Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 13, 2020   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Micro Move

The micro tomatoes have outgrown the lights on the plant stand. I switched out the light fixture over the new table setup from an old T-12 to one of my newer T-8's.

There are two kinds of tubes in the fixture. One is 3000k and the other one is 6500k "bright daylight", supposedly to give a wider range of light spectrum or so the theory goes. It's something I read about and have been using the past two years. The plants seem to grow a bit faster than under the old same-same tubes but the plants do tend to lean a little towards the brighter tube so I turn them around every day.

Lots of blooms coming on! The first photo is Red Robin and the second is Lille Lise:

Playing pollinator, I've picked a flower and rubbed it on the others, dabbed flowers on the same plant with a stripped down q-tip and also buzzed blooms and fat buds with the cheap electric toothbrush. Hopefully there will be some fruit setting. The plants spent their first day outside yesterday getting a little real sun as the temp was 69 all afternoon but I brought them back in for the night.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2020   #2
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Cottage Cheese (32-oz) containers, or ?.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2020   #3
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Right now they are in 24 oz cottage cheese containers with holes drilled in the bottoms. When the roots fill those they'll move to one gallon pots. If it were summer I'd probably put them in a 2 gallon container on the porch but for indoors this winter, one gallons are all I have room for!

Last edited by GoDawgs; December 13, 2020 at 12:20 PM.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote