Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old January 25, 2017   #1
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Default Propagating grapes

As a recent transplant to grape growing territory I am looking for advice on whether it is easy or difficult to propagate grapes. How to go about it: cuttings, air layering, ?when to do it etc.
Mostly is it typically successful enough to make it worth the trouble? I have access to several varieties to practice on

KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2017   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Very easy to make cuttings do it before they start to bud make sure some of the internodes are in the rotting medium and by all means make sure they are pointed the right way.
Don't mix up from down.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2017   #3
twillis2252
Tomatovillian™

Karen,
Had a friend give me several cuttings late last Winter. I did as Worth suggested and also dipped the end of the cuttings in rooting solution. I set four and three survived. For a novice, I consider my efforts to be successful. My friend said the grapes were of Concord origin grown in the mountains of N.C. In the southeast, we also grow several varieties of muscadines and scuppernong grapes. I saved seed from both varieties last Summer. Processed, dried and planted last Fall. These grapes are very hardy. Will be anxious to see if they develop later this year...
twillis2252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2017   #4
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Excellent. Thank you Worth and Twillis, I should be able to do it soon then. How fast did yours root?
KarenO
Old January 25, 2017   #5
twillis2252
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Excellent. Thank you Worth and Twillis, I should be able to do it soon then. How fast did yours root?
KarenO
Karen,
Planted mine last Spring early April Zone 6. By July had considerable new growth. Fertilized and had grown almost 4' by October when it went dormant. Good Luck!
twillis2252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2017   #6
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

I follow Lee Reich's blogs closely. Easy and informative read on fruit trees and their care. I bought several of his books.

A recent post on propagating figs. It sounds similar to above posts about propagating grapes. Take a look if interested, Karen, and good luck!

http://www.leereich.com/2017/01/gard...d-reality.html

Last edited by NewWestGardener; January 25, 2017 at 07:54 PM.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2017   #7
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWestGardener View Post
I follow Lee Reich's blogs closely. Easy and informative read on fruit trees and their care. I bought several of his books.

A recent post on propagating figs. It sounds similar to above posts about propagating grapes. Take a look if interested, Karen, and good luck!

http://www.leereich.com/2017/01/gard...d-reality.html
Thank you!