Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 21, 2017   #1
shule1

Default Live, dried seeds in oil

Some interesting thoughts came to mind that may or may not have merit. So, I was wondering the following:

1. Can previously dried, live seeds survive for long periods in oil? If so, this may be particularly nice, since oil has antimicrobial properties. Even if it only keeps for a few weeks or months, it might work toward removing diseases from seeds during that time.
2. Is the answer the same for rancid oil?
3. I'm wondering if seeds might stay dormant and alive in salt water (extremely salty water) for a few days or longer (long enough for the salt to permeate the seed and maybe help to remove any diseases in it), and if rinsed if it will still sprout.
4. I also wonder if a ripe tomato would stay good longer in salt water, or if it would absorb too much water/salt and turn to something super soft that falls apart.

It seems like these are easily testable ideas, but it seems likely that they might kill the seeds, too (I just don't know for sure).

The oil probably brings a lot of stuff out of the seeds and into the oil, though, but I'm not sure if it brings anything out that is essential for the seed's life (or brings anything in that would kill it).
Old April 21, 2017   #2
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

Seeds need oxygen since they are living things,so I would say no.
Short term-possibly.
I was thinking of the sun dried tomatoes from italy in oil,to see if they would sprout.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disease , seed saving , seeds