Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old July 31, 2007   #1
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

Default Lemon, Chinese Yellow and others...

Thought I'd share my cuke report so far:

I tried a few new cukes this year... two of which were Lemon and Chinese Yellow...and I have to admit that I won't bring them back. The Lemon cukes grew like crazy, but I did not find the flavor all that great. Plus...I found that if you do not pick them early...they get really woody taste.

Chinese Yellow develops a pretty firm texture...but it develops such a large seed cavity...that you are not left with much to eat. I really preferred the Poon Kheera I grew last year.

Can't say I have been really impressed with Sweet Success...I have it trellised and it does not seem to want to produce straight fruit. Many have been curved and deformed...maybe due to watering schedule? It has a good taste...but nothing impressive.

Marketmore 76 is doing very well this year...just a good all around slicer.

Have two County Fair plants and they don't want to produce many fruit...maybe 3-4 so far. Will give it more time before I pass judgement. Okay flavor.

I am definitely going to try Diva next year...purchased one from a local organic farm and really liked it. Will bring back Poona Kheera and will have to spend the winter picking out some new ones to try.
Old July 31, 2007   #2
duajones
Tomatovillian™

If you like Poona Kheera, you might give Boothby's Blonde a try. It was very prolific this spring in my garden. Diva is definitely a winner and will be a staple in my garden for years to come. County Fair is doing real well for me now as I have picked 30 plus fruits in the last week, 9 yesterday alone. Decent flavor and a good pickling cuke. And I feel the same about Lemon, probably wont grow it again.
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2007   #3
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

I tried Boothby's Blonde for a couple of years...I liked it...but again...you had to pick them early to limit the seed cavity development.

I wanted to try County Fair as I lost most of my cukes mid season last year to bacterial wilt. So far...no problems with what I have growing.
Old July 31, 2007   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Lemon is growing well for me in an area that no plant should have.
And I like it.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2007   #5
Adenn1
Tomatovillian™

Worth:

I do agree that Lemon is a robust and vigourous grower...my three plants went straight up my 6' trellis and then came back down. Has had really no problems with any disease.