Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old July 24, 2010   #1
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Default Triple Climber Grow out

I'm starting this thread here as there are four of us growing this variety so we can take notes and post pictures. I came across a thread on the SSE tomato forum from an individual asking questions about a variety he has been growing in Fairbanks Alaska for the last 25 years named Triple Climber. It is a large PL pink beefsteak that has acclimated over the time he has grown it to the climatic conditions of Alaska. Anyway I contacted him about purchasing some seeds which I did with the intention of growing them out here in Germany and sharing some with Svalli who lives in Finland at about the same Latitude as Fairbanks. Also contacted AKgardengirl to see if she would be interested and got her some seeds as well whom she shared with Sherry AK.
One thing I've already learned about this variety is it definitely does not like the heat. I only have two fruit on it so far and hope the colder weather we are now experiencing will promote more fruit set. So here are a few pictures of my plant taken today. The last picture shows Triple Climber next to Purple Haze on the right. They are both about 6 feet tall. Ami
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_1864.JPG (338.1 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_1865.JPG (193.2 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_1866.JPG (318.3 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_1867.JPG (337.4 KB, 118 views)
Old July 24, 2010   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Ami, I can't quite tell from the photos but would you call is PL? it kinda looks that way.

And I ask b'c then how does it differ from the well known Triple-L-Crop which was also claimed to be a "climber" but in realitiy is just an indet with long vines.

Triple-L Crop was a commercial development and first introduced in the mid-80's. Large pink fruits.
Old July 24, 2010   #3
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

It is PL. My seedlings were very tall and vigorous. I say "were" because up till the time of potting up to final containers, they were the tallest of any I was growing. Eventually others overtook them for size though (including Big Sun Gold Select). I kept one plant and gave away the other two. The one I am growing is in the greenhouse and has 5 or 6 tomatoes on board. The fruit are slow-growing.

I'm very interested to see how this develops. The summer temps in Fairbanks are considerably warmer than here where I am. And of course this particular summer has been darned crappy other than a very pleasant May. So, we'll see.

Sherry
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2010   #4
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

Ditto what Sherry said. I have a couple of small fruits, maybe three. It is so depressing that I am not out hovering in the gh and checking several times during the day like usual. It did start out being the tallest but others now have that honor.
Fairbanks has some darn hot days and the fellow who sent me the seeds grows his outdoors. It's just not fair!
Sue
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2010   #5
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Never grown Triple-L-Crop so not familiar with it. Yes, it is a PL but the leaf shapes are kind of unusual. That is the reason for picture #4 which shows Triple Climber next to Purple Haze which has the more traditional PL leaves. Heres a link to the SSE forum that started it all. Ami

http://forums.seedsavers.org/showthr...triple+climber
Old July 25, 2010   #6
svalli
Tomatovillian™

I got two plants started and because they got leggy indoors I cut them and roooted the tops. The seed plants are in the tent greenhouse and rooted ones outside. They were also the tallest in the beginning, but now are the shortest. I do not yet have any fruit growing. The first set flower yellowed and fell off. Now the ones outside has started to bloom with many big flowers and the plants look much better than the ones in the tent.
Old July 25, 2010   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
Never grown Triple-L-Crop so not familiar with it. Yes, it is a PL but the leaf shapes are kind of unusual. That is the reason for picture #4 which shows Triple Climber next to Purple Haze which has the more traditional PL leaves. Heres a link to the SSE forum that started it all. Ami

http://forums.seedsavers.org/showthr...triple+climber
I remember that thread now and I see I posted quite a bit in it.

And on rereading the comments it looks like it is Trip-L Crop. but what I noticed was that Fishfly said the plant could take it down to 35F, which many of my varieties can, so I'm not too sure what's so special about his selection of this variety compared with many others.
Old July 25, 2010   #8
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

The point is he has grown this variety for 25 years at a latitude of 64 deg North which the variety has become acclimated to.

To quote Tom Wagner from his post in the above mentioned thread;

[Anytime someone keeps a variety isolated from others for an extended time, the tomato variety should be considered unique in many ways.

As a plant breeder, I have deep respect for varieties grown in a particular region for a long time. Acquired characteristics, adaptation, bottle necking of the germplasm, small mutations, elimination of the original bulk population diversity, the template of Fairbanks, Alaska growing conditions is a valid point of identity.]

Now of the many varieties you have that will go down to 35 deg F., how long will they stay at that temperature and will they grow in Fairbanks Alaska to maturity outside, unprotected!

Ami
Old July 25, 2010   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The point is he has grown this variety for 25 years at a latitude of 64 deg North which the variety has become acclimated to.

To quote Tom Wagner from his post in the above mentioned thread;

[Anytime someone keeps a variety isolated from others for an extended time, the tomato variety should be considered unique in many ways.

