Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 27, 2018   #1846
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

50% probability of frost free after April 25 (at CHICAGO OHARE INTL AP, IL climate station).
Sounds like spring might be 20 days ahead this year.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2018   #1847
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

The forecast called for all kinds of rain and storms - it didn't, Right now, the windows are open and the front door. You never really know what the weather is going to be like here in February through May. The forecasts change hourly.

All I can do is let you know what the weather is like where I have lived for almost 53 years. When you all write about the cold, snow, and high winds - all I can do is imagine what it must be like, but I would be a fish out of water so-to-speak.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2018   #1848
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
When you all write about the cold, snow, and high winds - all I can do is imagine what it must be like, but I would be a fish out of water so-to-speak.
I've lived up north all my life, and I've never gotten used to the cold.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2018   #1849
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Another day starting out cool and then getting warm with sunshine. Ground drying out. Thinking a dry spring is ahead.
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2018   #1850
bower
Tomatovillian™

It snowed here for 20 hours or so, very close to freezing at the end so it is wet and heavy about 25 cm down. I'm half done my shoveling in 45 minutes, had to take a break. The meltwater is running off the black roof of the house so you know we are right around the zero mark and a glimmer of sun breaking through... Parka way too hot! I better finish up soon though, as the sogginess will get worse.

We have another 10 cm in the forecast tomorrow, so laziness is not an option. I have to think positive, it's a fitness opportunity, after all.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2018   #1851
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Supposed to get around 8" of snow in tomorrow's Nor-Easter, I heard up to 18" in the Adirondacks. Got to get on the road early tomorrow to get home before it gets started.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2018   #1852
bower
Tomatovillian™

How quickly things change...
All of a sudden pack ice is a factor in the weather. It's early, and the weather pattern shifted to NE, pushing the ice in to shore. Drizzle, fog, freezing drizzle, clammy drippy weather around freezing and whatever wind will be blowing off the ice. brrrrrr.
The ice maps for Feb 26 were clear water all around the island. March 1, different story.
Attached Images
File Type: png march1-packice.png (167.8 KB, 63 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2018   #1853
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Northeaster due.

Little greenhouse is weighted down with cement blocks and tied to fence. Im in shock, mentally winter was over, lol, but hey, this is New England !

Major coastal flooding. Schools closing, 35-60 mph winds, possible power outage ( of course).

Ducks will be happy! 2-4 inches rain then 1-4 inches snow. Typical New England. Typical Northeaster.
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2018   #1854
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Default The beast from the east

As I wrote in the "spring's here?" thread, Europe is experiencing "the beast from the east" freeze. Among other problems, it's snowed in Rome and the fountains are covered with ice. Much worse, there have been several cold-related deaths. Homes in the south are poorly insulated. Here, we've had record lows for March. Some places in central Norway have been under -40*F. Here it was -12*F this morning. The extended forecast is for more of the same.

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2018   #1855
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

we did not have any snow dforecasted yesterday morning. yesterday afternoon we had a winter weather advisory in effect for overnight and today. we had gusting up to 50mph winds and 4" of snow overnight. sheesh! not to mention it rained all day yesterday. so that made the snow very very VERY wet and heavy!
[ATTACH][ATTACH]IMG_20180302_081655.jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180302_081850.jpg (194.1 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180302_081704.jpg (174.4 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by clkeiper; March 2, 2018 at 08:49 AM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2018   #1856
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
Supposed to get around 8" of snow in tomorrow's Nor-Easter, I heard up to 18" in the Adirondacks. Got to get on the road early tomorrow to get home before it gets started.
They updated our forecast to 10 inches, but there is already 12+ inches and still coming down. It's supposed to start tapering off in the next hour, we'll see.
Old March 2, 2018   #1857
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Carolyn, that looks bone chilling cold. Burr
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2018   #1858
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

I can't believe what I'm reading -- the local utility company is reporting that more than 70,000 people are without power tonight in my area, and that today's Nor'easter was "one of the most damaging Mid-Hudson Valley storms in the last half century." My lights flickered a few times and tree branches are scattered all over the yard, but I didn't get more than 2" of snow and the roadbeds in my neighborhood are so warm from yesterday's 60-degree high that there's nothing to plow or shovel. People talk about micro-climates here a lot, but wow.
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2018   #1859
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonValley View Post
I can't believe what I'm reading -- the local utility company is reporting that more than 70,000 people are without power tonight in my area, and that today's Nor'easter was "one of the most damaging Mid-Hudson Valley storms in the last half century." My lights flickered a few times and tree branches are scattered all over the yard, but I didn't get more than 2" of snow and the roadbeds in my neighborhood are so warm from yesterday's 60-degree high that there's nothing to plow or shovel. People talk about micro-climates here a lot, but wow.
We have over 34,000 in our county out of power ... luckily no power outage (yet) ... underground utilities from the road, but never guaranteed that a tree doesn't fall down on wire before it comes to the property.
But hey ... I have VERIZON ... no cell service at all because a satellite came out of orbit apparently.
Old March 2, 2018   #1860
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
We have over 34,000 in our county out of power ... luckily no power outage (yet) ... underground utilities from the road, but never guaranteed that a tree doesn't fall down on wire before it comes to the property.
But hey ... I have VERIZON ... no cell service at all because a satellite came out of orbit apparently.
Widespread Verizon outages are being reported online; looks like PA is especially hard-hit. I hope your service is restored soon! Stay safe.

In my area, Canadian work crews are arriving from Quebec to work on the power lines. Looks like many customers are facing a multi-day outage.
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote