Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 21, 2016   #2401
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Need to remember to stagger the sowing even more next August. I will probably be whining in a couple months because I have very few flowers / fruit being set. Well except SunGold - that has not stopped pumping out tomatoes.

I did sow a few seeds for the spring season.

----
Marsha - Thanks for the link. Just to verify - it is model: 2900ECB ?
Do you use the dehydrator sheets? I know nothing about dehydrators.

https://www.amazon.com/Excalibur-290...et_feature_div
Barb, mine is a model 3500T. 440 watts. But any of their 9 tray with fan models will delight you in how they work. The electric cost is about 5 cents per hour. When your mango tree gets bigger,you are going to be do glad you have it.
I mostly use the sheets that came with the trays, but I bought some of the silicon sheets for when I want to make a fruit leather, I found it helps so much to put a little spritz of Pam spray, rub it around then wipe off the excess before I put my food on a tray to dehydrate. No more sticking.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2016   #2402
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I was on Highmowing seeds today to order the Sunrise Bumblebee seeds. They were sold out last year and I wanted to try it since Pink Bumblebee does so well for me. I noticed ICD seeds were already sold out. I am glad more people are trying this great cherry and even more glad that I saved seeds for that one.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2016   #2403
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

For some reason I'm not getting emails anout this thread anymore so was wondering why it was so quiet. Also my Tapatalk App updated on my phone and the new version is strange... lol.

Barb, I have a dehydrator but it's in storage and I dont know what kind it is. It has the plastic white trays and came from walmart. I need to get it out and try dehydrating some tomatoes. I am not inundated with tomatoes. I only have 12 plants and about 100 neighbors... lol.

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2016   #2404
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
For some reason I'm not getting emails anout this thread anymore so was wondering why it was so quiet. Also my Tapatalk App updated on my phone and the new version is strange... lol.

Barb, I have a dehydrator but it's in storage and I dont know what kind it is. It has the plastic white trays and came from walmart. I need to get it out and try dehydrating some tomatoes. I am not inundated with tomatoes. I only have 12 plants and about 100 neighbors... lol.

Ginny
I need more neighbors. I am almost to the point of overwhelmed. Almost.
Old December 22, 2016   #2405
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

Yeah! Neighbor...same here. Picking 10 to 12 tomatoes every day and making sauces and stewed tomatoes. Would rather have it this way than disaster like last season. I have 10 different tomato seeds fermenting also at the moment so will have lots of seeds.
Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2016   #2406
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenboy View Post
Yeah! Neighbor...same here. Picking 10 to 12 tomatoes every day and making sauces and stewed tomatoes. Would rather have it this way than disaster like last season. I have 10 different tomato seeds fermenting also at the moment so will have lots of seeds.
I feel the same. Only 10 seed cups? Try 67!
Old December 22, 2016   #2407
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

So many people are going to be happy to get these seeds. Thank you for doing that. You can complain all you want about having many tomatoes, we want you to have them.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2016   #2408
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

Wow! no room for 67 seed cups..I do 10 at a time.
Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2016   #2409
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenboy View Post
Wow! no room for 67 seed cups..I do 10 at a time.
Yeah, that is a more sane way. They are all over my patio.
Old December 22, 2016   #2410
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Kay if you need Sunrise Bumblebee seeds let me know, I saved plenty in 2016. We really enjoyed them, but liked Blush just a touch better so we're growing Blush again in 2017. Love your FL thread guys! Keep it up!
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2016   #2411
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the offer Jim but I have already ordered them. Of course you made me go look up Blush. I over looked that when I was looking at Baker Creek. It is a pretty tomato.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2016   #2412
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Default Brocolli for Christmas

Larry - First of all, thank you for detailing how you grow broccoli. My first broccoli has been growing a lot and should be ready to pick by Christmas. I also have more heads in the same EB, and saw multiple heads forming in the first raised bed. I am so ahead of last year with the broccoli when the first head didn't form until January.

I planted a new bed yesterday, and still have 6 more broccoli seedlings to plant. I sowed more seeds last night too. Castle Dome rocks!!!

pic of my plants in the backyard (not on Pool Deck) - I really should clean up the hoses. No wonder I fell and broke my wrist last year.

Pic of a tomato box we gave to my DH friend that loved the tomatoes we gave him earlier in the week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FirstBroc of the year.jpg (348.6 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg BrocolliBeds.jpg (594.0 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg NewBrocolliBeds.jpg (655.8 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg BackyardPics.jpg (677.5 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg tomatobox.jpg (329.6 KB, 75 views)
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2016   #2413
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

How awesome to receive a tomato box like that! What are the smaller yellows in the back?
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2016   #2414
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Larry - First of all, thank you for detailing how you grow broccoli. My first broccoli has been growing a lot and should be ready to pick by Christmas. I also have more heads in the same EB, and saw multiple heads forming in the first raised bed. I am so ahead of last year with the broccoli when the first head didn't form until January.
I planted a new bed yesterday, and still have 6 more broccoli seedlings to plant. I sowed more seeds last night too. Castle Dome rocks!!!
Barb,
Like your pictures a lot. Your Broccoli is looking great. I’ve given quite a bit of Broccoli to friends and I get good comments back on the taste of Castle Dome.
We harvested the last of our 2nd crop of broccoli in the same RB yesterday, at 56 days from transplant. The 3rd crop in this bed was transplanted into the bed this morning. Hope to have this 3rd crop harvested no later than Feb 15th.
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2016   #2415
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Got to be someone very special to deserve that tomato box gift. I wouldn't even make that for a relative.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20161224_103202.jpg (235.8 KB, 57 views)
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote