Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 1, 2019   #16
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsee View Post
Great idea Harry, thank you. I will definitely do something similar next season. I think I still have Porter here, so will try them.

mcsee

If your interested, I grew a hybrid last summer that bloomed, set fruit, produced very well; with great tasting tomatoes in the highest summer heat. I planted the purchased seedlings in 110 degree heat in full sun in late July. The variety is Heat Master. I have no idea if the seeds or seedlings are available in Australia. I purchased seeds this year and germinated twenty plants. Normally I try to plant out as early as possible after the last frost date. This year I am afraid to plant out until it gets hot in late May or early June. They also produced large tomatoes until the first freeze of fall. The seeds are available in the states, but not everyone has them plus they cost about $5.00 for ten seeds. They seem to perform best in full sun and not as well in partial shade. There is also a variety named Heat Wave but it did not perform well for me in the heat a few years ago.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2019   #17
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

Thanks DonDuck, sounds exactly what we need here. Not a chance these would be available here anytime soon, worse luck.

mcsee
mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2019   #18
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

In the 4 weeks since this thread was started, Townsville has had its annual rainfall inside a week, with the rain crossing the main range, flooding 55 million acres at its peak, killing half a million cattle and flooding down through the channel country in South West Queensland and will probably reach Lake Eyre. Now after a relatively mild February by our standards we are having another block of days around 100F. Getting dry thunder storms sparking bushfires. Nothing to close at this stage, fortunately wind has been low.
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2019   #19
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whwoz View Post
Yes it seems to be that our weather follows yours by 6 months

Give yourself credit, you might be 6 months ahead of us

Hope the heat breaks soon but suspect it will be a while. These extreme events are dangerous.
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2019   #20
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

We've been hearing about the flooding in Queensland in the news. So sad about all the animals. I hope things settle down to comfortable soon for you all.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2019   #21
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

We are currently having a warm spell with temperatures in the high 30C's, which I hope is the last of it here. We're three days into our Autumn (Fall) so we'd expect the hotter weather to be behind us now, but mother nature is full of surprises as we've all seen.
mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2019   #22
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsee View Post
Thanks DonDuck, sounds exactly what we need here. Not a chance these would be available here anytime soon, worse luck.

mcsee
Just ask a friend here in thd USA to get the seeds after you order and pay for them, with shipping to the USA friend's house. Then that friend can ship them to you.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2019   #23
bower
Tomatovillian™

Oh my gosh, I hadn't heard about your terrible flooding. Fire after flood, what could be worse. Stay safe, friends, and I wish you some moderate weather ahead! Boring is good, when it comes to the weather! ....
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2019   #24
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Oh, please, you Aussies, upload a little of that lovely heat to us; we're freezing up here!

If only we could redistribute the heat & water, wouldn't life be grand?
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2019   #25
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Bower, the flooding and fires are 2000 km apart, fires bad enough but the unfortunate people who have been flooded were in drought beforehand, some had not seen rain for over 2 years.

Nan, yes it would be good if we could even out the world's weather, but it will probably only get more extreme I fear
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2019   #26
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
I saw what happened to your Karma Pink and others on one crazy hot day, while popping in and out between the outages here. Your temperatures would be unbearable to us.

Good luck with the poor tomatoes... they are always a goldilocks.
I hope our Texan friends can tell you something you can still grow in the shade, when the heat gets out of hand!

My heatmaster hybrid tomatoes thrived in the highest heat and full sun last summer while the other varieties were wilting and dying. I'm growing them again this year, but I will not plant out until ir starts getting hot. They don't seem to like cool weather or any shade. They also were very productive with large, tasty tomatoes in the high heat.
Old March 5, 2019   #27
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

I apologize. My comment on Heatmaster was redundant since I had already posted about it earlier in the thread. I sometimes get a little wordy. It may be due to hopefully having found a variety of tomato which seems to love high heat and will grow the same every year.

I don't know what the laws proscribe, but it would seem we can purchase the seed in the United States and send them to you unopened, in Australia.

Last edited by DonDuck; March 5, 2019 at 11:53 AM.