Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 16, 2020   #61
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan HP View Post
A contribution from another continent.

A question: Has anyone here grown Galahad F1 or Defiant PhR F1? Can you give me any references? Thanks.

Milan HP
I've grown both -2nd season for both although Galahad had just been released last year so it was hot when it was planted out.

Galahad has bigger tomatoes but doesn't like it really hot. I live in a hot/humid climate. Both are fine with humidity and continue to produce all season. Neither are short; Galahad I had to add an cage extension; so 6'.

Galahad gets the edge from me.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2020   #62
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Gems - PPP - Pale Perfect Purple. Not huge by any means, but lots of dark tomatoes that don't split in my hot / humid climate. If you live in an area where cracking / splitting is a major problem, I would try these. They really are perfect shaped.

Red Lithium - This is another large producer although I do have cracking on the top. No gnarly bottoms though.
Old December 16, 2020   #63
littleukgarden
Tomatovillian™

Another input from another continent!

For me, this year Sungold - exceptionally good fruit set and flavour, bursts of sheer deliciousness!
Hawaiian Pineapple seemed to do ok here, not a huge amount of fruit set but did get a whopper from a megabloom ����
Another gem for me here was an F1 variety called Gourmandia oxheart beefsteak type - had regular supply of 7-10oz fruits made a good slicer

Duds for me
Thai Pink Egg - abundant with production - but very “meh” bland and just not a nice eat
Big Girl - produced nothing on the one plant I had? Same conditions as some of my best and treated no differently so was a bit of head scratcher on that one - no idea what happened
Country Taste F1 - big consistent fruits just very bland
littleukgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2020   #64
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
I've grown both -2nd season for both although Galahad had just been released last year so it was hot when it was planted out.

Galahad has bigger tomatoes but doesn't like it really hot. I live in a hot/humid climate. Both are fine with humidity and continue to produce all season. Neither are short; Galahad I had to add an cage extension; so 6'.

Galahad gets the edge from me.
Thanks.

I don't think there will be a problem with heat here, so it's ok. Just a bit shocked at its 6 feet. That's more like indeterminate. I'm mainly interested in its late blight resistance.
On a scale 0 - 10, where would you put them tastewise?

Milan HP
Milan HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2020   #65
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thanks.

I don't think there will be a problem with heat here, so it's ok. Just a bit shocked at its 6 feet. That's more like indeterminate. I'm mainly interested in its late blight resistance.
On a scale 0 - 10, where would you put them tastewise?

Milan HP
Probably an 8. Definitely worth growing ; Hopefully Greatgardens will chime in; it was his favorite large.

19-20 season the only tomato over 9 was GGWT, 18-19 season Polish was a 10 but did not taste that good in 19-20 (when I grew a bunch of them), years prior to that I loved Kelloggs Breakfast.

It may be tall b/c I have such a long season and we have low light conditions in Dec/January and then it starts getting better.

I'm growing Black Seaman (another determinate) and they both are about 6' too.

The only determinate that stayed short (3') for me was Mountain Fresh Plus.
Old December 18, 2020   #66
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

2020 Gems

Anahu
Kenneth's Piennolo
Mary Reynolds
Midnight Sun
Taiga

Last edited by Fred Hempel; December 18, 2020 at 02:46 PM.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2020   #67
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Galahad... One of the best flavored tomatoes I've ever grown. For fans of tart tomatoes, you probably won't be thrilled. Mild and sweet, even when not fully ripe. I planted mine in a 10-gallon grow bag, so that may have affected the size, but mine was only 4 ft. I also planted it later in the season, so the hours of light were less. It did have a spate of BER with the early fruit. Did not crack or split -- really good looking fruit. Good yielder, but still did not approach the production of Stellar F1. But Galahad's flavor is massively better. For me, this is a great tomato.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2020   #68
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
Galahad... One of the best flavored tomatoes I've ever grown. For fans of tart tomatoes, you probably won't be thrilled. Mild and sweet, even when not fully ripe. I planted mine in a 10-gallon grow bag, so that may have affected the size, but mine was only 4 ft. I also planted it later in the season, so the hours of light were less. It did have a spate of BER with the early fruit. Did not crack or split -- really good looking fruit. Good yielder, but still did not approach the production of Stellar F1. But Galahad's flavor is massively better. For me, this is a great tomato.
Very interesting.
Old December 22, 2020   #69
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thanks for cheering me up. Now I have very strong motivation to grow them even though I am not the greatest fan of beef tomatoes in the world.
Old December 22, 2020   #70
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thanks for cheering me up. Now I have very strong motivation to grow them even though I am not the greatest fan of beef tomatoes in the world.

Great that it cheered you up. I would add one thing. I would make sure to have enough calcium to mitigate BER. If Galahad has a weakness, I think it is more susceptible to BER. If growing in garden soil rather than a container, it may not be much of an issue. Most of Galahad fruits were 8-10 oz. I wish they were a little smaller, but maybe someday I'll find that elusive "perfect tomato!"
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2020   #71
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Great that it cheered you up. I would add one thing. I would make sure to have enough calcium to mitigate BER. If Galahad has a weakness, I think it is more susceptible to BER. If growing in garden soil rather than a container, it may not be much of an issue. Most of Galahad fruits were 8-10 oz. I wish they were a little smaller, but maybe someday I'll find that elusive "perfect tomato!"
Greatgardens, If you are looking for something tasty and compact with perfect saladette-sized red orbs, might I suggest Bulgarian Triumph? It's one of my favourites.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2020   #72
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Greatgardens, If you are looking for something tasty and compact with perfect saladette-sized red orbs, might I suggest Bulgarian Triumph? It's one of my favourites.

Linda
Hello Linda.
Is Triumph an old variety? I have a memory of excellent tomatoes that were probably imported from Bulgaria. At that time, I was just a teenager, I wasn't really interested much in information about what I ate. And now that tomatoes have become half of my life, I'd like to find out what variety it was. A bit too late, but I keep hoping.
Thank you.
Old December 25, 2020   #73
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
That probably won't be a problem in my garden as the substrate is yellow alkaline clay with plenty accessible calcium. But I'll bear it in mind and provide some more just to be on the safe side. Thank you for the warning.
Old December 25, 2020   #74
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Milan HP,

Bulgarian Triumph is an old variety. Certainly worth growing!

Here's a link: http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Bulgarian_Triumph

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2020   #75
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, Linda.
Unfortunately it isn't probably the variety I used to love in the 60s. That one had larger fruits and must have been registered perhaps in the 1950s. Maybe even earlier. I am also aware of the fact that my memory is selective and whatever I remember from my youth may be tinged rosy or some other optimistic color. :-)
Anyway, I'll try it. My next year plan is already too ambitious as it is, but 2022 is still open.

Milan HP