Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 10, 2008   #1
tomatoguy
Tomatovillian™

Default This year's varieties

Tomatoes are coming in at about a dozen a day from my 22 plants and I have tasted just about all of them. The only one I am still waiting on is Ed's Millenium. I have several more tomato eaters in my house than usual this year so what I write below reflects four opinions rather than two. We will have our annual tomato tasting next Saturday. It will be interesting to see if the opinion of my friends and growers coincides with that of my family. ASterisk* indicates new varieties to me. The number before the name indicates my overall score (on a scale of 10) for the variety, as grown here, this year. Your mileage may vary, etc.

9.5 -Big Red - a banner year for this misnamed medium large pink. It was a late starter but is coming along fine now. These are the ones I predict will win the taste test. They are very tart and tasty with a smooth texture like Brandywine. I had two seeds left and no other sources. Bigcheef got a seed and I got one. I am lucky to be able to save seeds for this one for next year.

9.5 -Earl's Faux - EF is also coming in late but it has a marvelous taste and texture as well. I am sure it will come back for many future seasons. This is my mom's favorite.

9 - Tennessee Heirloom - A new discovery for me. Very tasty pink/red medium large tomatoes with good texture. A possible contender for the taste test as well. Productive.

8 - Guido - A nice medium large red with above average taste. Oddly enough, despite having thin skin, the skin is a bit tough.

7 - Mortgage Lifter Estler's Strain - This plant almost didn't make it. I traumatized it a bit with my crowded conditions under the light. The tomatoes are tasty and have good texture but production is low and size is smaller than expected.

6 - Rita's Black - The opinion is mixed on this one. My mom doesn't care for it. It is just so-so to me. However, it is my daughter's favorite. Very productive with unusual shaped fruits like a cross between a pear and a patty pan squash. I liked the first couple of fruits from this one but my judgment may have been clouded by the fact that I hadn't had a homegrown tomato in many months.

6.5 - Tennessee Black - Very good taste with only average texture. Container grown so production is not so good. May give this one a try in the main garden at some point.

8 - New Big Dwarf - Trying my third seed source on these. This plant is smaller than the ones in the past, only 5 feet tall. Early Blight hit this one hard but the early fruits from it were excellent in taste and texture.

8 - Cuostralee - The biggest plant of all. Very nice taste with average texture and very high production.

9.9 - Mong - Another pleasant surprise. This one definitely comes back. Extra large tomatoes (over two pounds). Productive, fullbodied taste and excellent texture.

7.5 - Golden Monarch - A very good yellow. Container grown so production is low. Taste comparable to Golden Queen USDA but larger fruit. May come back at some point.

2 - Matina - This year's Spitter award for sure. Good production and early. Very bland tomatoes. No one in the family likes these.

7 - Red Rocket - Very productive. Nice taste, average texture.

8 - 506 Bush - Very tasty medium sized tomatoes on a very small plant. I recommend this one for container growing if you are looking for an early. I will probably return to Clear Pink Early or Gregori's Altai next year as nothing has beat them to date.

8.5 - Belgian Farmers Beefsteak - Container grown so production is low. Very nice taste in what should be a large tomato if grown in the main plot. Gets another try.

8 - Mountaineer Mystery - Only got a few before Verticillium took this one out. Worth another try. Very tangy variety.

9 - Anahu - Another V victim. These are always good medium reds. A main crop tomato, for sure. Very heavy foliage prevents sun scald in hot climates. Will grow it again at some point.

9 - Healani - Last of the V victims. This one was a pleasant surprise. Another Hawaiian variety. Came in early with good taste and texture.

8 - Big Zac - Had more catfacing on these than other varieties. Very good taste, texture and production but the size doesn't even come close to Mong.

3 - Church - Wouldn't you know that this is the only variety I have two of. Very bland. Texture is good. Production average.

7 - Early Large Red - Very little production due to being grown in a container. This is one of my favorites but I just grew it this year for seed saving.

5 - Stump of the World - Late starter. Average taste and texture. A little too sweet for me.

6.5 - Big Burgundy Cherry (growout project) - These don't seem quite as large or as dark as last year but they are also container grown. Will have to see what Bigcheef got to determine if they are the same as mine.

mater
tomatoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2008   #2
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

I think the name Big Red does not refer to the size of the tomato; but to one of our favorite tomato people whose id on here was Big Red; it is a variety that he found or discovered. He passed away a few months ago. If this not correct info, someone will correct me.
kygreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2008   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygreg View Post
I think the name Big Red does not refer to the size of the tomato; but to one of our favorite tomato people whose id on here was Big Red; it is a variety that he found or discovered. He passed away a few months ago. If this not correct info, someone will correct me.
Actually the variety Big Red has been listed in SSE Yearbooks since the late 1980's.

I grew it b'c Go Big Red is the battle cry of the Cornell sports teams.

And Big Red should be RED, not pink.

Here's my description from 1997, which was the first Yearbook I scooped off the floor to my left.

Indet, RL, good set of about 2 lb fruits, two sided looking heart shaped fruits, very good flavor, from NJ BR '92.

Other don't say heart shaped, just large beefsteaks, and Chuck Wyatt appears not to have the correct Big Red b'c he said large globes, and his seed source was an SSE member from KY.

The Big Red that passed away here was best known for Indiana Red and Linnie's Oxheart.
Old August 10, 2008   #4
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, as usual, is right; just proves you should always consider the source of your info. I now remember that I got Big Red seeds abd Linnie's Oxheart seeds from Big Red himself; just got my stories croseed. The Big Red plant I have is producing 8oz tomatoes.
kygreg is offline   Reply With Quote