Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 5, 2016   #1471
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Ginny, grow both. More salsa, sauce and dry tomatoes.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”

Last edited by efisakov; August 5, 2016 at 08:52 PM.
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2016   #1472
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Ok I'm going to start some San Marzano Redorta seeds tomorrow. I dont have San Marzano seeds saved yet but do have the Redorta.

Marsha, what is your food mill brand and do you like it?

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2016   #1473
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Ok I'm going to start some San Marzano Redorta seeds tomorrow. I dont have San Marzano seeds saved yet but do have the Redorta.

Marsha, what is your food mill brand and do you like it?

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Ginny there's a photo of it in post 1181 of this thread. I got it at a dept. Store, nothing special, they all work. I love it because I can just throw the stuff into th sauce without having to first boil for a minute and skin the tomatoes. 2 large ladels full, and 4-5 cranks and they are processed through.
Just continue reading those few posts with me and Kay. It is explained.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2016   #1474
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Ok cool. Found the post. I wasnt sure if there was a specific type to get. But good to know the inexpensive ones work. I was showing my husband pictures and he said oh there's one of those in the kitchen. I asked where? So he went and pulled it out of the back of the pots and pans cabinet. Going to try it out tomorrow.

Thanks
Ginny

Last edited by Fiishergurl; August 6, 2016 at 05:45 AM.
Old August 9, 2016   #1475
spyfferoni
Tomatovillian™

Hi, I thought I would post here. I moved to Puerto Rico after gardening in Utah for 17 years. I thought that maybe Florida and Puerto Rico have similar issues. I would like to try growing some tomatoes and peppers here. I am not sure what other vegetables would do well. I'm sure I will be dealing with funguses, viruses, bugs, and etc I never had to worry about in dry Utah.
spyfferoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2016   #1476
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default Bump for Free Swap

A reminder, our Florida TAG tomato, vegetable and ornamental free swap will take place on October 15, a Saturday from 1-5.

Details here: http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...163#post578163
Old August 9, 2016   #1477
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyfferoni View Post
Hi, I thought I would post here. I moved to Puerto Rico after gardening in Utah for 17 years. I thought that maybe Florida and Puerto Rico have similar issues. I would like to try growing some tomatoes and peppers here. I am not sure what other vegetables would do well. I'm sure I will be dealing with funguses, viruses, bugs, and etc I never had to worry about in dry Utah.
Welcome to the Florida thread. I have learned so much here. Do you have good soil or are you thinking about growing in pots? I live on the intracoastal on land that was created via dredging the canal 100 years ago so it is all crushed seashells so I grow mostly in pots.

I think your environment should be similar to South Florida so you should be in the right place... :-)

Welcome again!

Ginny
Old August 9, 2016   #1478
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
A reminder, our Florida TAG tomato, vegetable and ornamental free swap will take place on October 15, a Saturday from 1-5.

Details here: http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...163#post578163
Hopefully it will be as successful as last year! Are you expecting an even larger crowd than last year?

Ginny
Old August 9, 2016   #1479
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Welcome,
I think your gardening season in Puerto Rico will be fairly similar to South Florida zone 10b. However, the issues of heat and disease stress will be similar to much of Florida, even zone 9b where I am. Many here, on this thread, grow heirloom varieties of Tomatoes and Peppers with very good success. I personally trend toward hybrids with significant disease resistance and plant vigor.
Good Luck,
Larry

Last edited by Zone9b; August 9, 2016 at 11:10 AM.
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2016   #1480
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

My cucumber plants here in Philly are doing better now. They are planted in the ground and growing along a chain link fence. It hasnt been as hot and I started watering them a little more regularly. In the past I was watering them when I watered the tomato plants which wasnt that often, plus as Ella mentioned there were a lot of days in the 90s here in July.

Has anyone grown cucumber plants in the ground in Florida? There is a chain link fence at home and I bought some rabbit manure a couple of winters ago that I never used (100 pounds for 6 dollars) so I dumped that along the fence line a while back along with some soil from pots with the plan to try and plant some vining type of plant there this fall. Cucumbers or peas maybe.

Ginny
Old August 9, 2016   #1481
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Hopefully it will be as successful as last year! Are you expecting an even larger crowd than last year?

Ginny
Not necessarily..... I haven't gotten a lot of answers yet, but people always wait until the last minute.
Old August 9, 2016   #1482
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
The climate is kind of similar, but for it to get cool enough, you have to go up. Where in Puerto Rico? I spent a week there in 2001 for my honeymoon. I loved it.
Old August 9, 2016   #1483
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
The climate is kind of similar, but for it to get cool enough, you have to go up. Where in Puerto Rico? I spent a week there in 2001 for my honeymoon. I loved it.
Is there a 15 years anniversary soon? Congrats.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2016   #1484
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Is there a 15 years anniversary soon? Congrats.
Thank you. it was January.
Old August 9, 2016   #1485
Don_Saunders
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Heres the fruit set Im going for... lol. Just kidding. This is a hydroponic, hermetically sealed, climate controlled, gas controlled, greenhouse operation over seas some where. (Not really hermetically sealed... just made that up for effect).

Ginny
I glanced down and nearly dropped my phone. Wouldn't that be a nice set-up for my backyard! Thanks for the shock!
Don_Saunders is offline   Reply With Quote