Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old May 20, 2016   #16
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Default LA0417 F3

Dar - I have 18 plants going in this weekend. Big robust seedlings, all PL. I'll let you know what I learn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LA0417 F3.jpg (512.7 KB, 150 views)
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2016   #17
NathanP
Tomatovillian™

I had 2 out of 19 F2 plants last year with fruits larger than 1". Both had plum shaped fruits, the largest produced 2" fruits.

I have F3 seed started from the largest fruiting plant, as well as from two that seemed to have higher septoria tolerance than the others.
NathanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2016   #18
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Figured I would pop in with a progress report. I put 10 plants from this cross out in my 'Hell's garden' plot this spring. This is my oldest garden and has the most disease issues, having had tomatoes in it continously for 10+ years.

Last fall I just left the diseased plants in the walkways between rows and this year planted lines that I'm trying to identify resistance in without removing anything to ensure I had disease pressure.

Septoria is present and on the plants. 4 have died from various other things, 1 is hanging on, 4 are ok and 1 is a standout, twice the size of the others and far more vigorous. Fruits are small and have a nipple on the standout plant. I've crossed it to several of my more advanced antho striped lines which also survive this garden.

This is from one of the 'doing ok' plants, the outstanding one doesn't show this level of damage.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2016   #19
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

LA0417 shows good tolerance to septoria. The F1 was distinctly susceptible. Segregation in the F2 gave 1 plant in 8 with good to very good septoria tolerance. I am seeing about 1 plant in 3 or 4 that has excellent tolerance in the F3 plants.

Keep selecting. Post a pic of that outstanding plant if you have time. I'd also love to hear from Frogleap.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2016   #20
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

I'll have to wait until I pull the plant next to it for a picture. It's the last one in the row before another line starts and next to one of my striped antho lines with no stake between them; i've got them set at 18 inches apart with no pruning so it's hard to tell where one starts and the other begins.

It does show spots on some lower leaves, but nothing like the other plants and no yellowing/dying leaves at this point. I'm thinking I may also try crossing it to Orange Jazz and seeing if we get a long fall for the fruit to mature just to try to move the genes into a large fruited line, my lines are all cocktail or salad sized.
Old August 27, 2016   #21
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
LA0417 shows good tolerance to septoria. The F1 was distinctly susceptible. Segregation in the F2 gave 1 plant in 8 with good to very good septoria tolerance. I am seeing about 1 plant in 3 or 4 that has excellent tolerance in the F3 plants.

Keep selecting. Post a pic of that outstanding plant if you have time. I'd also love to hear from Frogleap.
Fusion - My plants from this cross were at a remote nursery (near La Crosse, WI), so I only saw plants a couple times during the season. I took final notes/selections yesterday. A record wet August help foster incredible Septoria and EB disease pressure on the nursery. At least half of the ~150 plants (10 different lines) were completely defoliated. Your line was definitely better than average in disease tolerance - but there wasn't a standout plant. The best plants in this line were comparable to the best in several of the other lines in the nursery. There was one stand-out plant in another line, by far best in nursery - tracing to a cross I made to another S. pimpinellifolium line you sent me a couple years ago (dark pigment phenotype).
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2016   #22
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

The standout plant in my cesspool garden is the potato leaf one in the back. I got this angle to illustrate the severity of the environment it's growing in. Where it has come into contact with the diseased plants next to it the leaves are affected, but overall it has continued to grow, bloom and generally shrug it off.

The antho line in front of it was used in a couple of crosses with two more disease resistant lines this year, but based on last year's notes I didn't think it was going to make the cut. Pity, as it was very productive and had better than average flavor.

Sent from the Tardis