Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old October 18, 2009   #1
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Default MG Cactus, Palm & Citrus soil

Last spring I had germinated cactus seeds and was planning to transplant them at some point, so bought Miracle Gro Cactus, Palm & Citrus soil which was on sale for about $3.50 at the time. Well, the cactus never grew much in the seedling soil I had used so ended up throwing them out. They seemed to be dying off anyways.

Well, that brings me to about two months or so ago when I wanted to start dwarf project seeds, and only had that Cactus soil to use. Since it looks similar to seed starting soil I decided to give it a try, and let me tell you, the seedlings have done extremely well! Not only the project seeds but also another tomato variety I planted are growing well with very thick stems and the vegetation growth has been good and fast. I noticed it's on sale again for $3.97 and plan on buying another bag, despite the fact I still have 2/3 of a bag left.

Miracle Gro adds nutrients to that soil so I'm sure that's the reason. Plus the soil doesn't seem to dry out too fast, and despite my initial worries doesn't seem to stay too wet either.

Understand, the bulbs in my shoplights are 2 years old and need replacing so if anything the seedlings are getting far too little light. I'm absolutely amazed at how well the seedlings have done. And I've done nothing but add water when needed.

Wanted to post this because I've had such great results. If others believe it's a bad idea to use that mix, please post why. Thanks.

Just to note, this thread contradicts my other thread where I state I can't grow seedlings in my apartment. I seem to be ok this time of year doing so because I can keep the windows open, but in February & March I can't.

BTW, it's Home Depot where I found the MG Cactus, Palm, & Citrus mix for less than 4 bucks.

Jeff

Last edited by OmahaJB; December 4, 2009 at 08:56 PM.
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2009   #2
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

It is generally suggested that if one must use a Miracle Grow product to start your seeds, the cactus mix has a better NPK ratio.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2009   #3
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Thats kind of what I had guessed, that the Cactus mix has a better nutrient value. it sure has worked for me, Blueaussi! I had never seen it recommended before, at least here at TV. Maybe it has and I missed it. Regardless, for those like me who never would have thought to use it to start seeds, hope this thread helps.
Old January 18, 2010   #4
sfmathews
Tomatovillian™

Well, OJB, I am giving it a shot this year with the Cactus soil as well. Thanks for the heads up!
Susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaJB View Post
Last spring I had germinated cactus seeds and was planning to transplant them at some point, so bought Miracle Gro Cactus, Palm & Citrus soil which was on sale for about $3.50 at the time. Well, the cactus never grew much in the seedling soil I had used so ended up throwing them out. They seemed to be dying off anyways.

Well, that brings me to about two months or so ago when I wanted to start dwarf project seeds, and only had that Cactus soil to use. Since it looks similar to seed starting soil I decided to give it a try, and let me tell you, the seedlings have done extremely well! Not only the project seeds but also another tomato variety I planted are growing well with very thick stems and the vegetation growth has been good and fast. I noticed it's on sale again for $3.97 and plan on buying another bag, despite the fact I still have 2/3 of a bag left.

Miracle Gro adds nutrients to that soil so I'm sure that's the reason. Plus the soil doesn't seem to dry out too fast, and despite my initial worries doesn't seem to stay too wet either.

Understand, the bulbs in my shoplights are 2 years old and need replacing so if anything the seedlings are getting far too little light. I'm absolutely amazed at how well the seedlings have done. And I've done nothing but add water when needed.

Wanted to post this because I've had such great results. If others believe it's a bad idea to use that mix, please post why. Thanks.

Just to note, this thread contradicts my other thread where I state I can't grow seedlings in my apartment. I seem to be ok this time of year doing so because I can keep the windows open, but in February & March I can't.

BTW, it's Home Depot where I found the MG Cactus, Palm, & Citrus mix for less than 4 bucks.

Jeff
sfmathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2010   #5
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Susan,

Hope it works out well for you. Please post again once you know whether it's a thumb's up or a thumb's down. I bought a bag of it recently to start my seeds with. Expecting good results again. We'll see!
Old January 20, 2010   #6
sfmathews
Tomatovillian™

I have my hot and sweet peppers started in it, along with some eggplant.
If it does well, then I will need another bag to start the maters, which should be in a week. I think I paid like $3.95 at HD and it was the last bag they had. Hoping they've restocked since then.

Susan
Old January 20, 2010   #7
johno
Tomatovillian™

I've had really good luck with it, too.
Old March 1, 2010   #8
sfmathews
Tomatovillian™

I found my peppers did very well in this. My tomatoes are lagging behind, for some reason. Otherwise, very pleased with this for seed starting.
Old March 3, 2010   #9
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Glad you posted an update, Susan. I'm pretty sure your tomatoes will do fine in it, as that's what I grew that did so well and prompted this thread to begin with. If not though it would be good to know it isn't working out well for everybody.

I got a little bit of a late start with my peppers and eggplant. Just had my first sweet peppers break through the soil. Also started Genovese Basil and had more germinate than I was guessing I would, so will have at least 20 seedlings to transplant sooner or later.

The MG Cactus soil is nice to work with as it doesn't want to go flying out of the container when sprayed with water like regular seed starting soil often does.

I see the prices starting to go up for it again slightly. By spring it'll be $4.29 probably.