Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old July 29, 2014   #61
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Brokenbar wrote:
And actually, the different "Costolutos" are all very nearly the same ... couple of others.

Brokenbar,

have you heard of a Costuloto de Marmande? This is the only one that I can find over here not listed as a generic Costuloto. Any info on it?

Thanks

Woz
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2014   #62
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Woz, Marmande is a french tomato that you see at a lot of the markets in France. It is kind of an all purpose tomato I think. It is slightly ribbed although I have never heard it called "Costoluto Marmande (If it has been, Carolyn will know...) It has a real "typical" tomato flavor, tangy and not sweet. Woz, If you post on the "Varieties Wanted" thread, I am sure there are many here who will be glad to send you all the paste/sauce varieties we have been talking about. I know Australia can be a real PILL about seeds so I usually send them in a greeting card...my favorite is "Congratulations on your new arrival! I can't send seeds from Mexico because the Mexican post is a nightmare...My Son in Wyoming does not grow these varieties. Ask for Costoluto Genovese, Federle, Costoluto Fiorentino, Costoluto Parma, Chinese, Cows Tit, Romeo,
Costoluto Sel Valente. IF you get offers, ask them to send them in a greeting card...Aussie Post lets them go through unmolested. Mary
Old July 29, 2014   #63
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Speaking of pastes, has anybody tried these and have any opinions?

Amish Paste
Aunt Lucy's Italian Paste
Belmonte
Bernardini Paste
Cornue Des Andes
German Red Strawberry
Lurley's Paste
Polish Linguisa
Red Pear Sel Franchi
Rinaldo
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2014   #64
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Brokenbar,

Thanks for the varitial info and the mail info. Will give it a shot.

Woz

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenbar View Post
Woz, ..............does not grow these varieties. Ask for Costoluto Genovese, Federle, Costoluto Fiorentino, Costoluto Parma, Chinese, Cows Tit, Romeo,
Costoluto Sel Valente. IF you get offers, ask them to send them in a greeting card...Aussie Post lets them go through unmolested. Mary
Old July 30, 2014   #65
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Drew,

Have grown Amish Paste here Down Under, consistant 10oz fruit that were absolutely delicous. Probably OK as a sauce tomato for most, Brokenbar would probably consider them to wet, but they were never around long enough to make the sauce pot. Have not grown the others.

Woz

[QUOTE=drew51;425452]Speaking of pastes, has anybody tried these and have any opinions?

Amish Paste..............
Old July 30, 2014   #66
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default Breeding for Pastes

Keep in mind that these are just my results in my garden -

Belmonte - I grew it one year from the Franchi seeds and got a lot of oddly shaped fruit. They market it as a slicer, which is what I was growing it for whereas Tania's lists it as being both.

Polish Linguisa - I grew it last year in my quest for an elongated variety that does well in my garden. It was a flop - low production, small fruit, fell early and fast to foliage disease. I've so far found only one elongated that does well for me (Nudi Family Heirloom) and one one that's showing a lot of promise this year (Hog Heart Paste).

Red Pear - did okay the first year I grew it and produced meaty, dense and dry tomatoes. Grew it two more years from the same seeds and got very little production and smaller fruit. I did give a seedling to dad la year ago and it produces like gangbusters in his garden. Mom declares they are so huge that she can almost fill a quart jar with just one tomato. It's become a regular.

Rinaldo - did produce a fair number of meaty, dense, large plums. Will probably get another try.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2014   #67
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Appreciate the reviews, I can only grow about 10 plants, and the regulars are filling the niches, so I want to try some that have a good chance of being regulars. I have seed to the ones listed from various sources. I don't really plan on buying any seed this next year.
Old July 30, 2014   #68
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I've been trying to narrow my pastes down to a few regulars myself, but keep getting sucked in to trying something new. Threads like this one certainly don't help!

So far I have three nailed down -- Costoluto Genovese, Nudi Family Heirloom, and Russo Sicilian Togeta. Still on the fence with Costoluto Fiorentino. It's doing well, but not as well as Genovese.

