Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 13, 2017   #691
b54red
Tomatovillian™

We are certainly getting a break from the heat for the past couple of weeks with intermittent showers almost daily and super high humidity. We have seen few days above 90 in that time and it is forecast to be like that for the next 10 days or so. The downside is these conditions are for the spread of diseases and pest explosions. I am also dealing with a lot of split fruit from just a bit too much rain and intense enough sun between showers to make the skins tougher and more prone to splitting.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2017   #692
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Just hit 95 in NY. (85 in Miami where my sister lives)
Trying to run my drip lines, blinded from the sweat, feels kinda good.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2017   #693
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

94 degrees and 58% humidity. It's hot out there but the lower humidity made it bearable to walk around the garden and gather some basil, cucumbers and tomatoes.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2017   #694
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

Perfect tomato weather in southern Ohio.....high 80s with enough rain. Got early blight on about a third of my plants at the very bottom but they were set out Apr 30 and have on avg 6 fruit some as big as tennis balls. I have 97 plants and 9 diff cultivars.
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2017   #695
bower
Tomatovillian™

We have a couple of cool days coming up but otherwise seem to be around seasonal or warmer in recent days with highs in the 60's F. We've had lots of sunshine and this has been great for tomatoes in the greenhouse. Very little rain so none of the damp humid and dark related issues are seriously in play. Mites or similar less visible pests seem to like the heat and dryness and affecting some leaves, but easy to stay ahead of them since the plants are still small. Big bloom of tiny spiders just happened, I know they eat the little pests.
In other pests, blackflies have been terrible this past week, in spite of high winds they've still been trying to pitch on you in droves whether it's gusting 80 kph. They're only bad for a couple of weeks here every year but in their season, they rule.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2017   #696
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Just walked out to the garden in the rain which has been falling all day to check the rain gauge. So far today 3 1/2 inches and it is still raining. I guess a lot of tomatoes will be going to the compost bin in the next few days.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2017   #697
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It's only 92 out, but our dew point was 73 this morning. You walk outside and instantly start sweating. If you stay out for 15 minutes - your shirt is soaked in sweat.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2017   #698
Country Breeze
Tomatovillian™

5 days above 90, almost 100 today, and not had to water once. The soil is still moist and clumpy an inch under the the landscape fabric from all the rain. I might run the irrigation for a little bit tonight just to freshen things up.

Thankfully the maters and peppers are finally growing.
Country Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2017   #699
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

b54, hope you don't loose much! Here in Brownsburg, had .08" in last 2 1/2 weeks - I guess that's why it's called Brownsburg - the towns 20 miles south called like Greensburg, Green Castle, Greenwood, Greenville seem as if they get more rain on a regular basis looking at radar. Towns were named for a reason yrs ago?? - hope I am wrong! Don't like dragging hoses around, am new at this, have 100 plants in the ground and have not got a drip system yet

Last edited by tryno12; June 13, 2017 at 11:56 PM. Reason: incomplete
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2017   #700
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Issuing Office: Corpus Christi

Source: National.Weather.Service

5:42am CDT, Thu Jun 15
... HEAT INDICES BETWEEN 105 AND 109 DEGREES ARE EXPECTED TODAY... THE COMBINATION OF WARM TEMPERATURES AND HIGH DEWPOINTS WILL PRODUCE HEAT INDICES BETWEEN 105 AND 109 DEGREES TODAY. RESIDENTS WITH OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES PLANNED ARE URGED TO DRINK PLENTY OF WATER, WEAR LIGHT WEIGHT AND LIGHT COLORED CLOTHING AND TAKE FREQUENT BREAKS FROM THE HEAT. YOUNG CHILDREN AND PETS SHOULD NEVER BE LEFT UNATTENDED IN VEHICLES UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. THIS IS ESPECIALLY TRUE DURING WARM OR HOT WEATHER WHEN CAR INTERIORS CAN REACH LETHAL TEMPERATURES IN A MATTER OF MINUTES.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old June 15, 2017   #701
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
Issuing Office: Corpus Christi

Source: National.Weather.Service

5:42am CDT, Thu Jun 15
... HEAT INDICES BETWEEN 105 AND 109 DEGREES ARE EXPECTED TODAY... THE COMBINATION OF WARM TEMPERATURES AND HIGH DEWPOINTS WILL PRODUCE HEAT INDICES BETWEEN 105 AND 109 DEGREES TODAY. RESIDENTS WITH OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES PLANNED ARE URGED TO DRINK PLENTY OF WATER, WEAR LIGHT WEIGHT AND LIGHT COLORED CLOTHING AND TAKE FREQUENT BREAKS FROM THE HEAT. YOUNG CHILDREN AND PETS SHOULD NEVER BE LEFT UNATTENDED IN VEHICLES UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. THIS IS ESPECIALLY TRUE DURING WARM OR HOT WEATHER WHEN CAR INTERIORS CAN REACH LETHAL TEMPERATURES IN A MATTER OF MINUTES.

just had a 5 y.o. boy die in daycare van in W. Memphis. he was left for 8 hours and it was only 90 degrees.

actually just hit 90 yest., which is the 6th latest day to reach 90 since record keeping (1800's).

WEST MEMPHIS, Ark. (AP) — Police say a 5-year-old boy died after he was left in a day care vehicle all day in eastern Arkansas.
The West Memphis Police Department says the boy was picked up by the day care at 6:40 a.m. Monday but was never taken inside Ascent Children's Health Services, which serves children with development disabilities. Police tell Memphis, Tennessee, television station WMC (http://bit.ly/2sXmaXn ) that the boy was found dead, still strapped in a booster seat, more than eight hours later when staff members prepared to load the van for children to go home.

The boy's cause of death hasn't been released but the heat index neared 100 degrees Monday afternoon in West Memphis.

The Arkansas Department of Human Services says an investigation into the facility is underway.****

Last edited by My Foot Smells; June 15, 2017 at 10:40 AM.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2017   #702
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Foot Smells View Post
just had a 5 y.o. boy die in daycare van in W. Memphis. he was left for 8 hours and it was only 90 degrees.

actually just hit 90 yest., which is the 6th latest day to reach 90 since record keeping (1800's).

OMG, how do they forget they have children in those vans? I just don't understand the negligence it takes to do something like that. May he rest in peace.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old June 15, 2017   #703
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Very
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2017   #704
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

high 70s here with rain several days in a row. i worked in the garden awhile today, still need to get a lot of it in. a storm came in off of the big lake. thunder, lightening, hail, high winds, and boy did it pour. all cleared up now, and nice and sunshiny, big white puffy clouds. i just can't get into the garden the rest of the day. we had a similar storm a few days ago. ugly for awhile and then gone.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2017   #705
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Today we got some rain ( mini thunderstorm ) Got little over 1/2" But it is still drizzling. More of the same for the next few days. But with thunderstorms you cannot count on them.
As far as temperatures, the highs have been in mid 90s for days. But low humidity makes it bearable.
Anyway. It was some relief . No watering tomorrow . My water bill has been too high already. Thinking about digging a shallow well. We have high water table. (maybe under 10 ft )

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote