Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old June 11, 2013   #1
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Default Sophya’s Choice x Fahrenheit Blues

F-1 Sophya’s Choice x Fahrenheit Blues

I made this cross a couple of years ago. I was hoping to get some of the TSWV (Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus) resistance carried along with the parent Sophya from a couple of crosses previously. Fat chance of that happening…the clone I am bringing along is only 1/8 Sophya which has this resistance packageVFFAStTSWV).

Sophya’s Choice is a hybrid on a hybrid on a hybrid on a hybrid, therefore the genetic background is quite diverse.
The first picture is of the F-1 hybrid. It is heterozygous for wo, Anthocyanin fruit (Aft) and the recessive gene atroviolacea (atv). You can see just a hint of the woolly and just a hint of the blue on the fruit, the stem is not so blue, but I can see a trace of it even though atv is supposed to be recessive

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/tTBWOVC.png?1[/IMG]

The second picture is of the F-2 plant…. note that I selected a seedling that was 100% woolly and 100% blue stem/leaf. Now all I have to do is hope that the fruits are very blue too…. Aft/Aft.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/WjQWY1O.jpg?2[/IMG]

I will be making all kinds of crosses with this F-2 plant. The greenhouse is somewhere along the Snoqualmie River.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote