guess that sounds more marketable than F-1 Hybrid. I always understood that an F-10 is a stable hybrid, and after 50 years it becomes an heirloom. Comfrey Tea by any other name still smells nasty.

Last edited by Hotwired; December 29, 2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old December 29, 2012   #11
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

I just love marketing speak. It's the attempt to may a liability sound like a feature. It's using a series of words that parse into nothing meaningful, but sound good. I read a comment about Abe Lincoln's "You can fools all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time" Appended to it was " and that is usually good enough"
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2012   #12
Hotwired
Tomatovillian™

I sent Genetic Seeds an Email asking what an Heirloom F-1 was and stating that an F-1 is a Hybrid and they are two separate things.

They responded ......

Are you freakin serious. You might do a little research to see how a new plant is made for the consumer. Have a great New Year.

Thx

I'm going to rush and get a seed order out right now.
Old December 30, 2012   #13
horses4jess
Tomatovillian™

It sounds like their customer service will be stellar, too. Yikes.
horses4jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2012   #14
baileyj
Tomatovillian™

Hotwired-I was confused when I saw the Heirloom F1 and thought I need to revew my genetic understanding (rusty at best).

I also think self promotion is a good thing....good quality products should be promoted !

I have used Gurney in the past with mixed success, mostly negative. Now I only use them for products like cages, seed flats, etc...and always use the coupons.
I know they have a replacement policy but also read reviews from some who were told they could no longer get replacements since they had asked for so many...
I do have a 6 foot lime tree from Gurney's that is about 4 yrs old....most other live plants have passed away !

I did think I received a Garden's Alive coupon, but cannot find it now...I will post when I find it.
baileyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2013   #15
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwired View Post
I sent Genetic Seeds an Email asking what an Heirloom F-1 was and stating that an F-1 is a Hybrid and they are two separate things.

They responded ......

Are you freakin serious. You might do a little research to see how a new plant is made for the consumer. Have a great New Year.

Thx

I'm going to rush and get a seed order out right now.
Thanks for making my day!
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote