Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 21, 2021   #1
deep_roots
Tomatovillian™

Default AutoPot XL Grow System

Getting ready for growing some tomatoes, and wanted to share this system that I got from AutoPot, the XL version. The pots are 6.5 gallons and bottom wicking nutrient from a 12 gallon reservoir. I was not sure how well it would work, so I stress tested it using a heavy feeding zucchini plant and was surprised at both the vigor and longevity of the grow. This setup should do quite well for my upcoming tomato plants.

https://youtu.be/61OSzl4T39w
deep_roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2021   #2
littleukgarden
Tomatovillian™

Looks like a similar set up to the Quadgrow system that I used first time last year in what I call my pop up greenhouse, got some pretty decent results, again, bottom watered/fed through a reservoir with a capillary matting wick that sucks up the water/nutrients, mine was set up for 8 plants, plan to use it all again this season but may move it into glass greenhouse, undecided yet! It may just stay in the pop up! But a great system! Takes the stress out of watering! (For those 8 at least!) Not a trace of BER on any fruits - that being said I only had one tomato fruit all season that had BER the plant it was on had no other fruits turn so I think I was lucky to catch it when I did!
Looks like a great haul of zucchini though!
littleukgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2021   #3
deep_roots
Tomatovillian™

Appreciate hearing your results, I have been fascinated by the Quadgrow setups over the past several years. Would love to put one of the 8 site models in my office, but realize my limits with my employer. haha
deep_roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2021   #4
littleukgarden
Tomatovillian™

Haha! Yes that might be a bit much to ask your employer! But then again you don’t know if you don’t suggest! Offer free fruit/veg and who knows! I’d have no chance where I work! (Fashion retail!) it was a good investment I feel - but still have tons growing in containers/growbags around the garden! Wish I was able to try in the ground but limited with border space - taken up by one too many dahlias/lilies/roses! Haha!
littleukgarden is offline   Reply With Quote