I tentatively had Romeo on the list, but Santa Maria is outperforming it this year, so re-thinking that one.

After having no luck with Franchi Giant Pear and dealing with struggling Goldman's Italian American and Liguria plants this year, I've decided to give up on pear shaped pastes.

What I'm learning is that in my garden, the ribbed varieties and large plums seem to be the happiest, small plums are...small, and except for Nudi, the elongated varieties tend towards BER.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2014   #69
drew51
Tomatovillian™

OK, well I'm going to have to try Nudi! I agree the other two are also on my regular list, no BER, and productive plants.
I tried to grow Santa Maria this year, but none germinated. I need another source.
Russo is impressive, first to produce so that's a plus. Yesterday I picked my first Genovese. I'm leaving for a week, so will pick any that have turned color.
On Russo brokenbar mentioned more juice than she likes, but mine had less than the first Genovese. They seem pretty dry to me! Nice color too!
Old July 30, 2014   #70
drew51
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=Whwoz;425486]Drew,

Have grown Amish Paste here Down Under, consistant 10oz fruit that were absolutely delicous. Probably OK as a sauce tomato for most, Brokenbar would probably consider them to wet, but they were never around long enough to make the sauce pot. Have not grown the others.

Woz

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew51 View Post

Amish Paste..............
Thanks! I'm growing a plant now, the first fruit is turning color, no BER either.
Old July 30, 2014   #71
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Drew

Thanks! I'm growing a plant now, the first fruit is turning color, no BER either.
Drew,

What more can I say than Yum! Used to pick them off the vine and eat straight away! Good thing that I have some correct seed coming this year after getting a contaminated lot previously.

Woz

Last edited by Whwoz; July 30, 2014 at 01:10 PM. Reason: typo
Old September 6, 2014   #72
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Ok Drew,

Report time please, How did you find these tommies?

Woz

Quote:

Amish Paste
Aunt Lucy's Italian Paste
Belmonte
Bernardini Paste
Cornue Des Andes
German Red Strawberry
Lurley's Paste
Polish Linguisa
Red Pear Sel Franchi
Rinaldo
Old September 6, 2014   #73
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whwoz View Post
Ok Drew,

Report time please, How did you find these tommies?

Woz
First seeds are on the way, hopefully they will make it? Two envelopes.
They might be too thick. Sorry for the delay.
Most of the seeds I bought. The list I sent states where!
I sent all but Costoluto Genovese, as I only have like 10 seeds.
Some I have tried, others I have but have not grown. I can only grow about 10 to 12 plants, maybe less next year. I rotate, and grow some in pots. Not sure I will have many pots open. In 2 years I can grow more.
This year was a good year, all plants did well. I'm making sauce right now...gotta go stir the pot!

Last edited by drew51; September 6, 2014 at 09:29 PM.
Old September 6, 2014   #74
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Drew, thanks for the seed, understand your situation re:number of plants. Hope sauce turns out well

Woz

Quote:
First seeds are on the way, hopefully they will make it? Two envelopes.
They might be too thick. Sorry for the delay.
Most of the seeds I bought. The list I sent states where!
I sent all but Costoluto Genovese, as I only have like 10 seeds.
Some I have tried, others I have but have not grown. I can only grow about 10 to 12 plants, maybe less next year. I rotate, and grow some in pots. Not sure I will have many pots open. In 2 years I can grow more.
This year was a good year, all plants did well. I'm making sauce right now...gotta go stir the pot!
Old September 6, 2014   #75
joseph
Tomatovillian™

You guys realize I suppose that the seed police monitor these forums. It'd be better to make arrangements for sharing seeds via private message. At least then they would be loath to use the information against you for fear of revealing the extent of the spying. But to make arrangements in public? That's asking for trouble. Smuggling is an activity to be done in private: Preferably by encrypted communication.

More details about the nature of one spy software is at:
APHIS Conference Report

Last edited by joseph; September 6, 2014 at 10:59 PM.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote