Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old January 9, 2021   #1
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Default Seeking cold frame

A gardener from Sweden , sarabackmo.com has a video on growing winter spinach on her website.

I have never seen anything like her cold frame sold on the big US websites. Wondering if someone has spotted these, or can translate if she mentions anything relative to the manufacturer.

She has a few super cute videos on other plant topics too. I hope to view later.

Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2021   #2
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

I don't find a cold frame. Do you have a link? I see a raised bed and a homemade green house/sun room and a poly hoop-house.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2021   #3
ponyexpress
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
I don't find a cold frame. Do you have a link? I see a raised bed and a homemade green house/sun room and a poly hoop-house.
You have to hunt around in her video collection. I think it’s this one:

https://youtu.be/BQy0MGXVfTI
ponyexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2021   #4
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the link to that page. The snails ate all the seedlings of wintering salads for me. I have half the tunnel empty. When I go to the garden, I will sow new salads on the frozen ground. It will be an interesting experiment for me.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2021   #5
ponyexpress
Tomatovillian™

I posted on her FB page to find out where she buys these plastic frames. They do look interesting. Maybe I can reach out to Greenhouse Megastore to offer them

Last edited by ponyexpress; January 14, 2021 at 06:58 AM.
Old January 14, 2021   #6
Lasairfion
Tomatovillian™

Default Voila

They don't come cheap, but you can find them here:

https://www.harrodhorticultural.com/...s-pid7957.html
Lasairfion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2021   #7
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

They look nice, but protect against weather conditions (probably from wind, hail, etc.) and pests. Probably not before freezing, it would have to be made of glass or polycarbonate.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2021   #8
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

What about clear storage bins of suitable sizes? It can offer similar protection.

You can cut an opening on the bottom, flip it over and use the lids as a cover if you want to.
They may not have UV protection, but you can easily use them for a few years.

https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Stora...0649487&sr=8-3
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2021   #9
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyexpress View Post
You have to hunt around in her video collection. I think it’s this one:

https://youtu.be/BQy0MGXVfTI
Thanks! Those are interesting.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2021   #10
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Great detective work! Yes, that is the the video.
Nice and easy to move, and has a tie down feature. I would pay the price if it were local, but not international shipping.
I clicked on the link for the manufacturer, accepted cookies, but couldn't get past "Welcome International Customers".
Greenhouse Megastore, Johnnys (being in Maine) hope someone signs on to sell. They did look a bit like totes, but more like a mini igloo to me.

Lisa

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; January 15, 2021 at 06:43 AM.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2021   #11
ponyexpress
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Great detective work! Yes, that is the the video.
Nice and easy to move, and has a tie down feature. I would pay the price if it were local, but not international shipping.
I clicked on the link for the manufacturer, accepted cookies, but couldn't get past "Welcome International Customers".
Greenhouse Megastore, Johnnys (being in Maine) hope someone signs on to sell. They did look a bit like totes, but more like a mini igloo to me.

Lisa
I sent an email to Greenhouse Megastore. I encourage you to do the same and other suppliers that you use.
Old January 24, 2021   #12
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

I have clear plastic, 6ft wide and about 1 mil, with holes for venting every foot. I've been wanting to start early stuff with that over hoops, but watering is the big issue. Even when it rains, it won't really get wet under there. Gravity drip would be a pain and mess with it freezing overnight. I don't see a way to really do it without a full on cold frame that could be tilted back to water easily...and even then, the outdoor spigots are turned off for the winter.

So I really like how those little bins in the video funnel the water where it is needed, and I do think it fairly simple to modify generic bins with a heat gun and drill. If needed it would be easy enough to fill a bucket inside and just pour it on top for the channels to drip water down.

To make the rain catchers up top, use a heat gun on the flat bottom of a clear tote and press it down into channels. Maybe a board on edge under it to keep the center up while molding with heat. Then drill holes for the drip effect. And drilling holes on the rims is easy enough for the stake holders.

Granted, I haven't tried it, but it seems easy enough.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2021   #13
Lasairfion
Tomatovillian™

Cheaper here at Dobies - you'd have to ask if they'd ship abroad since they're really big parcels.

https://www.dobies.co.uk/garden-equi...cloches_mh1049
Lasairfion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2021   #14
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

cloches, never heard that term. French for bell shaped? That term seems to be key to finding these items on a search engine. Yep, always learning here.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote