Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old February 25, 2013   #46
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktutt View Post
I will not pretend to have the level of understanding that you or Mark McCaslin have in this area, but my intuition tells me what you are describing is accurate when introgressing new genes from a a wild species.

However, in the case of genes that have already been introgressed into established breeding lines or the hybrids such as Iron Lady being used as sources of the genes, wouldn't that genetic cruft have already been dealt with?
SNPs are abundant and it is not difficult finding one either in the gene/allele of interest, or more likely just adjacent to the locus. As Mark Tutt suggests functional SNPs identified as markers for established traits are tightly linked and don't segregate. Dar is right that in the process of identifying an effective SNP marker for a new trait you need to do some range finding and evaluate mulitple markers. My interest is in stacking established traits for which effective SNP markers have already been identified and validated. Molecular markers, primarily SNPs, are now commonly used in plant breeding for this purpose.
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2013   #47
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogsleap farm View Post
Tomato breeding is a welcome escape from the bureaucratic complexities of my work life - you are a brave man to suggest this Mark.
Well, my work life also involves a fair amount of bureaucracy but the end result is all but invisible. I enjoy doing things in the physical world simply because it's something you can see and touch. Searching half a million lines of code for a problem that shows up when running on a 64 bit OS instead of a 32 bit OS is a lot less rewarding than I expect finding breeding lines that may help specialty market farmers be more competitive will be.

And this is something I see as contributing to the greater good. We'll see what comes of it, if it appears viable I'm going to want input from other interested parties.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2013   #48
bower
Tomatovillian™

For the present, my only hope of marler-assisted breeding involves using a sharpie to label the cups. Yes I do get a silly kick out of that.

Maybe in ten years' time we'll laugh at today's struggles, but we can only work in the present with what we've got. I hope you guys are successful in getting access to the technology for a reasonable price. Some science has to be done in the public interest, and I think we've seen so many examples of it, for which I am duly grateful!

I would not quit the work though, just because ten years later it may be sweetly expedited....
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2015   #49
snugglekitten
BANNED

My greenhouse is a living science experiment, something out of frankenstein for pathogens. Anything that makes it to July in there is hardcore.
snugglekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2015   #50
snugglekitten
BANNED

Wow, basically every brilliant breeder on T-ville is in this thread, amazing!

Anyone want to go with kickstarter?

I volunteer some hours if you are interested....
snugglekitten is offline   Reply With Quote