As a plant breeder, I have deep respect for varieties grown in a particular region for a long time. Acquired characteristics, adaptation, bottle necking of the germplasm, small mutations, elimination of the original bulk population diversity, the template of Fairbanks, Alaska growing conditions is a valid point of identity.]

Now of the many varieties you have that will go down to 35 deg F., how long will they stay at that temperature and will they grow in Fairbanks Alaska to maturity outside, unprotected!

Ami
Ami, I went back and read that SSE thread a couple of more times.

First, Trip-L Crop was not an heirloom, it was bred by the Porter Seed Co and woould have been available many years ago as Keith mentioned about seeing it in a Burgess catalog, etc.

Second, I don't know what is meant by keeping the bloodline pure, which are the words used. obviously that's meant to indicate perhaps isolation of some kind but Bill also asked Tom about what if...in terms of other varieties tha that might have been grown by using Green Zebra as an example.

Fish says they've changed color as he's grown them and suggested that it might be due to acclimation. I think a more reasonable suggestion would be a change from pink to red due to an epidermis mutation.

He says that they can now take 35 F whereas before they were much more sensitive to low temps. That' possible. But it's still 35 when there are those claims out there for either Siberia or Siberian, I can't remember which and those wrods have been repeated thru the years in the YEarbook and elsewhere and quite frankly I don't know how true that is.

But given that they can take 35F without being covered, as he said, can be said about many other varieties as well. To take it means that they can survive a temp of 35 F and then go on to grow and produce and that's the context in which I'm answering the question.
Old July 25, 2010   #10
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

My Triple Climber is right next to Stupice, and I don't notice any difference in the PL foliage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg triple_climber1.jpg (90.3 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg triple_climber2.jpg (86.5 KB, 64 views)
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2010   #11
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

You are assuming the variety is Triple-L-Crop.

Quote:
Triple Climber goes back further than SSE. It was sold in my grandfathers old gardening magazines (which he stopped getting in the late 70's). he had seed but didnt grow it much because it went every where. I grew it one time in North Carolina. It was as you described. It wasn't productive in that climate so I never bothered with it again.
So lets get back to the original intent of this thread which is for the growers of this variety I named above to document and post pictures as we grow it to maturity. Ami
Old July 26, 2010   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You are assuming the variety is Triple-L-Crop.

So lets get back to the original intent of this thread which is for the growers of this variety I named above to document and post pictures as we grow it to maturity. Ami
Yes, I am assuming it's Trip-L Crop or a version thereof:

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Climbing_Trip-L-Crop

First offered by Burgess in 1937 as noted above.

(CLIMBING TRIP-L-CROP- I never had a tall enough ladder, long vining potato leaf type which may be same as ITALIAN TREE, medium sized flattened deep pink-crimson fruit, vines are disease susceptable. The ads in the 1960 garden magazines were just great! Expect bushels of tomatoes from one vine. There appear to be pink and red strains about. I grew a pink variety in the 1960's, Porter's sold a bright red fruited kind under same cultivar name in the 1980's.)

The above from Ken Ettlinger's LI variety data:

http://www.liseed.org/tomlist.html

Ami, I was just trying to understand the rationale for doing the experiment based on what Fishfly said about tolerance to 35 F weather as well as trying to identify what he might have been growing, as well as attempting to coordinate some posts made by folks in Fishfly's thread at SSE with other data and where he also said what he had could have crossed with the variety Giant Tree, which I've also grown and is a typical tomato variety , not a tree type tomato variety.

I won't post in your thread again. I hadn't realized that this thread was just for those growers who are working with it as you just posted above for I assumed that if posted publicly it was open to all. So I apologize for not understanding that and posting in your thread.
Old July 26, 2010   #13
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, right now we are doing the grow out and collecting data on Triple Climber. No such thing as a closed thread at Tville. I think it is better till we get all the data in, then others can jump in with their idea's, research/conclusions on what we came up with. And yes, seeds will be made available to those who would like to give it a try, especially those that live in the north where this variety should perform well. Ami
Old July 26, 2010   #14
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

Default Triple Climber

Here are some pics of Triple Climber today. I have 3 fruits, one being very small.
Sue
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Triple Climber 7:26:10.jpg (318.8 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg TC 7:26:10.jpg (111.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg TC largest fruit 7:26:10.jpg (150.1 KB, 62 views)
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2010   #15
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Here are photos taken tonight about my outdoors grown Triple Climbers.

Clicking the picture should open a bigger view.

I have a lot of flowers, but no tomatoes yet. The weather is still warmer than normal, but it can get cooler any day and then will real test for this variety begin. I have a Black Cherry next to this one for comparison.

I noticed that the leaves started to grow wrinkled when I added a bit of tomato MG to the water reservoir in the SWC.

Sari