Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 20, 2021   #1
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

Default Newbie container attempt

Gonna try 2 GGWTs in 20 gal container of coir, Black Kow or Mushroom compost plus perlite. Bought the 3 goodies for the 4-18-38 fert. What is your fav ratio of compost to filler? Tatiana says 50-50 buy I see a lot of 33-33-33 recomendations. I have 72 seedlings doing OK under shop lights for my side yard garden but I would really like to get handle on the container stuff. My back isnt getting any younger.
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2021   #2
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpinks View Post
Gonna try 2 GGWTs in 20 gal container of coir, Black Kow or Mushroom compost plus perlite. Bought the 3 goodies for the 4-18-38 fert. What is your fav ratio of compost to filler? Tatiana says 50-50 buy I see a lot of 33-33-33 recomendations. I have 72 seedlings doing OK under shop lights for my side yard garden but I would really like to get handle on the container stuff. My back isnt getting any younger.
I would be careful concerning adding stuff to your media if you are using that fertilizer program. The fertilizer is tailored for the crop, and the mix runs at the upper echelon of plant needs and is balanced between elements.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2021   #3
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

For container growing you want good drainage with proper aeration. Black Cow/mushroom compost is not a good choice to achieve this needed aeration. I have used a ratio of ProMix, Bark fines, and Perlite in a 3:2:1 ratio which is optimal in a self-watering container setup. Been working great for the past 10 years.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2021   #4
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

Default Compost

What is a good compost to use with the coir? Have to be able to find it at Menards, Walmart, Lowes or Home Depot. Dont have any on hand.
Old April 20, 2021   #5
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

Default Media

So what media works well with the Master Blend Fertilizer?
Old April 20, 2021   #6
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

I use ProMix bx and it works very well for me in grow bags. However I have to monitor the moisture levels daily and in July & August they get fed with Masterblend (watered) twice a day. Grow bags dry out easier than clay pots or plastic containers though.

Last edited by Yak54; April 20, 2021 at 05:24 PM. Reason: more information & spelling
Yak54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2021   #7
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

Default 4-18-38

Thanks. I get that I was mixing two diff grow medium ideas. I might try MG Potting Soil(because I already have a 2 cu ft bag) with xtra perlite and a cup of 5-10-10 granular fert in one container and the Pro Mix and the Master Blend in the other. Do I want the HP Pro Mix ?
Old April 20, 2021   #8
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

ProMix BX https://www.pthorticulture.com/en/pr...x-mycorrhizae/ general purpose.
Yak54 is offline   Reply With Quote